Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

How should you play the open league at 1700+ points?

Old
How should you play the open league at 1700+ points? - Wed Jan 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
There's two things I enjoy:
A good game of poker, and a free game of poker.
While the Open League is not the former by any means, It certainly does not cost anything and therefore has my utmost approval.

My question is how should you play when you have around 1700 points (or more). Should you sit out for 30mins, so that you garuntee yourself a positive, or slightly negative score? Or should you play your AA, AK, KK (the ones that we learnt very quickly not to play early on) and hope for that double up which you will need to keep increasing your points.

Thanks for your help and time

Old
Wed Jan 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13abie View Post
There's two things I enjoy:
A good game of poker, and a free game of poker.
While the Open League is not the former by any means, It certainly does not cost anything and therefore has my utmost approval.

My question is how should you play when you have around 1700 points (or more). Should you sit out for 30mins, so that you garuntee yourself a positive, or slightly negative score? Or should you play your AA, AK, KK (the ones that we learnt very quickly not to play early on) and hope for that double up which you will need to keep increasing your points.

Thanks for your help and time
Welcome to the forum abie.
This is a little complicated to answer as like so many things, it depends.
Let's start with maybe taking a look at this very informative post.
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...al-in-tourneys

You should hear some other good feedback from members on your question, but you would need to address what your goal is. Is it to just cash in the Open League? Is it to win it? Is it to just get promoted to the Premier League? All these things have to be considered in order to give a good answer.
The goal in the Open League is to avoid negative finishes. As your score increases, so must your finish position in tourneys in order to get a positive score.
For example, if you have 1500 and finish in 100th, you'll get more points added then if you have 1700 and finish in 100th. Also, the higher your score is, the more points you'll lose for a bad finish.

Members here have a good understanding of how to acquire positive points and they discuss it quite a bit. If you do some searching in the forums, you should find other valuable info.

Since it's your first post, here's some tips for getting started. After you have a look, let us know if you have any questions on them or anything else.

Best o' luck!

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 12:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi 13abie!

Welcome to the forum.

The way that I went about this, from when the US players were able to be in the old skill league, was to play them similar, but not to take as many chances early. I'd still play AA, KK or even QQ against the right opps in the right situation. The hand that I'd be a bit more cautious with is AK, as it's not a made hand. If I wouldn't hit an A or K, it's only ace high and can easily be beaten.
With a made hand, I'd still play aggressively, but I'd be more cautious until I got a made hand.

Hope this helps, as it's the way that I played in the skill league when the US players were eligible.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 03:29 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Without knowing your expectations for month end, the optimum play with 1,700 points on the board would be no different to the strategy required for any score below 2,000. Time out every hand. Never VPIP and only ever bet if you flop the nuts on your BB.

Come back for recommended adjustments once you've topped the 2k mark

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:27 AM
(#5)
All great advice 13abie.

For proof I offer my January OPEN LEAGUE stats. 17 positive point tournaments in a row and 23 of 24. (Including today's 9am E.S.T. tourney.) First time I've played that nitty consistently.

Stall every hand from start to finish and every chance to just check. It will send some people over the edge but you can keep the info window on stats or whatever. (If the Z-MEN or insults bother you.) Or you can have some fun with it and tilt them.

Best of luck at the tables and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2012
And there's the primary problem of this league set-up. Players get rewarded for how long they can stall, not how well they can play poker. It's pathetic. Was on a table with pashich9704 the other night, and it was pretty piss-poor. EVERY hand timed out, and as soon as his status changed to "sitting out", he'd quickly change to "I'm back" and we go through it all over again. The strategy works, but where is the fun or SKILL in that?? People who *play* poker should be rewarded, not scum like this. Sad to say that the player mentioned is in the top ten. When does bad etiquette become cheating..?

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 11:37 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
It's not cheating, or bad etiquette, it's using the tools you've been given to beat the system. The same basic skill applies to every tourney you will play, figure out the best way to exploit it, and go from there.

There are some skills to be learned in the "Skill League".

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 01:43 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
If you want to improve your ranking the only way is to play every tourney, everyday the best you can. If you can only play about 1-2 tourneys a day then you better be real good or you won't make the top 100.

My goal each month is to beat last months finish. If I do I'm happy with that.

Just have fun

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by montimus85 View Post
And there's the primary problem of this league set-up. Players get rewarded for how long they can stall, not how well they can play poker. It's pathetic. Was on a table with pashich9704 the other night, and it was pretty piss-poor. EVERY hand timed out, and as soon as his status changed to "sitting out", he'd quickly change to "I'm back" and we go through it all over again. The strategy works, but where is the fun or SKILL in that?? People who *play* poker should be rewarded, not scum like this. Sad to say that the player mentioned is in the top ten. When does bad etiquette become cheating..?

Well here's a simply stellar example of a player who doesn't get that...

A: ...the League is free so maybe you should un-bunch your undies and appreciate it for what it is---a chance for peeps to boost their BR and to learn a little patience and discipline. Oh and also that different structures require different strategies and tactics. Now you may very well RECOGNIZE that the stall and fold strategy is profitable in the League,but you are incapable of adapting YOUR game to it and maximizing YOUR profit potential.

So who's fault is that?

