Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

TrustySam's February Cowboy's Challenge - $1.50 STT's (Regular Speed)

Old
TrustySam's February Cowboy's Challenge - $1.50 STT's (Regular Speed) - Wed Feb 01, 2012, 08:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Okay, so this is my first official attempt at the Cowboy's Challenge ... so will have to make sure I get all the data in right - Cowboy is this screencap good enough?

Here's the results for the first two games. Busted out super early in the 2nd ... I keep forgetting that QQQ88>AA888 ... I guess when it happens often enough I'll finally learn. Oh well ... so here's the first 2 games:

I didn't realize until I checked my data that I've ITM'd 8 of the last 12 of these (including this early exit), so things might get worse before they get better I guess ... I like that with the Cowboy's Challenge it focuses on the long-view, so it's easier to not get as discouraged in the short-term. Going to go fire another one up after I go have some juice

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:57 AM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Sigh ... seems I've developed a pattern, where I try to take a short-stack out on the bubble and I suffer a bad beat, go on tilt, and wind up getting eliminated by the big stack with a TP lesser kicker. I think it's happened 3 times in the past two days, or something like that. These feel like games I'd normally be'd cashing in, so I don't know if maybe the volume might be making me more impatient.

I guess it's like multi-tabling - like maybe your ITM might go down, but your profit overall will be up because of the increased volume? Except I'm not making any profit right now ... except negative profit

Here's my updated chart ... 7 games done though, so that's something to be happy about. Hopefully I can do better as things go on and I get used to playing 4 a day

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
you know how to get close now get ITM

patience is a virtue and IT happens
gl y all

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 09:26 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Sigh ... seems I've developed a pattern, where I try to take a short-stack out on the bubble and I suffer a bad beat, go on tilt, and wind up getting eliminated by the big stack with a TP lesser kicker. I think it's happened 3 times in the past two days, or something like that. These feel like games I'd normally be'd cashing in, so I don't know if maybe the volume might be making me more impatient.

I guess it's like multi-tabling - like maybe your ITM might go down, but your profit overall will be up because of the increased volume? Except I'm not making any profit right now ... except negative profit

Here's my updated chart ... 7 games done though, so that's something to be happy about. Hopefully I can do better as things go on and I get used to playing 4 a day

Yes sir this is a nice way to show the status and can easily be verified.

Giddy Up!

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:07 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetmoose 613 View Post
you know how to get close now get ITM

patience is a virtue and IT happens
gl y all
Thx for the encouragement wetmoose

It seems like there was some improvement there - but when the fatigue and frustration came back, and I went more on 'autopilot', some of the bad habits and stuff came back. Hopefully over time that'll happen less and less I guess (hopefully! )

Congrats on the nice returns you've gotten doing the Cowboy's Challenge, and gl with February!!!

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:09 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post

Giddy Up!
Okay, thx Cowboy - cool, cool!

One of my results was missing from pokerprolabs, but I contacted them and they posted it today so I'll keep checking there to make sure all the data matches

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:40 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2010
Quote:

Giddy Up!
If you check Sam's profile I believe you'll find that the masculine honorific "sir" is not the appropriate term of address for our trusty friend.

Sam is of the fairer gender, and we should all cheer her as she takes on the Cowboy's Challenge.

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:42 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Here's the updates for today - thought it might be kind of neat to add notes to games where there were obvious spots for improvement. I'm sure there's room for improvement in every game, but figured it'd be easiest to start with the biggest most obvious ones ...

Some of it's variance - like the last game I played, where this maniac with a VPIP of 86 was winning every pot

I'm thinking of trying to avoid playing pots in later stages, and try to instead steal blinds if I need to maintain my stack. And if I have a decent-sized stack, just not do anything, unless people are especially tight and passive. Because stuff happens - maybe it's better to take fewer risks until the bubble bursts? I too went out in the last game with AK against the luckbox ... probably I should have added a note to that game too

Will give these another shot tomorrow. Going to keep at them

Last edited by TrustySam; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Added a missed game

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:48 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore 59 View Post

Sam is of the fairer gender,
haha - yeah I'm a girl!

But probably most of the time I just wind up sounding like a nerd though

Last edited by TrustySam; Fri Feb 03, 2012 at 12:50 AM..

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:48 AM
(#10)
ChromeStar
i havent figured out the best way to play the bubble either.you almost have to be physic.
gl y all

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:52 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
I might try to not play so much at all if I'm not the short-stack ... I'll see how that goes

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:24 AM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2011
gl sam cheers r0ck beat em bust em..... ps they are sngs so tighten your range well before the bubble ,,,,save that fold equity for where it has the most value!!! It gives u way more ammo(plays) to pick up the small pots @ the bubble .... and remember position is everything

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:26 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
haha - yeah I'm a girl!

