Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Playing 99 in small blind

Old
Playing 99 in small blind - Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
0.25c tourny (45man) - 25 remaining

I raised here because he had a VPiP of 77% over 31 hands. I wasn't entirely sure what to do when he came over the top, he wasn't particularly agressive player and this was the first time I'd seen him 3bet. In retrospect a fold may have been better, but I think I was tilting a little bit against him.

The flop made things tricky, I figured I had 2nd pair, with 6 outs for the nuts so I made a semi bluff. He raised me to 1k and I was stumped. I figured with pot odds of 6:1 and card odds of 7:1 against a preflop 3 bet meant I was probably out. Reluctantly I folded.

I need serious help with this pot, I was stumped on every street!

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
what was his pre-flop raise %? this way we can know if he is a loose passive or LAG pre-flop. From his action i think he had a very strong hand too.

pre flop: your raise there can be very troubling if you can't win the pot immediately. Therefore you should make a larger raise to 500 or so. But with BU so loose, it still kind of risky. I think we can keep the pot small, just complete and play it post flop. If the flop is unfavorable like it did in this hand we can get away cheaply.

BU limp 3bet is an unusual play. I usually see it as they have a big hand and was trying to be tricky. If he limp and call raise a lot, we can be pretty sure he had a big hand here. If he is stealing he would have make a raise himself. I also think we should only choose between going all-in or fold to his 3bet. If you call, you should be prepare to go all-in post flop if there is no ace or king on the board.

Old
Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
If this guy plays 70% of hands, I like isolating him even though you're OOP, although given your stack depth, it's pretty awkward to do since you stand to lose a big pot if you play it badly. I'd personally play it differently; I'd try to avoid the awkwardness in one of two ways:

1) Just complete the SB and setmine (very +EV), or

2) for a more high-variance play, shove. If this guy is as bad as he looks, you can probably shove 40bb profitably. It sounds bad, but I think that would be +EV, too, because I can see most villains like this limp/calling every Ax imaginable.

I prefer #1, myself.

When he 3bets you pre after you raised small, you can fold if you don't have reason to believe that he's spazzing out with something like K6. You've already said that you don't have reason to believe that he's light, and I tend to agree with Keldraco that people don't do this with anything you're crushing very often. A BU limp/backraise is often just a passive player realizing that they have a good hand, but since they haven't raised yet, they can't raise now and expect to get action. I like folding pre.

Since you can't really play a 3bet pot OOP with only 99, your only alternative if you don't believe this guy is to shove. He's probably not going to turn his whiffed AK-type hands into bluffs, so your best shot of getting the rest of his stack is by getting the rest in pre, imo.

Old
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 01:04 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
i will raise pre also to 400 then if he reraise to 1000. i will just fold.

because it's hard to know where we are with 9's. we can't be confident with our hands with just 9 the moment any card higher than 9 comes out even without a card higher than 9 we still don't know where we stand.

The only time we will only know that our hand is good if we flop set and our odds is not favorable.

That's why I will choose fold pre.

your bet of 300 in a 2000+ pot I think is not good. Because it will only shows weakness and your opp already showed that he have a monster hand pre flop so if you can't shove it just fold it.

Old
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi 13abie!

With 25 to go, it's still a long way from the money bubble. Due to this, I'm looking to take a few less chances, while still being able to accumulate chips.

Preflop, since I'm in the SB and will have to play the entire hand out of position, I'd just call preflop and try to setmine. The button could easily be calling with 2 overcards to 99 and there will normally be at least one of them on the flop. If I was in position, I'd highly consider raising, but not when I'm out of position, as I try to avoid playing bloated pots out of position.

On the flop, I'd check and see what the opps did. If they made a small bet that priced me in, I'd call it. If they made a large bet, then I'd fold and look for a better situation when I would be in position. To price in a 6 out draw, then I would need to put in 24% of what the pot will be when my chips would go in (6 outs * 4% per out since it's on the flop). If I'm priced in.. then I'll stay and hope to hit.

I agree with Marvin, that if I would c-bet the flop, the c-bet amount would need to be in the 1/2 pot range, as that would price out someone that only has a draw. A lower bet on the flop will not only give the opps the price to call, but can show weakness and allow the opp to bluff-raise.

If it was later in the tourney and I needed chips to get ITM or I had 5-10BB left in my stack, then I would consider open-shoving preflop in this situation.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi 13abie!

With 25 to go, it's still a long way from the money bubble. Due to this, I'm looking to take a few less chances, while still being able to accumulate chips.

Preflop, since I'm in the SB and will have to play the entire hand out of position, I'd just call preflop and try to setmine. The button could easily be calling with 2 overcards to 99 and there will normally be at least one of them on the flop. If I was in position, I'd highly consider raising, but not when I'm out of position, as I try to avoid playing bloated pots out of position.

On the flop, I'd check and see what the opps did. If they made a small bet that priced me in, I'd call it. If they made a large bet, then I'd fold and look for a better situation when I would be in position. To price in a 6 out draw, then I would need to put in 24% of what the pot will be when my chips would go in (6 outs * 4% per out since it's on the flop). If I'm priced in.. then I'll stay and hope to hit.

I agree with Marvin, that if I would c-bet the flop, the c-bet amount would need to be in the 1/2 pot range, as that would price out someone that only has a draw. A lower bet on the flop will not only give the opps the price to call, but can show weakness and allow the opp to bluff-raise.

If it was later in the tourney and I needed chips to get ITM or I had 5-10BB left in my stack, then I would consider open-shoving preflop in this situation.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
agree here..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com