B:...for a player like pashich and the vast majority of the players in the League even a $5 boost to their BR would be significant,never mind a $20,$50,$100 or better one. So if grinding multiple games and stalling and folding can get them there and allow them to grow a pennyroll exponentially then that's a +EV play. I've heard rumor that recognizing +EV situations and capitalizing on them is a good thing in poker. Maybe pashich and many others have as well.

Crazy us.

C:..that coming in here and calling a fellow player "scum" because you don't like the way they play poker,whilst in the middle of you own piss and moan fest,is simply bad form. And decidedly low rent.

Oh yeah,welcome to the forum.

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
It's not cheating, or bad etiquette, it's using the tools you've been given to beat the system. The same basic skill applies to every tourney you will play, figure out the best way to exploit it, and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplerboyf5 View Post
If you want to improve your ranking the only way is to play every tourney, everyday the best you can. If you can only play about 1-2 tourneys a day then you better be real good or you won't make the top 100.

My goal each month is to beat last months finish. If I do I'm happy with that.

Just have fun

On the flip side of the coin,THESE two posts should be sticky's.

Old
Fustrated with league - Fri Mar 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
(#11)
Since: Mar 2012
Ever since I broke the 2000 points mark in the open league it's been grueling to continue to rise just stalling and folding no longer works to net me positive results. After a bad run 2day I'm prob sitting back around 1950. How can I adjust to continue increasing my score?

Old
Sat Mar 31, 2012, 11:46 AM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by montimus85 View Post
I would actually share your frustration about the Open League. I had to play it in July with everyone else to qualify for the Premier League. I hated every minute as I refuse to do the whole timegrinding thing. I swore never to play it again.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of players who love it and hate the fact they have to sit out every other month whilst they yo-yo between Premier and Open. I also know one player who regularly gets very high in the Open League without timegrinding.

So the answer is obvious. Qualify for the Premier League and don't look back!

I'd also point out that complaining about a free league probably doesn't go down too well with certain members of this forum who live in an oppressive state where they are not free to play poker. They would love the ability to play for something more meaningful that playchips again.

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 10:07 AM
(#13)
My thoughts are this. If the format can be exploited in such a way that it takes a vast amount of enjoyment from the game then it becomes a broken game.

There is nothing "wrong" with people playing the game however they wish as long as the stick to the rules. As for "bad etiquette" well that term is really only when an action has nothing to do with the result, and that is not the case in this instance so it is not bad etiquette even if you do not like it.

But that does not mean the game is not broken and does not need fixing.

Maybe they should issue each account with 50 tickets a month? That way making it a minimum of 5 and max of 50? That would help somewhat I am sure.

Last edited by kondor101; Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
(#14)
Since: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post

Hi Ive only just found out about this technique a few days ago of scoring points and i have found it very beneficial, i checked on the leader board and found out that the top players of the league have played 22 tournaments already this month and have an average of 700 to 200. So you don't have to win every tournament to get to the top.

I want to thank PSO for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts on this subject and for the chance of winning some dough.

Peace

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 01:25 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlying Eric View Post

I want to thank PSO for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts on this subject and for the chance of winning some dough.

Peace
Hi Eric!

Welcome to the forum! Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with everything that PSO has to offer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 03:28 PM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2010
An interesting topic this.

In terms of taking time to excessive time to play your hand and winding down the clock, I dont see anything wrong with this - even if as a personal preference I would rather that play was a bit quicker. I guess the point of this approach is to allow competitors to play hands and bust out while you play less hands - if everyone played this way the tactic would be neutralised.

A point of greater interest to me is the number of games a player plays within a month. Looking at the current leader of the Premier League, this player has played 24 games in the first 7 days - a triumph of stamina as well as poker playing ability! I think allowing players to play up to a given number of games has merit, as mentioned in Kondor101's post, as this ensures a level playing field against which players can be assessed. I would suggest a game a day for the month as a reasonable starting point - maybe too low for some.

I should finish on a positive note, as I do think that the leagues really offer a great opportunity to grow your BR and develop your game. A big thank you to the PSO team!

GL everyone.

John (Snapper)

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
(#17)
Since: Nov 2011
Tight, Play Tight.

Old
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
(#18)
I haven't been stalling and folding at all this month, and I have only 3 negative results so far this month, and I'm at around 1900 (more after the last tourney results are published) points now.

What I have been doing is

1) joining the tourney late, around 20-30 minutes after it starts. By then it's down to 4000 or so left, which means less negative points if I get a bad beat.

2) then waiting for premium pocket pairs, and shoving them when I get them. Pretty much some loose donkey calls it every single time and so far I've been having good results having them hold up.

3) folding stuff like AJ, AQ, except in late position, I even fold them if someone else limps in. If it's folded to me in late position, and I have < 10 BB, I'll be jamming those.

4) never limping in. You have to conserve as many chips as you can while waiting for those JJ/QQ/KK/AA to come along.

So far it's working for me and I haven't had to stall.

Old
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
What I have been doing is

1) joining the tourney late, around 20-30 minutes after it starts.
I know what you mean, but I think you will have confused many

Old
re post - Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:30 PM
(#20)
Since: Aug 2011
donk,donk,fold,donk,fold,donk,donk,donk,donnk,fold ,fold,donk,donk,donk,donk,donk,donk,fold, donk,fold,donk,donk,donk,donk,donk,fold,donk,donk, fold,donk repeat this pattern over and over it seems to work for many

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com