Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Heads up help?

Old
Heads up help? - Sat Jan 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi all i need some help with my heads up play,below is a typcal hand i would push on when short tacked HU.

*********** # 1 **************PokerStars Hand #74630197680: Tournament #507771085, $0.23+$0.02 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (800/1600) - 2012/01/28 18:02:44 UTC [2012/01/28 13:02:44 ET]Table '507771085 2' 9-max
Seat #8 is the buttonSeat 2: Koxtinha (58441 in chips)
Seat 8: holdemace486 (9059 in chips)
Koxtinha: posts the ante 75
holdemace486: posts the ante 75
holdemace486: posts small blind 800
Koxtinha: posts big blind 1600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to holdemace486 [Kc 7c]
dertymcgerty [observer] said, "regardless, you did awesome
"holdemace486 said, "shove time"
dertymcgerty [observer] said, "gl"
holdemace486 said, "thx
"holdemace486: raises 7384 to 8984 and is all-in
Koxtinha: calls 7384
*** FLOP *** [8d 7s 7d]
*** TURN *** [8d 7s 7d] [2d]
*** RIVER *** [8d 7s 7d 2d] [9d]*
** SHOW DOWN **
*Koxtinha: shows [Ts Jc] (a straight, Seven to Jack)
holdemace486: shows [Kc 7c] (three of a kind, Sevens)
Koxtinha collected 18118 from pot
holdemace486 finished the tournament in 2nd place and received $2.22
.Koxtinha wins the tournament and receives $3.23 -
congratulations!dertymcgerty [observer] said, "vn

"*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 18118 | Rake 0 Board [8d 7s 7d 2d 9d]Seat 2: Koxtinha (big blind) showed [Ts Jc] and won (18118) with a straight, Seven to JackSeat 8: holdemace486 (button) (small blind) showed [Kc 7c] and lost with three of a kind, Sevens

lol it says we were in the same seat,
anyway what hands should i consider shoving heads up play?

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
lol it says we were in the same seat,
anyway what hands should i consider shoving heads up play?
No, Holdem, it says your in seat #8 and your opponent is in seat #2. anyways that's just a minor detail.

It's great to see you take on the challenge of heads-up play.

Just out of coincidence one of the trainers, HoRRoR77 is doing a Live Training session tomorrow on heads up sit n gos. You'll find it HERE

It might be of some interest to you. It would be great to see you at some of the live training.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi holdemace,

Heads Up Poker(HU) is imo the purest form of poker. More thinking involved in HU poker as opposed to 180, 90, 27man SNG or even MTTS

The hands you decide to shove pre-flop could be a wide range and entirely dependent on the read you have on the opponent, rarely will your opponent ever have you dominated 70%+ pre flop.

As an example you can base your jamming range in the later stages of the HU match to how often the opponent folds to a 3-bet pre flop when the blind structure is still early/affordable. Even if you jammed 3bet 75o pre to pick off their 3x raise in the late stage of the HU match and get called by AKs you still have about a 35% chance to win the hand(i am not saying start jamming any two cards from now on, but simply saying non paired hands pre flop AKs vs 75o is still relatively close looking at it from percentage standpoint).

Heads up styles.
Having a wide range(LAG) there is going to be an element of more thinking or rather harder decisions to be made post flop because you have a marginal hand but with gold striking potential 35s, 87s, J9o etc.. And this style of play is very difficult to cope with.

Having a tight range(TAG) it'll make your decisions easier post flop because you have a decent holding QT+. But this is a really predictable style and easy to pick up on especially if you are up against an experienced opponent..

Waiting for a premium hand HU just simply won't cut it especially if there is fast paced blind structure and you are up against a LAG playing 27% to 40%+ of the hands they are dealt and opening the button 3x relentlessly and splashing a continuation bet 80% of the time. What range would you put them on?

I started a home games Heads Up Poker League a few months back, but with holiday fever in December and January New Year adjustments.. busy members of the club not being able to play it just kind of went "gone with the wind" so to speak...
I will re open the Heads Up Poker League February 3rd.
Everyone is welcome to join!
Club ID number: 561987
Invitation Code: saywatagain

Here is a roster of Heads Up Poker League players. Solid and tough.
AusBas
Bill Curran
CannonLee
chuckkky
Django66
EdinFreeMan
FLsnookman
hamburglarid
havocsofmeg
JDean
Johnny Oak
JWK24
m.bisland
oriholic
Phoenix Maya
royalraise85
TheLangolier
TOO2COO
topthecat
tripleturtle
TrumpinJoe

Good luck at the tables

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
(#4)
cheers mods some really brill stuff to think about there,will look at those live training sessions and also look at your heads up league will be very interesting and some new thoughts for me.

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Holdemace!

A standard raise here for me would be to 2.5BB, or 4000. Since this is about 1/2 the stack that I have left, I'm shoving here with a suited K.

I like raising to 3BB heads up, but since it's 1/2 my stack, would have no problems shoving here too. I would shove any pair, any A, any K (especially suited), or any suited connector.

To learn more about heads up play, please use this link to the videos from Andre (HoRRoR77). Andre's sessions are a big help, as I know that they have helped my HU play.

Unfortunately, the opp got lucky here, but in my eyes, the correct play was made, which is all the a player can do as a poker player.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hey Holdemace!

A standard raise here for me would be to 2.5BB, or 4000. Since this is about 1/2 the stack that I have left, I'm shoving here with a suited K.

I like raising to 3BB heads up, but since it's 1/2 my stack, would have no problems shoving here too. I would shove any pair, any A, any K (especially suited), or any suited connector.

To learn more about heads up play, please use this link to the videos from Andre (HoRRoR77). Andre's sessions are a big help, as I know that they have helped my HU play.

Unfortunately, the opp got lucky here, but in my eyes, the correct play was made, which is all the a player can do as a poker player.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
ty john for the link appreciated will watch these and looking into a live session tommorrow thankyou for the hand info

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com