Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Should i be stacking my opponent here

Old
Should i be stacking my opponent here - Mon Jan 23, 2012, 06:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

Had absolutely no reads as it was the first hand i played at the table, raised the opponents open 4x which normally i wouldn't do i would make it 3x, I made it 4x because being the first hand and on a blind vs blind situation maybe the opponent would feel i am just being overly aggressive in defending my first blind and there's a chance I could get him to make a play on me, was just a feeling but weird things happen in spots like these so I thought maybe its worth an attempt. On the flop it is quite a coordinated board (minus a flush) and for me hits a lot of his open and call a raise range so i bet for value, perhaps i should have bet more and opponent calls. I decided to check the turn as i think it could quite easily have helped my opponents range and i didn't want the pot to be to bloated in-case he was calling on a draw or slow playing a queen. On the river after the opponent checks again i was confident my hand was ahead and so made a 1/2 pot value bet as i could not see a hand that would call a bigger bet that would have checked all 3 streets apart from a king that had a weak kicker on the flop or pocket pairs (may have folded to c-bet) or slow played quad queens( which would surely raise on the river and i would then probably lay my hand down as i didn't know if the villain was capable of raising with a worse full house). Was this a good line to take or did i play the hand too cautiously post flop bearing in mind i had no reads on the opponents style? Was my river value bet to small due to the theorem stating no one folds a full house, especially because a king is not folding in this spot?

Last edited by darkmajik365; Mon Jan 23, 2012 at 07:14 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 06:37 PM
(#2)
Opponent held pocket 8's dont know why the replayer does not show it.

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi darkmajik,

In this hand after he calls the preflop 3b, it leaves a stack to pot ratio of under 4. I think my plan is to commit on this flop with such a low spr, so I would probably size my flop bet a bit bigger, and also follow through on the turn with another bet. If he has a Q or KK then he sucked out, but he's going to have AK a lot in this spot and there's more combos of AK than KK or AQ, so I think I'm still committing as the villain isn't folding AK. Checking back the turn to induce river bluffs can work in the right spot, but here his range is largely AK+ and hands he won't bluff with, so I think it's better to bet and go for stacks vs. AK.

Also you made the comment on the turn "i didn't want the pot to be to bloated in-case he was calling on a draw or slow playing a queen." The thing is the pot is already bloated preflop, it's a low spr situation. Not sure what kind of draws he has that he played this way prelfop, maybe AJ? He's not putting more chips in with AJ unless he gets there, so you might as well bet the turn and deny him a chance to realize his equity.

I think you may have gotten a little lost here by not having a commitment plan... once he calls your preflop 3b it's important to make a plan for your hand, so you're clear going into the post flop streets what you should be doing and it's easier to adjust then to try and maximize value without getting lost by a scary looking turn card (that actually isn't much concern, only helps AQ but doesn't change anything against KK, AK, or many of his other holdings).

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 23, 2012, 11:38 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi darkmajik,

In this hand after he calls the preflop 3b, it leaves a stack to pot ratio of under 4. I think my plan is to commit on this flop with such a low spr, so I would probably size my flop bet a bit bigger, and also follow through on the turn with another bet. If he has a Q or KK then he sucked out, but he's going to have AK a lot in this spot and there's more combos of AK than KK or AQ, so I think I'm still committing as the villain isn't folding AK. Checking back the turn to induce river bluffs can work in the right spot, but here his range is largely AK+ and hands he won't bluff with, so I think it's better to bet and go for stacks vs. AK.

Also you made the comment on the turn "i didn't want the pot to be to bloated in-case he was calling on a draw or slow playing a queen." The thing is the pot is already bloated preflop, it's a low spr situation. Not sure what kind of draws he has that he played this way prelfop, maybe AJ? He's not putting more chips in with AJ unless he gets there, so you might as well bet the turn and deny him a chance to realize his equity.

I think you may have gotten a little lost here by not having a commitment plan... once he calls your preflop 3b it's important to make a plan for your hand, so you're clear going into the post flop streets what you should be doing and it's easier to adjust then to try and maximize value without getting lost by a scary looking turn card (that actually isn't much concern, only helps AQ but doesn't change anything against KK, AK, or many of his other holdings).

Dave
Thanks dave, definitely think my cautious play had something to do with the 3 sixes from the last hand i posted so disappointed in myself for allowing it to effect me on this hand, just have to learn from it for next time.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com