Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Please highlight mistakes

Old
Please highlight mistakes - Mon Jan 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011

Reads... Player is tight and when he has premium I saw him reraising hard and betting hard but made him on KK as since I had the Ace it is a bt more difficult to have AA and he is not the type to barrel so much with AK..

I believe these are my mistakes in this hand after replaying it again.
1) Out of position with AQ suited against his range I an a bit crushed unless I hit hard.
2) He is betting pot so I should have folded on the turn but I did not cause I was pot committed and I only had 1/2 stack.

Regard
Etienne

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Etipac,

I'm not a great cash game player, so please take these thoughts with a pinch of salt.

I don't mind the preflop call, I',m presumeing you have a plan, ie f i hit flop bet / check call, if i miss call small c bet or else throw away hand.

On flop we have flush draw, i like the check and we have to call 1.34 to win 2.75 so we have the odds to call.

on turn we missed the flop and so again like the check now we have to call 2.30 to win 6.39, so we could argue that we are not getting the odds we need to call, i think its margianal as to weather or not we think an A or a queen will help us.

Also we need to conceder are we commited after our flop call,

I think in your spot i would make the call, but i do see where its not a great mathmatical call.

By the way what did he have?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 01:09 PM
(#3)
He had what I thought he could only have.. or the bigger % of the time. KK

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by etipac View Post

Reads... Player is tight and when he has premium I saw him reraising hard and betting hard but made him on KK as since I had the Ace it is a bt more difficult to have AA and he is not the type to barrel so much with AK..

I believe these are my mistakes in this hand after replaying it again.
1) Out of position with AQ suited against his range I an a bit crushed unless I hit hard.
2) He is betting pot so I should have folded on the turn but I did not cause I was pot committed and I only had 1/2 stack.

Regard
Etienne
Hi again Etienne.

For clarification I have to ask you to define "tight". If he is so tight you put him on AA/KK, and have down graded AA due to the blocker you hold, then why call a raise with AQ at all?

You see Etienne, you are about a 53% equity favorite when you play against a 10% 3bet range, but are about a 42% dog to a 5% 3bet range. In the actual play of a hand, there may not appear to be much difference between a 5% and 10% range (if you are not using a HUD) but that difference does radically effect your thinking with a hand like AQs.

The big question you need to be asking yourself at that point is: "What do I do if I see a Q as top pair"?

Is that likely "good enough" versus your perception of this guy's range, because it should be to make a pre flop call worthwhile. By flatting the pre flop raise, you have set up a beneficial SPR for you to stack off on any top/top type hand on most board textures, so the time to think about a Q spike being good or not is before you get invested in the pot.

As for the flop, I do not agree you should fold very often there, as you do have the nut flush draw. Yes, his pot size bet is going to be ugly for you, but I think I would have favored a C/R all in because of the pot size. I say a C/R all in because you really do not MIND a "free card", but if the villain bets at all, the pot odds are there for a jam over that bet.

On this flop you have about 45% equity with your holding vs a range of QQ+/AKo/AKs, and you still have about 43.3% if you add in a set of Js to the range. Even taking out the AK (but leaving in a set of Js) hands still leaves you with about 40% equity. Risking $3.64 for a chance to win $8.69 (~2.4 to 1, assuming villain calls your shove) with 40% equity sounds like a good spot to me...

A call is sticking you HARD to the pot anyway, so with the pot odds laying plenty in a bloated pot, you kind of HAVE to get 'em in to ensure you see both the turn and river cards in my opinion. Calling, and missing the turn is only going to see your odds fall through the floor, but with your investment even LARGER. You also have the added benefit of possibly folding out hands like 88/99 that are AHEAD of you if you do not catch by shoving.

So bottom line in my opinion is simple:

- Depending on how "tight" tight is, an oop call with AQs can be quite iffy.
- When you see the big draw in a bloated pot, the fact you may have made a "mistake" in calling pre flop is moot; following up a possible pre flop "mistake" by playing that PASSIVELY may cost you any chance to win.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Mon Jan 23, 2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
(#5)
So first of all I thank you all for the god job you do so my tight thinking was on how I saw him playing sometime before but not more than that. So I called because I thought the Q more than the A would be good most of that time as he might have Ak if no pair. With JJ it would be enough too. AA, KK or QQ I might be in trouble but since suited I chose to see a flop. ON the flop I only though that the flush draw were good and clear but when he started betting hard I had to think again about my preflop so I thought that his betting hard indicated a big pair most likely KK.

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by etipac View Post
So first of all I thank you all for the god job you do so my tight thinking was on how I saw him playing sometime before but not more than that. So I called because I thought the Q more than the A would be good most of that time as he might have Ak if no pair. With JJ it would be enough too. AA, KK or QQ I might be in trouble but since suited I chose to see a flop. ON the flop I only though that the flush draw were good and clear but when he started betting hard I had to think again about my preflop so I thought that his betting hard indicated a big pair most likely KK.
Hi again!

That is not bad ranging actually Etienne, but still, you gotta get 'em in on the flop with the size pot there was pre flop. Afterall, if the guy is tight, will he really pay you off on an A river a lot with KK?

He will if you've shoved the flop on your draw with good pot odds to do so...

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
(#7)
Cause my problem is that the way I played it by calling the reraise and playing it out of position seems a bit too loose for my taste...

I am really after that as an answer, maybe even if played a bit too loose with my ranging quite well my opponent it can be played like that. Don;t know...

And apart from that opponent started the usual swearing and bla bla bla :-)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com