Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Is it ok to bully with a big stack, or is it best to protect protect protect?

Old
Is it ok to bully with a big stack, or is it best to protect protect protect? - Fri Jan 27, 2012, 05:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
A hand from a 9 man STT knockout.

reads - my two opponents could best be described as calling stations

So question is my play on the flop ok or am i putting too much at risk knowing i'm getting at least one call?

Thanks in advance guys

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 06:39 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Did you post the right hand? ....

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hello Grade b!

When I’m a bigstack, I generally like calling light in position (only when I’m getting sufficient implied odds to do so, against a shortstack I wouldn’t recommend it) with suited connectors which can flop huge, or set mine too. When I’m a shortstack (or when the blinds are big compared to my stack) I don’t have the privilege to play those speculative hands such as small pairs or take chances to play strong draws aggresively.

I adjust my aggresiveness according to the table image, stack sizes, reads, etc. When it’s a loose game, I choose my spots to get the money in with the best against aggressive players. On the other hand, when it’s a tight game I tend to turn my image into a maniac. If your reads on your opponents were that they both were calling stations my advice would be just to value bet them to death, never bluff at them. Also make sure you get the money in good… calling preflop with KQ against a passive shortstack’s 12 bb shove is not likely to be ahead imo.

Keep it up!

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feskprins View Post
Did you post the right hand? ....
Yes, this is the hand i meant to post.

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Yes, this is the hand i meant to post.
Just asking because there is no play on the flop, you're all-in already. ....

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 08:23 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feskprins View Post
Just asking because there is no play on the flop, you're all-in already. ....
I was trying no to show the flop but the reader hates me.

Its deliberate. I would like to here what everyone thinks without knowing if i win or lose.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
There's still no play to be made on the flop

If he is tightish and pushing with a lot of aces and pairs, I fold. If he's a fish likely to be shoving a lot of other holdings I call. Do you use a HUD? Any history?

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
dunno grade who did you say was the calling station?
looks to me like op shoved and you called.now it is three handed and given what you told us the only thing you know is they got 2 cards which means your in a race for 20%of your stack.not my way but i ve been wrong before.

gl y all

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 08:57 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi everyone!

While it is perfectly ok to be a bully with these stack sizes, I like shoving with KQ, but not calling a shove with it. Any pair or any A is ahead and suited cards, especially connectors have good equity against KQ off too.
If I had any ace or pair, I'm instantly calling here.

With allowing the opp to be within one double-up of taking the chip lead from me. I'd pass on calling here and preserve my chip position. I would however gladly play the table bully role when I'm in position and can be the first to shove, as I would want the pressure on the opponents, not on myslelf.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
If the BU is shoving really wide, then this could be a call or a reshove (same thing). The BU really shouldn't be shoving too wide here though because there's still a pay jump, and the BB could go out this hand. Also, passive players tend not to shove particularly wide, so KQo is unlikely to be a good enough hand to get it in here.

Since you're still on a small money bubble, you do need to play somewhat tighter than normal. Calling off your stack isn't quite the same as bullying, because bullying implies that you're leveraging a lot of fold equity because the other two don't want to bust. Here, I think you should fold, because it's probably not a good call given the circumstances. You can find better spots down the road. Again though, if the BU is super-wide here, getting it in could be fine.

Also, bullying the table can be a bad idea when the table is full of calling stations. There are spots where you can shove ATC on the bubble with a big stack, but you usually have to give up bullying entirely when you don't actually have much fold equity.

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
(#11)
Ty everyone,

I shall try to bare this in mind for my next one.

Grade b

dont call off with KQo dont call off with KQo.. repeat as needed.

Just incase any one was in any dought i lost this hand. But did smarten up and tighten up in time to win the match.

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
But did smarten up and tighten up in time to win the match.
That's the key! Great job grade b

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
(#13)
ty for your thoughts everyone.

es i use a hud and this guy was at 53 / 5 roughtly (i'm out and using my lapop will edit when i get home)

The hand was one of 4 tables i tred to play on Thursday but i was meant to be getting upto date with paper work and really not concentrating on my game!!!! (thats why only 4 games)

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com