Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

6 max - My new favorite game!

Old
6 max - My new favorite game! - Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
If you haven't tried 6 max yet, give it a shot! That's the main reason for this post.

My new favorite game is the ‘6 max SNG’, and compared to the ‘9 max SNG’, it’s a turbo format (5 minute levels not 10); it has a shorter starting stack (1000 not 1500); is easily less than ½ the time. And, there’s more action, because of its structure.

Early last year (when I was learning NLHE), I would never have thought 6 max was a game of skill. There isn’t enough time to work your stack; too many players playing aggressive; losing one hand, may drastically limit the way you play the rest of the tourney. You definitely don’t want to be a tight player, but at the same time you need some restraint; I like to call it ‘Controlled Aggression’.

I’ve played slightly more games of 6 max this month (January 2012); compared to my 9 max games, for the entire month of December (2011). I won as much this month (2/3 into the month), as I did the entire month of December (in which I only played 9 max). An added bonus… it only took ½ the time, to win the same amount! Prior to the 9 max games, I played a lot of 27 man MTT's. I have the time to play longer structured games, but really enjoy the pace of the 6 max game. 6 max also allows me to squeeze in a game (or three) when my time is limited.

I play 3 tables at one time, and am getting ITM around 50% of the time. Unfortunately, I can't keep up with the note taking while multi-tabling. I may try to jot down critical info on paper, and then add them to the HEM notes during my review (at the moment I only use PS notes). I find the color-coding option that PS has, is very good for labeling certain types of players. Players come in many different varieties (like Heinz ketchup), and I could really make use of a 2-color system (per player). Maybe an outer and inner ring, or perhaps, a top half and bottom half ring, would be a workable add-on (software wise).

I recently read this on PS (pros commenting on the TCOOP format):
http://www.pokerstarsblog.com/tcoop/...nk-090172.html

May the cards be with you!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com