Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

was this bad?

Old
was this bad? - Fri Jan 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
This is a STT and I hadn't much of a read yet on this player so felt clling down was good because of his weak betting.

After the win it turns out he's another one of those "Poker Genius's" that knows everything and proceeds to berate me with insults of how bad I played.

His reasoning was because he was betting into me so therefore I should have folded.
My thought are that since the bets were low I still had +EV to call him on the river and even if I lost I would get to see his cards and would be able to better judge his actions in the future.

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 06:24 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
betting 150 into what 1200 is LOL but after that its all ok... and his betting into you is lol also

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
(#3)
agree with roomik

the betting was crazy

personally, don't bet if your just going to make a weak bet, if your going to bet 50% of the pot but because of your stack size it should probably all in

weak bet = weak hand

but you can't go all in with 66 so check is the better option

but with his 150 bet definitely it's a call you can't fold to a 150 bet if you yourself bet 150 on the flop

but overall it's a nice hand Sir.

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
I think you should fold preflop. 66 is generally going to flop badly, especially in a multiway pot. With your stack, you should probably be looking for spots to shove all-in first preflop, rather than play flops in huge pots with hands that are basically going to have you gambling for your entire stack. When you see the flop, there's really no way you can know before the money goes in whether or not your hand is good, so I'd just fold pre and find another hand to play.

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I think you should fold preflop. 66 is generally going to flop badly, especially in a multiway pot. With your stack, you should probably be looking for spots to shove all-in first preflop, rather than play flops in huge pots with hands that are basically going to have you gambling for your entire stack. When you see the flop, there's really no way you can know before the money goes in whether or not your hand is good, so I'd just fold pre and find another hand to play.
Nit

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
Nit
It's funny that you say that, because I could fold as far up as JJ here depending on my read on the minraiser. I think without reads I default fold 88 and jam 99, so 66 is an auto-fold for me.

But yeah, I'm a nit. <-- constipated emoticon

I'd probably suck if I went back to 6-max cash. I'd fold way too much.

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:10 PM
(#7)
thanks for the replies everyone

i left out about this being somewhat a freeroll and these players can be very tricky to play as the same player could be shoving with air one hand and slow playing AA the next so that's why I made my small bet on the flop to see who still had interest in the pot.

Unfortunately I bubbled this game because I was distracted with the trading of insults back and forth. He actually pissed me off enough to where I chased him around the site some after this game just so I could continue to take his chips and tell him off.

So the moral of this story would be that when he started with the comment of "6's?" I should have just shut the chat off so i didn't see it. I tilted and it cost me this game.

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 12:26 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi joker!

Interesting hand.

Preflop: with a limp and a min raise, there are plenty of chips in the pot to setmine with 66 so I like the call behind and would do the same thing.

The flop here is about as dry as it can get, 2 7 J rainbow. The limp/call and min raiser both check and I would definitely make a value bet here with a pocket pair. I'd definitely size it more than the bet preflop (300) and would opt for about 400. That way I'm not totally committed to the pot if either opp comes over the top.

The turn is a blank and the preflop raiser checks again. I'd still think 66 is probably ahead here and would make another value bet. Checking for pot control is definitely a viable option too, but this would give the opp plenty of options on the river.

The river is an overcard and the opp makes a token min bet? I'd at least call it, if not even raise here. I could understand a blocking type bet on the flop or turn, but a min bet like that, I'm calling even if I had Ax for air. It's too small of a bet to not to at least call it.
If I were the opp on the river with two checks on the turn, I'm definitely going to value bet the river at about 1/2 pot to represent Qx.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com