Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Small blinds vs big blind play, late stages of a tournament

Old
Small blinds vs big blind play, late stages of a tournament - Wed Feb 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
I have been playing a lot of MTT's lately and seem to find myself busting in the same stages everytime (usually with around 150-200 players left). I play small stakes tournaments in the range of $1-$11 and i was playing a $1.10 6max turbo 2.5k gtd and there was around 150 players remaining in the tournament. Blinds were $2000 $4000 and i had $139k and the big blind had $108k. I had 77 in the small blind and raised to $10k and the big blind shoved for $108k, I had seen him make this move on numerous occasions and knew he was shoving light, as I was raising almost 80% of the time blind on blind I knew he could easily 3bet shove with air. I made the call and he had A3 and hit an A on the flop. As small blind big blind play is much more important in late stages of tournaments, can I ever lay down the 77 in that spot?

Any advice would be appreciated, thankyou.

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Lodden. In this scenario where you have a made hand sb vs bb in the late stages of a tournament I dont see myself ever folding to the aggressive bb's reshove. You have seen him make this play many times before so 77 is very likely to be aheadof his range and I expect him to show Ax a ton of times, any pair, maybe even suited connectors and a complete air ball, so this is a good spot for you and Im glad you made the call. Keep up the good work!

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:30 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi L0dden!

I also like the play here. With the opp only having one overcard (normally I'd expect to see two overs for a race), it's an even better situation. Unfortunately, they hit one of their three outs, but 77 will win this hand about 70% of the time and that's a chance that I'd be more than willing to take.

I hope that you were using good bankroll management when signing up for the tourney and if so, would then sign up for another one, as in my eyes, the correct play was made.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 06:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
cheers guys, at the time it just felt so bluffy, if he had anything he would of just put the 3-bet in as he had 25 big blinds, the shove just looks like he wanted to re-steal. Next time hopefully the 77's hold haha.

good luck at the tables guys

Old
Wed Mar 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi L0dden!

I also like the play here. With the opp only having one overcard (normally I'd expect to see two overs for a race), it's an even better situation. Unfortunately, they hit one of their three outs, but 77 will win this hand about 70% of the time and that's a chance that I'd be more than willing to take.

I hope that you were using good bankroll management when signing up for the tourney and if so, would then sign up for another one, as in my eyes, the correct play was made.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

I also like the play. Only thing i wondered was if you considered shoving (or rasing with a much larger ammount) instead of raising with his tendency to reraise/shove lightly. Gvien the fact that you as it seems more or less decided up front that you want the chips to go in, you could've made the call for him more expensive

Old
Wed Mar 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2012
Here is my thinking, since I am practicing thinking.

77 is not a hand that plays well post flop, so you don't want to see the flop. Since you are not going to fold it in any event preflop and the fellows reraise is close to 30% of his chips (you did not mention antys at the level), then why even bother with the difficult decision on what to do if he shoves your raise since your mind is already made up anyway?

Just shove and give him the difficult decision. Gives you more fold equity. He would need to have actual cards to risk tourney life with his fold equity now at 0.

Edit
(it was too cheap for him to call in any event even without antys. he calls, you would need to fold if he raised your c-bet...and you would be dead if you did not c-bet)

Edit2 (waiting on a tourney - so why not think it all the way through).

77 SB
For all you know, the BB has an average hand.

Can you fold? uhm, no.

Can you call? uhm, signal weakness, give him effectively 3 free cards, then play out of position with a hand that plays poorly after the flop. Uhm no.

Raise, but give him pot odds to call with virtually any 2 cards? Uhm, out of position and with cards he can easily get you off? Uhm no.

Raise, but give him pot odds to call only with good holdings? Better, but still. He reraises (shoves), you are still going to call (though a difficult decision of sorts). He calls, you have the post flop playing problem.

Shove. Why not. You really just want the blinds and antys. The chips are all going in if he wants them too anyway. So maximize fold equity, avoid all post flop play, eliminate his fold equity - and look like a horrible bully (mess with you and all chips can end up going in). Superior.

According to my massive 6 weeks of poker experience .

Last edited by jergul; Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com