Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Bluff - Did I play this right?

Old
Bluff - Did I play this right? - Sat Jan 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
$2,50 90 man sng, 2nd and 14 left, i get raised on bb.... was it too risky? shld i reraised bigger on flop, maybe even reraise preflop?

Last edited by RaBBiiTGiiRL; Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
hi rabbit heres my opinion on this bluff

preflop-the opp min raises a definate defend for that price

flop-the opp min bets which looks weak
you re raise he only calls

the turn - the opp checks,the opp was looking reel weak at this stage
you bet he folds

yes i think the bluff was a good play,but yes i think a bigger bet on the flop may have took down the pot then

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 09:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
hey rabbit,

nice bluff

personally, against a big stack i guess i just have to be a little cautious and just let him have my blinds just to avoid confrontation

sb cbets if im going to reraise im going to reraise more 2.5x his bet just to act strong and to make it believable and will know for sure if his hands is strong enough to call also

then sb checked the turn it's a good follow up on the reraise on the flop

good job

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RaBBiiTGiirl!

With a larger stack, I'd want to be up against a short stack in this situation, not a larger stack that could put me in a really sticky spot. Due to this, I'm going to fold a weak ace in this spot without a read on the opp.
However, if I would decide to play it, I would re-raise, to find out if the opp had a hand or was trying to steal.

When the flop misses and the opp makes a min bet into me, I'm also folding here. Min raise preflop, then a weak lead on the flop could easily be a slowplayed monster.
If I was to bluff the flop, I would want to bet enough to represent a Q and to price out a flush draw, which would be about 2/3 pot or 1575. To even consider this move, I would need a read on the opp that would tell me that the opp will almost always fold to a large raise. A smaller raise on the flop will have the opp priced in, so they should call it with any made hand or any draw.

When the opp checks on the turn, I do however like the value bet here. If the opp check/raises, it's an easy fold and it also gives a chance to win the pot here.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaBBiiTGiiRL View Post
$2,50 90 man sng, 2nd and 14 left, i get raised on bb.... was it too risky? shld i reraised bigger on flop, maybe even reraise preflop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
hi rabbit heres my opinion on this bluff

preflop-the opp min raises a definate defend for that price

flop-the opp min bets which looks weak
you re raise he only calls

the turn - the opp checks,the opp was looking reel weak at this stage
you bet he folds

yes i think the bluff was a good play,but yes i think a bigger bet on the flop may have took down the pot then

I gotta say no Rabbiit. The only way I'm making this play is with 2 very specific reads on the villain,one being that they will raise wide to try and steal the blinds from LP and the other being that they will fold out a high percentage to a post flop bet. And if I DO have those 2 reads I'm RAISING here pre-flop,never flatting. Because if you raise and they check the option to you post flop now when you c-bet you are telling a much better story and showing much more strength. Flatting pre and then raising off the check looks like a stab more than it would had you raised pre.

But without those 2 specific reads this should be a fold pretty much 100% of the time pre-flop. I'm not running any software for myself right now but I'm darn sure that my VPIP with A6o is single digits and by a comfortable margin. And I doubt seriously it's more than a couple points higher suited. And ALL of those plays are raises into unopened pots to steal I'm thinking. Would be fairly certain my VPIP to CALL with A6o is zero or damn close to it.

Reason being is you flat here and then what? What's you plan post flop? What can flop that you'll be confident moving forward in the hand with? Two pair and trips is pretty much it. 3 suited to the Ace is good to and would be a great semi-bluff hand. But that's about it. You're not feeling great about any Ace. A single 6 is dodgy at best.

So to me the best play here (without the 2 specific reads I mentioned earlier) is to fold this hand pre-flop. Second choice would be to re-raise and absolute last choice would be to flat. Over the long run that's going to be a very spewy play.

On the flop IF we are going to continue forward with the bluff here I think we have to be much bigger on the re-raise. Like a 3 or 4x bet. And that can definitely lead to a spot where we will have to fold out if they come back over the top.

Turn after the check I'm raising bigger again,like 2/3's the pot. We want to rep a hand here and get a fold. Very likely that's the ONLY chance we have at this hand.

So all in all I would say that you got a little lucky here that the opp just played the hand rather brutally to be honest. Over the long run just folding the A6 pre is going to be a much better play. IF you had those two specific reads (raises wide to steal,will fold a high % to c-bets) then RAISE it pre-flop.

Holdem, A6o is so far removed from being a definite defend hand here that it's not even in the same galaxy man. If you are doing anything even remotely like definitely defending with A-rag in the bb STOP doing that immediately. You're spewing chips and money.

Old
Sun Jan 29, 2012, 05:21 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Thanks for all the advice

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com