Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Why play the league?

Old
Question
Why play the league? - Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi all,

this may be a strange question but i would like to know why people play in the open and prem leagues.

I suspect the reasons to be varied and wonder if any one plays for the same reason as i do.

thanks in advance

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:40 PM
(#2)
Here are my 2 cents,

First, probably 80% play because it's free and have no clue what the leagues are all about. Then you probably have another 15% who play for the big prize and the you have the final 5% who use the leagues to learn how to play.

I used it to put in practice what I've learned. I needed a place to practice position, patience, note taking, and much much more. It's a place to practice without losing money. It's funny to see people come here, learn a thing or two and go practice with real money.

I practiced for about a year playing in both leagues, but now, I'm putting to use the learning and all the practice of the last 18 months to real use. But don't get me wrong, if I need more practice, I'll be back playing (practicing) in the league. This place is better than Zinga Poker....LOL

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
ChromeStar
I used to play in the Open for the same reason as Trap, to practice without losing or investing any money.

However, as of late, I have been playing to earn prizes as I feel as long as its out there, why not??

Can you learn playing the Open? I think so. I have taken my MTT game to a different level since I started here and now feel comfortable in saying that in any type of Poker game, at Freeroll or Micro level, I can be in the hunt.

When my game is on, I can consistently finish top 200 in Open Games, I placed top 72 and top 64 three times over the last 24 hours in Astronomers, top 300 in WR2, top 12 in .02 990 man SNG, and cashed a few times in 100K Depositers without add ons or rebuys.

The Open has helped to teach me patience, position, hand selection, and most of all, PreFlop play, which I used to think was just shove Category one hands all in no matter what.

The Premier will be a good test of what I have learned and real world application of such. I think I can hang with the big boys on a per tourney basis, even though my limited availability won't let me be a contender overall.

Cheers

Skiny

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
I asked myself this question, and couldn't find an answer. I decided that I wasn't getting a very good return on my time, and haven't played a league game since.

I am unwilling to invest enough time to compete for a top prize, and $20 is no longer enough incentive. I will continue to use the Open league to try out new strategies, but for now will concentrate on other areas.

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2011
For me I fall into the 5 percent.....its all about learning the game. Twenty minutes to learn the rules and a lifetime to master ....like all the games I enjoy. The resources offered here are with in my budget and are definitely helping my game .... especially the mental aspect now that I'm back in the open league lol.....and it sure helps my mtt micro play. I prefer to play for the love of the game and wish to bring my best to all I do so these resources and insights are a valuable tool. Thanks to all the training staff for their excellent job ......

cheers all good luck @ the felt
r0ck

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 01:31 PM
(#6)
cool thanks for all the replies so far.

I made a serious attempt to break top 500 this month as i figured i could get some volume in. School didn't start back till the 8th. i have played 28 games and i'm in 488th. not sure if i can hold out as i have busy couple weeks ahead.

The reasons i play are varied.
a) I'd like to get to prem and be payed to practice some MTT.
b) it fills a gap and ensures i don't just play 4 Sng's at once.
c) its a challange can i get into top 500

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2011
ChromeStar
Hey Rock,

Was great to see you sit out, then catch QQ all in , on the bubble last night to secure your top 72 ticket in the Limit HoldEm game..........classic !!!

Fun stuff to watch as I was three ahead of you, and in the blinds, all in next.

Cheers

Skiny

Old
Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:36 AM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
hey y all
I play in the prem league cause the price is right and it s challenging enough to keep my interest
it doesn t hurt that i seem to cash monthly even with the little game i got but we re working on that.
by the way i only play about 30 games a month so it can be done.

gl y all

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 08:26 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck.carver View Post
For me I fall into the 5 percent.....its all about learning the game. Twenty minutes to learn the rules and a lifetime to master ....like all the games I enjoy. The resources offered here are with in my budget and are definitely helping my game .... especially the mental aspect now that I'm back in the open league lol.....and it sure helps my mtt micro play. I prefer to play for the love of the game and wish to bring my best to all I do so these resources and insights are a valuable tool. Thanks to all the training staff for their excellent job ......

cheers all good luck @ the felt
r0ck
i met a few players in old league and have since had some healthy competion and yes i am here to learn ,but i like taking rock out
oooops that slipped out lol

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:37 PM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2010
I play for several reasons, but the most compelling...

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blo...3&preview=true

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:48 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
So that I can get some ironing done. I only like to do it every other month

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
(#12)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar

see you soon DM
gl y all

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com