Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

A,Q in position vs Unknown opp

Old
A,Q in position vs Unknown opp - Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi! I don't have any reads on the opp.

Given the way hand has played upto the turn, call or fold on the river?

Cheers.

Old
Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Dedeyez!

No way I am folding this river as this played out Dedeyez...

That leaves flatting or moving all in on your 2 pair.

Pre flop the villain limp/called.
While this could be 88/66, I am really not thinking it is AK very often.

The 2 weak leads, followed by the flat of the turn raise really smells fishy to me...and not fishy "strong".
Your turn raise screams of a value raise, so if he were on a set why does he not 3bet you at least something?

Since you lack info, I can really understand a reluctance to put the rest of your chips in, but you simply have got to flat the river bet at least. Me, I think I am jamming all day long as I fully expect this guy to wake up with KQs or some other 2 spade hand that made 2 pair here on this bet pattern WAY more often than I see AK or a set.

If I'm wrong and I stack off to a set, so be it. My AQ 2 pair hand, and the size the pot grew to will let me live with that.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Since you lack info, I can really understand a reluctance to put the rest of your chips in, but you simply have got to flat the river bet at least. Me, I think I am jamming all day long as I fully expect this guy to wake up with KQs or some other 2 spade hand that made 2 pair here on this bet pattern WAY more often than I see AK or a set.

If I'm wrong and I stack off to a set, so be it. My AQ 2 pair hand, and the size the pot grew to will let me live with that.

Hope it helps.

-JDean
Hi! Dave, thanks for the hand analysis. I wasn't reluctant to put my chips in as I shoved on the river cos the way hand has played I think more often than not A,Q is going to be good in this spot. I felt if the opp has played A,K this way (highly unlikely) than more power to him and I have to pay it off. As you said if he had set of 6's or 8's I think we hear from the opp on the turn when we slightly over bet the pot so we can eliminate 6's or 8's.

Although in this particular hand it turned out that A,Q was not good as the opp was holding J,10o and rivered broadway on us. So the right play would have been to flat on the river. But I guess you can't be results oriented.

In hindsight being tricky by just flat calling on the flop cost us the pot. Do you think raise on the flop and a nice hefty bet on the turn would have been a better line as it would certainly price out any draws on the turn?

Cheers.

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Tough one Dedeyez, at least you made the right play!

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com