Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Need Advice on how to play $0.5 90-man sng turbo profitably

Old
Need Advice on how to play $0.5 90-man sng turbo profitably - Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Overall, I think I am just about break even on this game, or maybe just a little bit on the -ROI. Still not sure how to approach the game. Should I play tight? I've been reviewing some of my games and I mostly lost on my shove with my less than 12BB stack. My cards are usually ahead during an all-in shove preflop.

Old
Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
HI ggervacio!

When playing this type of tourney, I try to be tight in the beginning of the tourney, then open up later in it (when my stack get to be lower with regard to the blinds). One thing that I do is to make sure that I'm always looking to accumulate chips for the lowest risk. Even at the bubble, if I've got hands, then I'm playing them. The only way that I'd look for a min cash is if I take a beat and have basically no chips left right at the bubble... other than that, I'm always looking for a top 3, as that's where the majority of the money is and consistantly getting a number of top 3's is how to make them profitable.
When I get down toward the bubble, I'm also not necessarily looking at my stack compared to the BB for when to shove.... I'm looking at how my stack compares to my opp's stacks. If they're going to get ko'd before me, then I'll wait a bit before I shove (unless I get a premium hand).

A great place to start is with the S&G course here on PSO. The style here does translate to this type of tourney very well.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
At that buyin level I make one big change to my standard tight aggressive game. I don't bluff. This includes C-bets on missed flops.

There are a lot of loose players that will call big bets chasing draws or or holding middle pair. So, I never make bluff bets hoping they will fold. Similarly, I tighten up my stealing range because I'm getting called more often. On the flip side, I increase the size of my value bets for the same reasons. So, don't slowplay, if you think you are ahead, keep pulling the trigger.

PS: Near the bubble this may not be true as there might be several tight passive players hoping to crawl itm. If so raise atc, but be prepared to fold if you get reraised

GL

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
90-mans are ahar010's main game, so I'll direct him here to comment. Also I would recommend checking out his live training sessions that cover these as well. You can click on the live training tab, then the calendar link, to view upcoming sessions, and you can view his archived sessions HERE . Live training sessions are free, they're a great way to learn and they give you the ability to ask questions of the coach in real time... check them out.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
(#5)
Hi,

Yes, tight is the way to go

Getting it in ahead is a good thing. If you are ALWAYS ahead you could be playing a little too tight. There could be some more marginal spots you're missing out on.

Getting it in ahead and losing is just a part of poker, and a part you will encounter most often playing the turbos. It's not a bad thing, just something to be prepared for.

Because of a little bit more gambling in turbos than regular speed, variance or luck is a bigger factor in the games outcome. Therefore your ROI will be dramatically lower in the 50c turbos than the 25c reg-speed. You also need to play a larger sample size to get a idea of what your true ROI is.

In terms of strategy, You can check out any fo my live trainings of videos in the archive
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...videos-ahar010
Sessions 20 & 21 focus on 50c turbos

Thanks
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
Personally, I turned profitable as soon as I switched from the 90s to the 45s.
Less profit for top finishes, sure, but a lot more top finishes.
My sharkscope graph speaks very clearly... maybe try, could be the right size for you too, who knows.

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:54 PM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
Appreciate all the advice guys.

@Don: also thinking of moving to 45s, but since 10c-360 also have about the same top prize, i may just go for the 360 'cause right now I profit in those games and avoid experimenting with the 45s, but we'll see.

Ok, I will not give up on the 90s turbos just yet. I will give it a few more tries and integrate some of your tips here. Turbo here is the keyword as I am looking for a faster game. In a standard speed 90s, I think I am a bit profitable, but with the office and everything, I really need to find a faster game.

I'll probably sign up for a another 90s cowboy challenge for February. I'll keep you guys posted for any development.

Thanks.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com