Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Looking for fifty50 strahtegy advice

Old
Looking for fifty50 strahtegy advice - Wed Feb 01, 2012, 11:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
If you've read my latest PSO blog entry, you'll no doubt be aware of my intention to have a crack at the $1.50 fifty50's, and therefore am looking for some strategy advice.

After doing some homework of my own, my strategy thus far is this:

Early - play it tight until the first 2 players fall off, picking up on player habits, reads, ranges. Anything I can pick up on, taking small pots down or big pots with big hands.

Middle - up the aggression and hands played, putting the early stage observations to use until the second 2 players bow out.

Late/bubble - Chip stack permitting, slow down a little and keep my stack at a decent or growing level, chipping off larger stacks or getting shorter stacks all in with premium hands. If my stacks low, evaluate how I can get chips of my opponents or just try and survive until another player falls off the cliff.

I think this is a sound strategy, but as ever I welcome input.

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 12:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocofsmeg View Post
If you've read my latest PSO blog entry, you'll no doubt be aware of my intention to have a crack at the $1.50 fifty50's, and therefore am looking for some strategy advice.

After doing some homework of my own, my strategy thus far is this:

Early - play it tight until the first 2 players fall off, picking up on player habits, reads, ranges. Anything I can pick up on, taking small pots down or big pots with big hands.

Middle - up the aggression and hands played, putting the early stage observations to use until the second 2 players bow out.

Late/bubble - Chip stack permitting, slow down a little and keep my stack at a decent or growing level, chipping off larger stacks or getting shorter stacks all in with premium hands. If my stacks low, evaluate how I can get chips of my opponents or just try and survive until another player falls off the cliff.

I think this is a sound strategy, but as ever I welcome input.
I agree with you on early, middle and late/bubble play. But when it comes to late/bubble play loosen up/get aggressive because players are going to be so tight and won't call you so wide during this stage they want to survive and get their money back , eg. if an opponent is short stacked and super tight in their BB jam your button if it is folded around to you each BB/ante is worth money/profit in these 50/50s.

Considering you play these regularly I am sure you have seen Celina Lin's videos about 50/50 SNGs, if you haven't seen them >>click here<< she is a very aggressive player in the late stages of 50/50s and has a very impressive resume in Live tournament cashes.

CELINA LIN

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS

Macau Cup HKD $9,600 No Limit Hold’em
July 2008 2nd $10,492

ANZPT Adelaide AUD $3,000 Main Event
February 2009 7th $15,098

ANZPT Sydney AUS $10,200 High Roller
May 2009 3rd $29,255

Macau Poker Cup HKD $9,400 No Limit Hold’em
July 2009 1st $50,932

Good luck at the tables

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:00 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
CannonLee beat me to it. I played these quite successfully for a time last year (actually it was the $1.11 50/50s, 15% ROI from nearly 300 of them), and the biggest boost to winrate came from picking off players who tightened up as the bubble approached. Watch closely and see who has shut down hoping to sneak through, then attack them at every opportunity. It is amazing how many chips you can pick up. Just be wary of attacking the smallest stack who might be desperate enough to counterattack. Good luck.

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
I played two or three hundred at the $5.30 Fifty50 level last winter. My style was very tight early on and very aggressive at the bubble.

(It was not uncommon to fold my way itm...the whole tourney lol! however, at the $10 level the bubble broke significantly later making this much less likely. I wouldn't recommend it.)

Usually one of two senarios occur.

1.The best situation is that I flop a big hand and double up early. This allows me to open up and blind steal much more, especially from the regulars who are understand bubble play. However, although stealing liberally, I would shy away from stack risking situations preflop unless I had QQ+. In other words, if someone played back I got very careful and focused on concerving my chips rather than increasing them.

2. The worst situation is that I don’t get any playable hands early and am short stacked on the bubble. Here standard bubble play applies. So, pick your spots and hope your hand holds if you get called.

Note that getting ITM is much more important here than in other sngs. You don't typically win that much money. So, you need to make sure you are winning more often than in a regular sng. I ran 75% ITM with an 11% ROI when I played them. In regular SnGs I run about 50% ITM but with a similar ROI.

I haven't played these in a year. So, things may have changed a bit.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 09:26 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Thanks guys, sounds good. I'll definitely take it one board. Many thanks.

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 08:54 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
I myself am just starting to play these and i think that you are correct with the early to mid stages and that the bubble is when you gotta open up vs the tighter players trying to creep in the money to be profitable

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com