Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Good play or got lucky?

Old
Good play or got lucky? - Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Was this a good play or just plain luck?

In this particular hand being the preflop aggresor, I made a c-bet when it was checked around to me on the flop. The turn gives me the nuts (only beat by a set of aces, but very unlikely) and I bet again. The river didn’t complete any flush draws, but it could’ve given a higher boat to one opponent. At this point I was commited so I went all in, and if they had me so be it. Fortunatelly they both had busted flush draws or worse. I’m not sure if I made the correct bet sizing on each street.

tnx for the help!

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 05:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Super Rascal.

I'd like to weigh in if I may...

I think your play here was pretty good on all streets really.

PRE FLOP:
At a 4 handed table, I am certainly thinking 99 is going to be a hand good enough to raise. It will however see at least 1 over card much more than half the time, so you really do not want to over raise it in case the flop comes with threats. For this reason I really like your choice of a "standard" raise making it 3BB to go.

FLOP:
With the A on the flop, your 99 may not be the best hand any longer, but when both callers check to you, I see no reason why you should not bet again for value here.

Normally when I am betting for value in a 3way pot, I prefer to make it at least 2/3rds pot. But without surety that I have the best hand, betting around half pot (or a bit under as you do) serves to better control your investment level in the pot without checking and giving totally free cards to any possible draw out there. Plus, if you are ahead you are not failing to get more value in for yourself, so I like your bet as a compromise.

TURN:
When you hit your 2 out-er to improve, and you hold the 2nd nut hand, there really is no reason not to bet a standard amount for value now; now you are HOPING you face an Ace that will not fold!

Your bet of 320 (about 76% pot) amply denies odds to any draw you might be facing, and with 2 opponents flatting your flop bet it is one you should expect will get paid off at least some of the time. This amount also sets up an easy river commitment of the rest of your stack, so it builds the pot to the point that a single pair hand that calls the turn may well HAVE to pay you off maximum value.

Nice bet.

RIVER:
When you boat on the river, there really is no sense to NOT getting in the rest of your chips. The only hands that beat you are quad Aces or Aces up that made a better boat, and neither opponent exhibited the sort of line in their play that would suggest they had either of those holdings.

Your river bet is such a small portion of the total pot too that you can reasonably expect that opponents who allowed themselves to get that deep into their stacks on just an 8 or a 9 would probably have to pay you off when the A pairs the river and makes it less likely you hold one.

So all in all Super Rascal, this looks like a fine line to me, that got you about the maximum value you could expect against 2 extremely loose callers. If each of them did fold off ANY chance to win the hand with 2nd or 3rd pair after putting half their stacks+ in, there is really nothing you can do about that, and if they were both chasing draws that deeply then you charged them the sort of price you should have been charging them.

Good hand!

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 05:18 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hello Super Rascal,

My only question about this hand is your c-bet size. Are your c-bets usually 1/2 the pot? If so then everything looks good to me. If you bet different than your normal c-bet, why?

A slight;y larger c-bet (120 or 2/3 pot) enables a larger turn bet and makes your river shove smaller and slightly more likely to be called.

Good decisions!

Joe

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi all!

I like Joe's point here about the 2/3's pot bet on the flop because it accomplishes TWO things.

Not only does it set up a larger turn bet and smaller river bet that could be called easier.

It also makes BOTH players have a -EV draw to the turn for a flush. By betting 1/2 pot, it's -EV for the first player, but marginal for the second. If the BB has a flush draw, then it's a much better call for them if I would only bet 1/2 pot than 2/3 pot.
The more players that are in a pot, the more that a player has to be to make all the draws -EV, as the more that call a bet, the further down the line that you go, the better their chance of having a +EV play, as there are more chips in the pot.

2/3's of a pot will price out flush draws with 2 opps in the hand (a situation that I run into frequently) and is why I have one of my bet buttons on PS set at 2/3. I also have one set at 1/2, for dry boards without a possible flush or OESD for 2 opps, or for this scenario with 1 opp.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 07:12 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
thank u all for the feedback!
some great stuff to keep in mind for the next hands..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com