Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

New Troublemaker in Town

Old
New Troublemaker in Town - Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012

Howdy,

Not really a troublemaker, at least I don't often try to be, just comes natural I guess considering my handle. As some background, I've played poker on and off recreationally for about 10 years now, mostly NL, small/micro stakes at other online poker sites and friendly home games. This month is the first time I've played at Pokerstars though.

Started here earlier this month and have been playing in the Open Skill League and the occasional Astronomer tourney.

Managed a 17th place finish in one of the Open League starts. Haven't done well in any of the astronomers, until tonight that is. Managed to get a WR2 ticket tonight, coming 25th in the Omaha H/L game..

This is what has prompted me to stop being a lurker here in the forums and write an intro. I've been lurking all month, absorbing the wisdom.

Now I see a NL weekend game on Saturday that says it is for the weekly astronomer winners but my tourney was for a pass into the Sunday Limit Holdem game. Now the Sunday game has a list of the qualifiers that get you into that game, the Saturday one doesn't.

So, here's my question. How do you get into the Saturday game? Does my winning a ticket get me into both weekend games? Somehow I doubt that.but maybe it is how it works.

So anyways, thought I'd say hello and would appreciate a point in the correct direction when it comes to using my free pass for the Astronomer games.

While I'm at it, if I couldn't play this weekend, do I lose the ticket or does it remain good for a future tourney?

I will go take a look at the help pages but my first cursory look didn't reveal much.

Oh, one last thing, for John and Dan, who I expect will be along with welcomes shortly from what I've read in other intros, I have read the through the forums pretty extensively in the past several weeks and have seen your posts to others suggesting the recommended reading... I'm way ahead of you on those fronts.

One last confession, really, this will be the last one for this post. I am seeing if I can build a bankroll from nothing, so won't be depositing to my account. My goal is to get it to $1,000 by year end. I figure the first few months will be slow. I've managed a whole 2 cents from my 17th place finish, but I should be adding 50 cents at end of month for finish in the Open League. I figure if I can duplicate that in February, I may have enough to take a stab at the micro cash game. And who knows, maybe I can get into the cash this weekend in the Astronomer I qualified.

Look forward to seeing you at the tables.

Cheers,

Mischiff

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Welcome to the crazy club. You should fit in well

Your astronomer ticket is valid for both the weekend games. There's no expity date, so save it for when you're feeling totally up for it.

Regarding the goal you've set yourself. It's perfectly achievable. I know because I did it myself

Good luck.

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 04:06 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Yeah, it's hard getting a roll up to $1k, but it's definitely doable before 2013. I know because I also did it myself (from $45 though). If you're not depositing, then it'll probably take time to work up a big enough roll to really get going, but if you really grind the freerolls, I'm sure you'll make it before long. I know that a large number of people who started playing the PSO League have gone on to be very good MTT players. I hope you can get a lot of money and a lot of knowledge out of PSO.

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 06:40 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Hi Mischiff and welcome to the forum.

I usually don't like the word, but I love it when someone is as proactive as you.

Thanks for the intro and even more, thanks for doing the reading and research.

Like the others say, it may take a little while to get your bankroll to your goal, but be patient because the slowest part will be the beginning. Stick to good br mgmt and you should be able to see it happen. Dman is spot on concerning the tickets too. In fact, if you have time, play those Astronomer freerolls whenever you have the time and build up a little stash of WR2 tickets. Saturdays are NLHE while Sundays change games.

Well you've probably seen that the people here are friendly and knowledgeable so be sure and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy and best o' luck!

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 08:11 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2011
ChromeStar
Mischiff,

Weekly Round 2 tickets DO NOT autmatically register you for the tournament on the weekends.

If you win a ticket, you go to whichever tourney, Saturday or Sunday, and manually register. The emails you get from PStars make it sound like you have been registered, but, its up to you to pick or choose.

You can choose not to use your ticket for quite a long time I think. Say you win this week. You could use that ticket in August if you want !! The best idea is to win lots of tickets and enter both of these tourneys on a weekend, its a great way to build a bankrolll.

Also if playing Astronomers, play the ones that start super late (like 11:00PM-1:00am). They have far far less runners ( usually under 3000) and its way easier to accumulate tickets this way. Also, play he obscure games like Badugi, 2-7, and Pot Limit Omaha. A vast % of field has no idea how to play these games and its easy pickings to build a huge stack early.

Cheers

Deaner

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Welcome to PSO Mischiff!

Good to have you onboard!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 09:37 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinyButPhat View Post
Also, play he obscure games like Badugi, 2-7,

I rarely play these any more, but when I did, these two were by far the easiest to qualify from

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 09:53 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
Someone had posted in the last few months that they had acquired a round 2 ticket and it had an expiry date.

