Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Cash game 5NL QQ

Old
Cash game 5NL QQ - Thu Feb 02, 2012, 08:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
BronzeStar
Hello guys
wondering if someone can help me out with this hand, weather i made the correct lay down or should i have shoved or called. Was a hard decision to fold the qqs but my thought was would he re-raise me in that spot, special as both of us were playing very tigh. so made me think he had a hand like AA or KK . hope someone can help as its bugging me lol

PokerStars Hand #74898797844: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05 USD) - 2012/02/02 13:13:25 WET [2012/02/02 8:13:25 ET]
Table 'Meissa IV' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: BB_6o ($4.42 in chips)
Seat 2: dE5pEradojr ($2.42 in chips)
Seat 3: Cirilia ($5.55 in chips)
Seat 4: Jswall8 ($9.38 in chips)
Seat 5: skorpia1988 ($5.24 in chips)
Seat 6: corpse-12rus ($3.05 in chips)
Seat 7: Juuretis ($5 in chips)
Seat 8: Effort92 ($1.98 in chips)
Seat 9: tomycta ($2 in chips)
Jswall8: posts small blind $0.02
skorpia1988: posts big blind $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Jswall8 [Qd Qs]
corpse-12rus: folds
Juuretis: folds
Effort92: folds
tomycta: raises $0.10 to $0.15
BB_6o: calls $0.15
dE5pEradojr: folds
Cirilia: folds
Jswall8: raises $0.35 to $0.50
skorpia1988: raises $1.50 to $2
corpse-12rus leaves the table
tomycta: folds
BB_6o: folds
modify0 joins the table at seat #6
Jswall8: folds [Qd Qs]
Uncalled bet ($1.50) returned to skorpia1988
skorpia1988 collected $1.30 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.30 | Rake $0
Seat 1: BB_6o folded before Flop
Seat 2: dE5pEradojr folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Cirilia (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Jswall8 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: skorpia1988 (big blind) collected ($1.30)
Seat 6: corpse-12rus folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Juuretis folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Effort92 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: tomycta folded before Flop

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved to more appropriate forum since member would like the hand analyzed JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Jswall8!

A couple days ago we had a very similar hand to yours posted here. In that hand, it was a 6 max table with a villain who was on a 16% VPiP over a small sample (a tight 6 max range), and the Hero had QQ as well. He elected to 3bet, and when he was 4bet, the Hero went all in. He did run into AA...

Your situation is a little different than this one though...in the other hand the "hero" had position. So my opinion about your hand is this:

First, your 3bet is fine depending on how we view the other players who have raised/called ahead of us.

In my opinion, your QQ is strong enough to raise over standard type MP raise ranges, and even a single caller with any sort of normal call range is not going to pose a significant threat to you. You also set up a very beneficial SPR for you to commit versus these 2 players (assuming they ARE loose) if your QQ see a flop that keeps it an over pair.

When the other "very tight" player 4bets though, things get a lot dicier...

To me, "very tight" at a full ring game equates to a VPiP of somewhere around 10% to 12%. This would include all open raises and calls though, so we can expect any 3bet range by this guy to be a lot tighter. A 4bet range, especially versus ANOTHER "very tight" 3bettor makes this a VERY NARROW top end value range indeed!

I'd usually range a villain I had marked as "very tight" thusly:

- 5% or 6% open raise in EP.
- 10 to 12% open raise in MP/LP.
- 5% to 6% 3bet range vs. "normal" opp's.
- 2% to 3% 4bet range vs. "normal" opp's.

So in this spot, we gotta think he is on a range around 2% to 3% if he really is "very tight".

BUT...

Using the "gap concept", we know that about half the time he will be at the top of this range, and half the time in the bottom of it. We cannot really 5bet him, as he will likely fold out any hands in a 2.5% range that we crush (JJ/TT), and call or move in on any hand crushing us (or racing) AA/KK/AKs.

In this spot, because we are oop and the villain may open jam ANY holding if we check in this fat pot, our only choices are really to put him all in, or fold now. Putting him all in now would be pretty value owning to ourselves, so simply because we are oop versus a very tight player, I think I would lean towards a fold here, rather than flat the 4bet as I would if we had position with QQ.

So I do like your fold here Jswall8, given your info, and your position.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
BronzeStar
Thank you JDean you have been very helpful
Was a hard lay down but with the states i had on the player and my gut feeling made me decide to throw the hand away.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com