Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Platinum star doesn't mean good player necessarily

Old
Platinum star doesn't mean good player necessarily - Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I Played one of my 360 man 10c tourneys tonight, as part of my Cowboys Challenge,

On my table was a player from Russia ( Mos Rolled ) who had Platinum Star status.

He played no different than the majority of the players in these tourneys, i.e. 10XBB with J5o, he exited the tourney at 258th place.

The stars just mean they play volume, and does not necessarily indicate a good player, so don't be intimidated if you are on a table with someone with multiple stars on their avatar.

These players are also very likely to be multi tabling, so will not be devoting their full attention to each table.

There are exceptions to this though ( Nanonoko springs to mind, he seems to be able to devote sufficient attention to all of his tables ).

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Bill,

I've seen plenty of upper level players that aren't that good, and seen a great number of them that are really, really good. I've had a supernova in some of the freeroll games that I've been playing for Cairn and Moxie's challenges. The person may spend a bunch of money and/or play a different game, but for a 27 or 45 man NLHE tourney, they really had no idea what they were doing.

Base reads on players by what you see them do at the table, not by how many stars they have. I've seen plenty of gold/platinum/nova players that I'd want at my tables every time I'd sit down at one...... or.... some bronze/silver players that I'd avoid at all costs if I can.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
Had a supernova turn up at my 6maxNLHE $0.01/$0.02 table yesterday - I really wanted to play against them, and watch them play, but the table sat out & broke up in a few hands, before they even got involved - think those stars scared the others off.

I always like to play against better players than me and test myself. I won't go above my BR management limits to do so, but if they come down to play in my level of games I am happy to have them there. I agree the number of stars is not necessarily a skill level indicator, but more a buy-in and volume indicator, but I still tend to expect that they are at least above average skill for the micro-level I play at.

As in all reads of opponents, the stars give you some info. If it is a bad player doing losing volume, that should become apparent through the plays you watch. Until you see that, give them credit for at least being experienced,

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 04:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curran View Post

The stars just mean they play volume, and does not necessarily indicate a good player, so don't be intimidated .

When I first started I felt this way and then one day realized the exact same thing.

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 05:36 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
OH BOY 1 OF MY FAV SUBJECTS...lol

Since I've started playing here(PSO+PS), I've made a few conclusions about players in general.

Like some of the players here in PSO, I'm here because I found some success in live poker, and figured it wouldn't be that much different, just on a larger scale, without having to come up with $1K to enter big events.To make it short and sweet, to build a bankroll to buy myself in to a live big event.

However, some players @Stars use it for "ENTERTAINMENT", out of boredom, because they have nothing to do.

Some,you could ask wtf they're doing here by their play, and they have a "status" like Bill was saying "Platinum star" and are here just as "status" and not much else, playing only to keep their status quo, most of the time, losing money hand over fist,which they get some back at the end of the season with a status bonus.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com