Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Running Bad

Old
Running Bad - Mon Jan 30, 2012, 01:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
While not one to really care about bad beats, I figure if i write about them then perhaps my luck will change.

During the last week I have not been having any luck at all. I have lost with KK 7/8 times to lower pocket pairs. Lost with AA 3/4 times (including to a 92o lol). Ran JJ into TT and lost that one too. Lost with AK 8/10 times.

While I guess these bad streaks happen and if luck is down im going to lose tournaments. The worst hand was yet to come.

I was sitting in a $1 45-man SnG, I was 3rd in chips and about 12 people left. I was sitting in the CO position with AhJh and I did my standard raise of 2. this late in the tournament. The Button decided to call and we see a flop K82 all hearts. I'm thinking great I have flopped the nuts and make a raise to about 75% of the pot. The Button who was chip leader and very loose and a bit of a bully raised me about 50% of my stack. I'm thinking he probably has a K8 or a high pocket pair or even two hearts himself. I am comfortable i'm still ahead and convince myself he is just trying to bully me off the hand I re-raise all-in he shows pocket 4s lol. Turn comes down a 4. Ok still in pretty good shape to double up and be overwhelming chip leader heading toward the final table. Just trying to avoid a pair on the board and thinking that apart from the K the 8 and 2 were in the range of folding hands that most people could have folded pre-flop. I am starting to feel a bit nervous now especially due to the run bad i've been having. River comes down another 4 and i'm gone....ouch (needless to say my sofa cushion got a bit of a working over).

I'm down $22 this week which has basically undone all the good work I did making $54 the two weeks prior.

While i'm still ahead I am hoping this streak ends quickly and i start seeing some more positive results. This sort of luck is having me starting to doubt my game and wondering if it's me that is playing bad and not realising it. I am also wondering if i should stop playing for awhile to see if that gets me out of this slump. I am at a loss as what to do...

Last edited by EmotiveKiwi; Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
(#2)

SnG progress can see significant downward trend occuring...

Old
Mon Jan 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
The best poker advice I ever received was to stop focusing on result and start focusing on decisions. Make good decisions and results will eventually follow.

But I also know what it is like to be stuck in a rut of good decisions but bad results. I've also experienced runs where my near nutz hands kept running to a better near nutz hand for several weeks. That was my absolute worse poker experience ever and will never be forgotten.

So remember, there is always some one with a worse story than you have. Also bad runs will turn around. Concentrate on making good decisions to keep your skills sharp.

Good decisions for the win!

Joe

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 02:58 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
The best poker advice I ever received was to stop focusing on result and start focusing on decisions. Make good decisions and results will eventually follow.

But I also know what it is like to be stuck in a rut of good decisions but bad results. I've also experienced runs where my near nutz hands kept running to a better near nutz hand for several weeks. That was my absolute worse poker experience ever and will never be forgotten.

So remember, there is always some one with a worse story than you have. Also bad runs will turn around. Concentrate on making good decisions to keep your skills sharp.

Good decisions for the win!

Joe
Thanks that is great advice. I am definitely happy with the decisions I made at the time in every one of my hands. I think I just needed to write it down just to get it off my chest and straight after writing this cashed 3/4 tourneys for around $8.

Always happy to receive constructive feedback and I love training and trying to improve my game. I spend alot of time watching the training videos.

Last edited by EmotiveKiwi; Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 03:34 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com