Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Needing help with controlling my bankroll

Old
Needing help with controlling my bankroll - Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Ok I am having so much trouble controlling myself.
I enjoy playing the hyper-turbo heads up I just cant escape them, everytime I hop on ps I go straight there start off with the $3.50 win a few of those then end up at the $7.00 heads-up.
Next minute I have around $30-$40 and head straight to the $30 heads-up tables because I want to win quick money. But of course that never happens but I just cant control myself. Then I lose get angry with myself go on tilt and then the next day im depositing and doing it all over again!!

Badly in need of some advice...

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Restricting cash game table limits and tournament limits:
Setting table limits and tournament limits provide individual players with an opportunity to control their spending by limiting themselves from playing certain table limit stakes, as well as tournament buy in limits. Go to the lobby, choose ‘Requests’ from the top menu, then select ‘Responsible Gaming’ and ‘Restrict Table Limit’ or ‘Restrict Tournament limit’.
And the following is a smw proper bankroll Minimums for your games, as Jennifear's suggests,
$210 - $5.25 HU
$270 - $6.25 HU
$820 - $21 HU
$2100 - $52.50 HU
$4250 - $105 HU
$8500 - $210 HU

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Norman!

Welcome to the forum.

With regard to bankroll, here are the limits that I try to adhere to.

maximum of 1/100th for a buy-in to a multi table tourney
1/10th for a buy-in for a cash ring game
1/75th-1/100th for a sit & go (with 1/100th being for the larger ones).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 05:47 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 03:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
Howdy Norman --

The money seems to be there. You just need to learn how to hang on to it.

1. For a while limit yourself to the $3.50 HU's, and ramp up to an occasional $7.00 when you're running well. All you're lacking is a fundamental grasp of bankroll management. A few weeks under control and you'll probably have a sack of easy money. But take time to learn why playing within your bankroll is crucial to success.

2. On Sundays there is a trainer named HoRRoR77 (real name Andre) who does Live Training sessions on HU SNG play. He'd be someone you can learn from. You can ask him all about what levels to play and how to manage your bankroll. There's a session this Sunday at 14:00 ET. You'll find the schedule and registration for Live Training on the PSO homepage. It's free, so no reason to miss it.

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 04:07 AM
(#5)
Want fast money, lack of patience?

I suggest that you put up a goal, or challenge yourself,

ex:
play 20x sngs for 3,50 buyin (with bankroll managment, min 50 buyin Bankroll), play these few sessions.

You can compete with yourself or you can even do it here with others on PSO,
Challenges & Battleground

Try it out, it will keep you playing on same limit for a while and in mean time you will have fun.

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:05 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
I enjoy playing the hyper-turbo heads up
Well you do seem to favour the type of game where the skill-luck ratio is the worst.
I'm not saying there's no skill to those, obviously, there's a skill to everything. but...

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:59 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
The skill edge between a solid reg, and a reg in those games is so small that they all rely on trying to break even and make the $ on bonuses..Vpp's, reloads etc

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:26 AM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Poker is not a good game to make quick money. You make money over the long term. Doing so also requires a lot of patience.

Poker doctor says -
Quote:
Learn to control yourself and your bankroll will follow.

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:06 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman 187 View Post
Ok I am having so much trouble controlling myself.
I enjoy playing the hyper-turbo
I can relate!

(That's all I got Poker's very addictive, eh? )

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
(#10)
oh so addictive

I stoped playing those heads-up and challenged myself to do a stt challenge

15 tourneys a day at $3.50.

It has helped me alot I am to concentrated on beating my challenge that I dont bother with anything ele.

My first day I made a profit of $12.79

Just want to see how I go after 1 week....

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaBBiiTGiiRL View Post
Want fast money, lack of patience?

I suggest that you put up a goal, or challenge yourself,

ex:
play 20x sngs for 3,50 buyin (with bankroll managment, min 50 buyin Bankroll), play these few sessions.

You can compete with yourself or you can even do it here with others on PSO,
Challenges & Battleground

Try it out, it will keep you playing on same limit for a while and in mean time you will have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman 187 View Post
oh so addictive

I stoped playing those heads-up and challenged myself to do a stt challenge

15 tourneys a day at $3.50.

It has helped me alot I am to concentrated on beating my challenge that I dont bother with anything ele.

My first day I made a profit of $12.79

Just want to see how I go after 1 week....

Told you so

Been there, thats why my suggestion of the challenge

Good luck

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 01:50 AM
(#12)
Since: Feb 2012
BronzeStar
I read this because I was about to post the same sort of question. I've sucessfully managed to set table limits of anything over a nickel NL, and completely shut off limit tables for the time being.

My situation is I usually put about 30% of my Br into tournaments. 30 br, 10 in tournaments...20 for tables....sit with 2.00, thats only about ten buy-ins. Im comfortable with that for my cash tables, because the low risk value. i have no issue with redepositing 50 bucks here and there if things hit the fan, but, Im wondering about the tourny buy-ins. The issue I have is that I enjoy tournys, and sng's, but I dont wanna be playing 5 hrs and win 3 dollars because of a .55 buy-in (plus no one cares about poker at those stakes)...I end up playing the 1, and 3 dollar tournys, but again, there are a lot of ppl in them that are only burning off steam...I usually wait til the late reg ends and play from a short position because ppl are deep by then, and dont really wanna waste their time...however, Im playing short so I bust out frequently....

WHAT CAN I DO??

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com