Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

folded a big hand - big 11

Old
folded a big hand - big 11 - Sat Jan 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
he's a regular solid tight player and i think he's check raising me with a bigger hand

i don't know, it seems im always losing my big stack in a situation like this

i don't want to be stubborn and i just believe in his action

i don't want to stress myself for a big river decision because i think his next move is shove, what's else, right?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Marvin,

It's pretty gross having to fold there. But if he's not bluffing what possible worse hand can he have? His line looks a lot like 22/99. He could also have 77 here. I guess you beat like / but you have the , so is not possible. That is a really tiny check/raise though, offering you about 4 to 1 on a call. And he's repping such a tiny range. I think I'd have to float his check/raise though. I just think that if he can get a fold from you by check/raising that tiny you become too bluffable. Plus there is some chance he gives up on the river. I am folding to a river shove though. I don't think he can bluff-shove the river when you've shown so much strength.

I would consider checking back the turn to look weak and induce a river bet though. Hard to get a ton of value from worse on that board.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
(#3)
your right, i think i should just float and fold to a river shove

lesson learned

Old
You have to know when to fold 'em! - Sun Jan 29, 2012, 05:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan View Post
he's a regular solid tight player and i think he's check raising me with a bigger hand

i don't know, it seems im always losing my big stack in a situation like this

i don't want to be stubborn and i just believe in his action

i don't want to stress myself for a big river decision because i think his next move is shove, what's else, right?
This looks like a 90 man MTT (or larger), not close to bubble. At least that's what I'm assuming.

I eliminate AK from villain's possibilities (almost always 3bets PF). If I were the villain, I wouldn't make this 'play' on a semi-bluff (flush draw), without the A of spades. Being that you have the Ace of spades, I believe the villain has either a two pair, or a set.

Consider one last possibility... Think about your 'table image' (or past 'image' - you said you know this villain, he might know you as well!); being that villain is a 'reg', he may have a 'read' on you. Now, the aforementioned and dismissed flush draw, is also a good candidate for this move; as well as a small % of 'air'. If he thinks there's a good chance to get you off your hand and chip-up, even turning his Ace weak kicker into a bluff is a slight possibility.

If you foil his 1st attack by calling his 'turn' raise, consider his raise size!! The pot is now the perfect size for the villain's planned 'shove' on the 'river'; IF he has the gumption to make a 2nd attack, after you just made a strong statement by calling! A river 'shove by the villain is a scary thought for you as the 'hero', being that you only have top pair; maybe that is what the villain is counting on when he made the 'turn' raise. Again, this is villain dependent, and a bit of 'leveling' may come into play (maybe not at this level, but you never know).

From your 'read' on the villain, and being that you're not comfortable calling off his 1st attack, just fold. My advice to you is, "You have to know when to fold 'em!" You may have been out-played; just make believe you missed a draw (it will make you feel better, and keep you off 'tilt'). On the bright side, you still have plenty of chips!

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
(#5)
This is Big $11 $50k

well, i think it's a good fold after all i finished deep in this tourney 81st place

yes, i just fold because i know he will shove on the river and i just don't want to waste some more chips

Last edited by marvinsytan; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
hey marv congrats again for your deep finish
about that that hand,since you & opp more or less have even stacks,your play here should be pot control.you check back turn and call river bet of 1/2 pot or less...sometimes opp would bluff river with wide range here. thats my only opinion so dont bash me haha

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com