LAG style of play - Wed Feb 01, 2012, 06:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Not sure if this is the spot or not..

But currently reading Ever hand revealed by Gus Hansen

Basically it a diary of a LAG

Questions
1. Anyone play a LAG style
2. I'd love to try it seems it would work best against tight TAG's, but where would be a good place to try it?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 06:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Not sure if this is the spot or not..

But currently reading Ever hand revealed by Gus Hansen

Basically it a diary of a LAG

Questions
1. Anyone play a LAG style
2. I'd love to try it seems it would work best against tight TAG's, but where would be a good place to try it?

Grade b
you could try it on freeplay b and i like to play lag occasionally

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 08:19 PM
(#3)
I was thinking this style works best against Tight players and as can be seen in these forums most freerolls are not that tight.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 09:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Here's my understanding of LAG play and where it works:

Skilled LAG play is effective in game structures where high risk is tolerable (e.g. cash games). As I understand it, LAG play is not a method of exploiting TAG's. It's just another way to play the game, but with a higher tolerance for variance, and more post-flop play. It's generally a losing strategy if you're playing risk-averse games (e.g. single-table SNG's, Steps STT's), because high variance is basically incompatible with those kinds of games.

If you want to practice LAG play, then I'd suggest either cash games, or very large MTT's. Since LAG play is not inherently better than TAG play (you could make the argument that it's a worse strategy because of its difficulty to learn), you can't expect to win right out of the gate because you're exploiting TAG's. The idea is to learn to play a better postflop game, and that comes with practice. You'd probably start off by losing lots of money actually, but it's important to learn from those losses quickly rather than stewing over them. All LAG's lose a lot of money. Good LAG's just make that money back.

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 09:49 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Any good tips in the book?

I always assumed LAG to be like Marvin's play here?

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...lay-of-the-day

]Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I do some really small-ball stuff, like in the blinds where both of us know our hands aren't very good and stuff like that - but I've never tried anthing that advanced. One of these days, maybe I'll work up the nerve ... seems like good value if you can win chips with bad hands at least once or twice a game (although I guess you could lose a lot too ...)

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
(#6)
Marvins play is agressive but not necessary a good LAG play. (but honestly i'm no expert)

I feel a LAG here is raising the flat not looking to play to anothers players raise but i except its going to be read dependent.

I based my assumsion of Lag working well against TAG as a the opposite to the table idea. So Gus' tactic was aggressive on a tighter table.

In the book when he gets to 3 handed he goes into nitty mode to ladder climb. totally unlike him.

Tips not so much but he does explain his thinking in each hand which i am enjoying/taking stuff from.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 01, 2012, 10:34 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I guess it would have to be against TAG players to work ... because look at what happens when it's LAG against LAG

My brother's got two little sons now, so he doesn't have time to shop for gifts, so he keeps giving me gift certificates to Amazon for Christmas, etc. So easy to download books - I should start reading more poker books again ... will have to check out the Gus Hanson book

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 10:38 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 02:07 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Memory's a bit hazy, but it wasn't that long ago that someone posted an article by a well known (not to me ) LAG.

Might have been roomik. No doubt he'll be in here soon to confirm and maybe post a link if it was him.

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 07:54 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Memory's a bit hazy, but it wasn't that long ago that someone posted an article by a well known (not to me ) LAG.

Might have been roomik. No doubt he'll be in here soon to confirm and maybe post a link if it was him.
Correct again oh wise one

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-succesful-LAG

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:59 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
Didn't have time to read the article have to get ready for work. Skimmed through real quick and can't wait to read through it. Quick question, are you discussing playing 10-20 limit holdem?

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:00 AM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
now im scraching my head who wrote YOU that lol.......you are a dark horse.

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:26 PM
(#12)
Quote:

Thank you Roomik, and Jdean,

I see i have a lot to think about.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 02:18 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
ohhh man it was so long ago I posted this lol

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 05:16 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Any good tips in the book?

)
I thought about this and yes there is its a bit like a live training.

He goes though most handsand dissecs spots and plays

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com