Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Did i win the max?

Old
Did i win the max? - Fri Jan 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
A hand from a STT knockout

villian was a calling station

should i be checking as if he had a hand he almost certainly would have bet? Bet lighter?

Ta

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 06:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
I would bet about the same to protect against draws, any Q has OESD now and flush draw wants a cheap river.

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
villian was a calling station... if he had a hand he almost certainly would have bet?
Calling stations are known for passivity, and passive players don't do a lot of betting when checked to. So no, don't try and induce any bets here, since it will usually not work if your read is correct.

I do think you should bet a bit lighter on the turn, though. You should set yourself up to be all-in on the river, so you could easily have bet under t1000 on the turn and probably have gotten a call because a three-digit bet might look less threatening. Then you'd just jam the river if he called.

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
i think the only way you would get more in the pot would be to shut down and hope he hits the river.
he has no Q and i doubt he has a 9, 7 8 maybe trying for a gut shot? A x he d would have stayed for that straight . he s got nothing therefore the till closed.

gl y all

Old
Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:59 PM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Hi all,

I'm definitely going to be betting, as calling stations will give us action with so many worse hands on a wet board. Checking to induce is not a profitable line vs. a station, because they don't do much betting or bluffing without big hands, but they call way too light.

I'm actually taking a bit different line here. We're on the bubble with a 25 bb stack, open shoving KK this deep I don't care for as I do want some action with this strong a hand, so I like the open raise preflop. With a station in the BB I would generally structure it higher than 2.5x though, 3x words better imo and even 3.5 is fine.

On this flop vs a station I would bet more to set up stacks on the turn. If we pot it, we'll have 1715 behind and his call puts 1620 in the pot, then we can just shove the turn before a really scary river card comes that either beats us or may scare the guy off (even a station). He'll call us with so many worse hands, and when he folds the turn it's fine too as we take down a nice pot with no risk of being outdrawn, so this is the line I prefer in this particular spot.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
that's why i like reading here

im also learning different kind of approach

Great job Sir Dave

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
(#7)
ty everyone,

I have my sliders set up and tend to make standard bets but have started looking at table dynamic and how i should adjest. I'm getting there (when i concentrate)

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com