Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was this a mistake?

Old
Was this a mistake? - Sun Jan 22, 2012, 06:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Hand 34, $3.50 buyin 27man SnG with 21 left.

Was it a mistake to muck the A8 of diamonds here? Of course I threw a fit when I saw the flop but still...

Fortunately it didn't matter as I grabbed both their stacks the very next hand, but still.

Chip Leader, hand 47:
I'd just been moved to this table, so no reliable stats on this guy yet.

4th in chips, hand 65. Villain has a 35% VPIP, 9% PFR over 30 hands

-----------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Last edited by Ov3rsight; Sun Jan 22, 2012 at 06:57 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 06:56 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
I think this was a good fold. What are you hoping for on the flop? An ace? A flush/flush draw? You'll have no idea where you stand because the SB could easily have a better ace here. I'd rather fold and wait for a better spot. You have 28 big blinds and there's no need to enter a multiway pot (well, UTG was depserate and shortstacked, but still) with a weak ace, and not this early.

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

Remember, do not be results oriented. Once a player folds their cards, anything else that happens in the hand is irrelevant.

In this hand, if it was only the small stack in the hand, from the BB, I would definitely call here. With basically 3BB left, the opp should be shoving a very wide range and A8s plays very well against their shove range and it's not many chips to call their bet of 324.

However, in this hand, the SB calls the shove first. Knowing that the SB is out of position with the BB yet to act with a stack that has them covered..... this opp should be doing it with a hand that they would like being in a 3-way pot with OOP. While A8s plays well against the shover's range, it does not play anywhere near as good in a 3-way pot against the SB's overall range (bigger A or pair is the majority of their range).

Due to this and with it being early in the tourney, I like the fold here and would look for a better situation where I knew I was the favorite in the hand.

The shove by the opp with KQs is the correct play by them. A call with J 10 off, out of position is a very loose call and is something that I would be noting about that opp, to use later in the tourney.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com