But probably most of the time I just wind up sounding like a nerd though

Sorry for the mix up Sam!

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 08:13 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Sorry for the mix up Sam!

Oh, and in case anybody was wondering - I'm not really a cat either (haha! )

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 08:14 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck.carver View Post
gl sam cheers r0ck beat em bust em..... ps they are sngs so tighten your range well before the bubble ,,,,save that fold equity for where it has the most value!!! It gives u way more ammo(plays) to pick up the small pots @ the bubble .... and remember position is everything
Hey rockcarver - thx for the support!! Will see how it goes ... if it doesn't happen this month, there's always next month I guess

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:27 AM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Weird day on the felt - very weird day ... here's the latest results:

I don't know what to make of the results ... it just felt like variance was playing the biggest part and not anybody's game necessarily?

Although there was one leak I know I have that came up again in game #12 ... I'm capable of making a tough laydown once in a game (knowing I went in pre-flop with the best hand), but twice in one game ... sometimes I think wishful thinking gets the best of me

Like here's an example against a regular I've played quite a bit ... enough to know he won't stack off on a wet board or without a strong hand:

Hand 1 was an easy laydown (I only min-raised because i'd been stealing blinds like crazy, and didn't want to change my raise size now that I had an actual hand LOL!):

Hand 2, I limped hoping to induce a shove because he was getting impatient. And he did wind up shoving, but not until the river. And with my 2pr, all I could think is, "omg, please have AK and not the straight ... like, 57 or 7T or QT really??"

The limp pre-flop might seem kind of lame, but the villain was shoving about 33% of hands, so I was hoping he'd shove with weaker, which didn't happen. And maybe I should have raised on the flop. But wow, I really cringe when I look at my call on the river, knowing he wouldn't be shoving light. That was a 26bb call - yikes

Of course it would have been nice if at least one of my AJ's had held up , but since they didn't, I didn't do the greatest job at minimizing the damage. And minimizing losses is probably as important as maximizing wins I guess, eh? So mixed bag today ... work in progess I guess

Sam

Last edited by TrustySam; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Missed a game the day before, and had to change the game #'s

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 02:22 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Quote:
I might try to not play so much at all if I'm not the short-stack ... I'll see how that goes
So, it worked!!

With 9bb's in late position, this is a hand I might have tended to try shoving, to hopefully pick up blinds. But as per the above, I folded instead to focus more on my neighbor to the left when we were alone in the blinds. And they went out first and I made ITM

And then post-ITM I managed to build a decent sized stack, but still wound up 3rd because I misplayed a dominated hand. Guess I need to tighten up post-bubble too, now that tightening up pre-bubble has worked so well - like be more careful about kickers, because recently I seem to be going out almost every time post-bubble with a dominated hand.

Tightening up in later stages sounds kind of counterintuitive, but maybe the 10bb shove rule might have exceptions, like if you're on the bubble and you're not the short-stack, and if you'd be shoving into a loose big stack who's got you covered like 5 times over, etc? Not sure ... I made those other mistakes post-bubble, so will keep experimenting I guess

Last edited by TrustySam; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Added game #15

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:08 PM
(#18)
ChromeStar
if you got the time for some reading check the web for independent chip modeling. it will be enlightening!

gl y all

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 08:01 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Note on my game records:

Thought something was wrong with my PT and importing hands, and so I was trying to record keep manually (yikes ). So, it turns out I had a bad filter on, and of course my record keeping was off ... thank goodness for PT!!

Anyways, missed game #11, so then game #11 was really game #12, and so on, and I'm down even more But my records should be back on track now, and the filter is fixed for PT, so I found the hand I had been searching for, and am able to see the win rates for each hand played so far, etc.

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetmoose 613 View Post
if you got the time for some reading check the web for independent chip modeling. it will be enlightening!

gl y all
That seems to be a really big thing in SNG's now, eh? I was reading some of the theory behind it, but haven't tinkered at all with actual hands and the calculators because I'm lazy (LOL!! )

I suppose that's what's so wonderful about the Cowboy's Challenge, is that it forces us to stop and post records and think about what's happening to our bottom line, instead of just going to eat a cookie and then starting a new game and stuff ... maybe that might be interesting to check out ... the pot-odds, what the ICM calculators say, etc

There's another bubble hand that's been haunting me, where I was the one getting shoved into by the short-stack when I was in the bb, and I made a call - maybe I'll take a look at that one too

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com