Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Improvement required

Old
Improvement required - Sun Jan 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Well, I would imagine so.

Just as before, I've started tracking every situation in which I am where either the opponent or I is all-in.
Somehow I got the feeling things aren't going as they should in that department. It's a tedious task, but I got 45 hand histories and 200 all-ins covered now, so halfway there.

I'm keeping track of who got the money in first, what the hole cards were, who had the best hand, who won it and approximately how many outs there were. Then it's a matter of calculating some percentages.

total all-ins: 203
pushes v calls: 52/48
best hand vs worst hand: 52/48
best hand when pushing: 45%
best hand when calling: 59%
wins with best hand: 77%
wins with worst hand: 34%
total wins: 117 (58%)

Now I'm not a happy camper here. It seems when I enter a all-in situation by getting my money in first, it's a losing point. So I'm going to have to tighten up there. That sucks, since most of the situations are where I'm down to a 8-15 BB stack, and you can't really wait around much longer then.

Good news is: HEM2 says I'm definitely positive on playing TT and up and the suited AK,AQ,AJ,AT. Not doing so wel with the suited connectors tho, only the AK, KQ, QJ, T9 and 98 work for me. Yes, even the QJ

And guess what - definitely losing money on playing the 7,2 offsuit

So, first action point: get the money in better

Second part of the problem, I'd hope someone has a suggestion or two:
I'm doing alright usually until the final tabl of the 27mans. I can grind it down or make some chips early on, doesn't really matter much. By the time we hit the final 9 I'm halfway in the pack. I seem to have some troubles pushing through to the money. Not getting the big hands, and you can't wait around for those anyway with the blinds getting bigger, so lossening up. It would seem, loosening up too far. So tighten up probably, but that tends to keep hacking into my stack to where I get too low and then another 6th or 7th place.

So second action point: improve final table play.

Time to watch some videos

------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Last edited by Ov3rsight; Sun Jan 22, 2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old
Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
I have the same problem. I play 12 person 6 max's where the top 3 pay.

I am the king of making it to 4th place pretty much wasting the hour or more it took me to get the final place that doesn't pay.

When I try run better because I don't want to go into the last 4 or 5 people low stacked, I get burned.

Got my ass mopped all over the floor today. After winning the first tournament thinking it was going to be a good day, I played 9 more times in which I bubbled out 5 times and finish in worse positions where I got into to fights with AQs and the other player had the same thing only he/she would hit there flush.

I'm at the point where the game is causing me more stress then anything so I'm really thinking about throwing in the towel.

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:35 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hmm, I look at this issue a bit differently.

You have listed the hands in which you have shoved AND been called, stating you have the best hand 45% of the time. How many times have you shoved AND everyone has folded? I think you need to take this into account before you start changing your shoving range.

For example:
Near the bubble and it folds around to you in the sb holding 72o and an M of 3. If you shove and the bb wakes up with AK, you are still not much worse than a 40% / 60% underdog. If you are dominated you are sill winning about 30% of the time.

However, the bb isn't going to call your shove every time. Let's say he is loose (or has a big stack) and is calling 50% of the time. So, 50% of the time you win the blinds and 50% of the time he calls. Let's say it's a bad situation and you are dominated. You are still winning another 15%. So, in this situation, you are still winning 65% of the time either through them folding or winning a showdown. Your stack size will have a huge impact on how often you get called.

Moshman talks a bunch about this is his book. Shoving atc is better than getting blinded out. GL

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:53 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Yeah, in SNG's, if you're usually pushing all-in with the hopes of getting called, you're probably way too tight.

Hope you manage to work through your problems. It's great that you're putting in lots of time to research your own play. It's good to be diligent.

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 07:25 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
What hem stats do you have - use on hud?
Upload if you want an 27mans hh example of you playing as stated, and we can see if you miss
stealing or shoving spots.

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2011
@akisno: TheLangolier has scheduled a full review of one of my sessions on the 6th and 7th. I'm hoping that turns up somethingn too, although my style of play has already changed a bit.

@Roland: I had pondered tracking those too, but didn't. I do know there's a lot of those, possibly more than these 200.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com