To check if your Weekly Round 2 ticket has an expiry date, from the main lobby Requests->Tournament Tickets.

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:41 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mischiff!

Welcome to the fourm.

For the WR2 tickets, players can register for the Saturday or the Sunday games. Personally, I always took the Sat ones, as they were in the morning for me and normally had a few less people to get thru to be able to cash in them. When I started on PokerStars a few years ago, I started building my bankroll from zero too. If a player follows good bankroll management with what they earn and learn from all the tourneys that they are in, building it up from zero can be done. However, it'll be much slower until a player starts to reach a bit higher buy-ins than the dimes and quarters, unless they are multi-tabling a number of them.
I'm not sure what games you're better at, but you can also take a look at the 2/4 cent limit cash tables for hold'em and omaha8, as I've found those tables to be pretty soft, as I started to play them a few months before black friday.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 02:40 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
no roll no problem

go to shares stakings forum

i can stake you for $10 $1 45man for 10 games

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 03:01 PM
(#11)
Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the kind and informative responses. I'm not surprised as my lurking had shown this is pretty much a great group of people.

I will respond later tonight to some of the specific comments. For now, typIng this out on the iPhone is a bit painful.

Sure wish I could see aspects of this site on the phone, but things like the hand histories aren't supported. Oh well.

Cheers,

Mischiff

Last edited by Mischiff; Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling. Stupid iPhone autocorrect. That's my story and sticking to it.

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:23 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Welcome to the crazy club. You should fit in well

Your astronomer ticket is valid for both the weekend games. There's no expity date, so save it for when you're feeling totally up for it.

Regarding the goal you've set yourself. It's perfectly achievable. I know because I did it myself

Good luck.
Thanks DMan. I've enjoyed reading about your and EdinFreeman's quest for the Premier in other threads. I"m kinda glad that you will both be gone from Open next month, two less to worry about in my run for more cash.

And I'm glad that building a bankroll from nothing is doable here. Saw a thread from Jesus Ferguson on an interweb about creating a roll out of nothing, so thought I'm stubborn enough (though likely not talented enough yet) to do that too. So, since I started out near the start of the year, a new mission was born.

Appreciate the path has been broken before me leading the way.

Cheers,

Mischiff

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:29 PM
(#13)
Panicky and Dan,

Thanks both for the words of encouragement. I have no doubt that it will take a bit of time to get started and overcome a critical mass before I can be comfortable about not going broke again.

Each of you counselling patience is consistent with one of the reasons that I am setting myself this goal. I have tended in the past to being impatient and have taken hard earn winnings and leaked them away. Taking this route and working in the Open League is teaching me a lot about being patient (and now Astronomers, though I'm still working on the patience part there) such as working with stronger hands or good opportunities to exploit more marginal hands, rather than forcing weak positions.

Having real targets is helping keep focus.

Anways, cheers for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Mischiff

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:33 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinyButPhat View Post
Mischiff,

Weekly Round 2 tickets DO NOT autmatically register you for the tournament on the weekends.

If you win a ticket, you go to whichever tourney, Saturday or Sunday, and manually register. The emails you get from PStars make it sound like you have been registered, but, its up to you to pick or choose.

You can choose not to use your ticket for quite a long time I think. Say you win this week. You could use that ticket in August if you want !! The best idea is to win lots of tickets and enter both of these tourneys on a weekend, its a great way to build a bankrolll.

Also if playing Astronomers, play the ones that start super late (like 11:00PM-1:00am). They have far far less runners ( usually under 3000) and its way easier to accumulate tickets this way. Also, play he obscure games like Badugi, 2-7, and Pot Limit Omaha. A vast % of field has no idea how to play these games and its easy pickings to build a huge stack early.

Cheers

Deaner

Good advice Deaner, (and DMan as well in the next post) though I have to say, when it comes to Badugi, I think I'm part of the "vast %" to which you make reference Oh well.

And I'm not sure I can stay up that late and still function well in the day job that pays all the bills. This is just my fun time activity. While I have moments of delusional grandeur, I don't realistically think I'm the next great pokerstar!

Mischiff

Old
Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:40 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan View Post
no roll no problem

go to shares stakings forum

i can stake you for $10 $1 45man for 10 games
Hey Marvin, thanks very much for the offer. I will have to respectfully decline though.

I am more than capable of staking myself with a deposit. This endeavour to start from nothing and build is more to force myself to slow down and build a solid game from scratch. Since it is a new year and a new site for me, I felt it an opportune time to set new sights on where I'd like to be at year end.

I could easily deposit and load up to start playing, but I know my tendency in the past in that situation is to leak. I'm hoping (and so far I've been fairly pleased with my efforts) that patience will be rewarded.

So, thanks alot for being willing to stake a total stranger. Kudos to you for getting some people underway.

Cheers,

Mischiff

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com