Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Quads

Old
Quads - Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
PokerStars Hand #74454367391: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02 USD) - 2012/01/25 15:23:14 UTC [2012/01/25 10:23:14 ET]Table 'Hadar IV' 6-max Seat

#5 is the buttonSeat 1: anmahe777 ($1.52 in chips)
Seat 2: apa4i_by ($0.15 in chips)
Seat 3: Karamikaze ($1.88 in chips)
Seat 4: pohpoh375 ($2.91 in chips)
Seat 5: holdemace486 ($1.32 in chips)
sexyforbes will be allowed to play after the button
anmahe777: posts small blind $0.01
apa4i_by: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to holdemace486 [8c Jc]
Karamikaze: folds pohpoh375: folds
holdemace486: raises $0.04 to $0.06
anmahe777: calls $0.05
apa4i_by: calls $0.04
*** FLOP *** [Jh Jd Ac]
anmahe777: checks
apa4i_by: checks
holdemace486: bets $0.06
anmahe777: calls $0.06
apa4i_by: folds
*** TURN *** [Jh Jd Ac] [Js]
anmahe777: checks
holdemace486: checks
*** RIVER *** [Jh Jd Ac Js] [4c]
anmahe777: bets $0.10
holdemace486: raises $1.10 to $1.20 and is all-in
anmahe777: calls $1.10
*** SHOW DOWN ***
holdemace486: shows [8c Jc] (four of a kind, Jacks)
anmahe777: mucks hand
holdemace486 collected $2.57 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $2.70 | Rake $0.13 Board [Jh Jd Ac Js 4c]Seat 1: anmahe777 (small blind) mucked [5s Ah]Seat 2: apa4i_by (big blind) folded on the FlopSeat 3: Karamikaze folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: pohpoh375 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: holdemace486 (button) showed [8c Jc] and won ($2.57) with four of a kind, Jacks

i had been playing for about 1 hour at this table
decided to raise about 90 percent vpip of my hands
the opp decided to mix it with me
was this the thing to do because the result was great

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:41 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi holdemace,

Not sure if you have a question or are just making a statement. But since you posted it here....

Preflop I like fine, totally standard to open the button with J8s in a 4 handed game

Flop I like c-betting, you're expected to c-bet anyway so you might as well c-bet your monsters too. Personally I would c-bet more along the lines of half the pot up to 2/3rds the pot, I think 1/3rd is too small since we would be expected to follow through with more anyway... might as well grow the pot some if either have an ace.

Turn, I would bet again here. We want to grow the pot and checking fails to do that. We're not likely to induce action from anything on the river anyway except an ace, but an ace is never folding the turn or river so let's keep growing the pot vs. Ax so we can win a big one.

River, I like the shove. Again, the opponent either has an ace or is bluffing. If they have the ace, they are calling (zeebo's theorem in action), so raising anything less than all in on your stack size would be leaving money on the table.

All in all I like your play here, with the only exception being the turn. When we have a big hand and there's lot's of money behind, try to take actions that grow the pot, not actions that keep it small.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:03 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
cheers dave thanks i will remember to bet the turn next time thankyou

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 06:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hi holdemace,

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
i had been playing for about 1 hour at this table
decided to raise about 90 percent vpip of my hands
the opp decided to mix it with me
was this the thing to do because the result was great
Because of this, I think you should play this hand more aggressively. You finally have a huge hand, your range is super wide, and they are likely to pay off with much weaker hands.

I like a relatively small c-bet on a dry ace-high board. Somewhere around half the pot. If they're going to call a small bet they'll call a big one, so why bet small? To balance your range.** By betting small with your entire range here you can have AA/Jx, Ax, some pocket pair, or total air. They can float you with a lot of pocket pairs as well as gutshot broadway draws which may even be the best hand, so add KQ, KT, QT to his range.

On the turn that J makes it soooo hard for you to have a jack. You should be able to comfortably bet here and get called not only by Ax but by any pair that was floating your flop bet and maybe even the gutshots that think their K-high is good here. His calling range on the turn looks to be almost as wide as his flop calling range! Bet! Again, I would keep the bet around half pot. Make it look like you're taking another stab.

Love the river shove. That's a play I need to learn to make more often. He's never folding a full house, especially not an ace.

**Forgot to add, against bad players who aren't paying attention such balance may not be necessary. Feel free to build a huge pot with your huge hands.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by oriholic; Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 02:12 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com