Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Advise on KQs

Old
Advise on KQs - Thu Jan 19, 2012, 07:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Hi all

Could just do with abit of advise on playing KQ suited, its a hand i tend to pick up alot later on in a sng mtt so how do you guys play it could do with some info in the following order

middle stage. early -middle postion
late stage. early- middle position, i tend to get it UTG or UTG+... up until now i basically don't play these cards i just fold, i don't think they can take a 3bet and i'm not the kind of player that limps into a pot. I am just trying to open my range ever so slightly i don't need to know how play them in late postion it's an obvious raise if its folded around to me and as for playing them in the early stage well my stack can take it so i will play them then.
Also would you push with them with say 10-13BB UTG in the late stage with them having an extra 2% equity.

(Paul)

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Middle stage of the game i might open raise with them if the players still to act are calling stations or Nitty. Otherwise I waiting for late position for the steal.

For sure i'm shoving UTG with only 10-13 BB left.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:24 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPest72 View Post
Hi all

Could just do with abit of advise on playing KQ suited, its a hand i tend to pick up alot later on in a sng mtt so how do you guys play it could do with some info in the following order

middle stage. early -middle postion
late stage. early- middle position, i tend to get it UTG or UTG+... up until now i basically don't play these cards i just fold, i don't think they can take a 3bet and i'm not the kind of player that limps into a pot. I am just trying to open my range ever so slightly i don't need to know how play them in late postion it's an obvious raise if its folded around to me and as for playing them in the early stage well my stack can take it so i will play them then.
Also would you push with them with say 10-13BB UTG in the late stage with them having an extra 2% equity.

(Paul)
ill answer you bro lol,kq suited utg,utg plus 1,
nothing wrong with shoving on them if you are low stacked period,
aa,ak,qq,aq,kk, they are your only real worries
jj and under you still have two overcards so not a problem in my opinion.

Playing them early in a game,now thats a tricky one,utg kq suited,hmmmm depends on the table in my opinion and the opps against you.
e.g if your sitting on a table and a guy after you always raises do you want to mix it with him out of posistion with kq?
Where as if my table was the sort of table where every 1 is limping everywhere yes i would 3 bet that .
Its not the first move though you should consider,its what happens next,or what are you going to do if you get reraised?
All said and done kq suited is a part of the best hand in poker,the royal flush,yes the odds are slim but the outs with kq suited are good.Obvious a tricky situation utg and out of posistion but if you do decide to play them just try to use pot control and well keep it cheap as possible.

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:40 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey PokerPest!

Here's the way I try to look at KQs, but of course, the majority of my decision will depend on the table dynamics.

middle stage, if I'm not a short stack.... they're mucked from early or middle unless there are multiple limpers before me, then I'll flat and see if I can hit a flush.

late: same approach for early position. Middle, depends on the players after me and how many limpers before me.
I will shove with KQs at the right table, but I'm not calling a shove with it. KQs is behind any ace or pair which is a large majority of the range of a player shoving.

Regardless of position I'm in, if I'm going to play the hand and I'm opening, then I'd make a std opening raise.

Hope this helps,

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Talking
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thanks guys
Much appreciated

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com