Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AcQh - AK9diamond flop - 6maxNLHE $0.01/$0.02

Old
AcQh - AK9diamond flop - 6maxNLHE $0.01/$0.02 - Fri Feb 03, 2012, 04:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I am on the button with AcQh and raise 4x after a limper. Both blinds and the limper call.

Flop comes all diamonds, AK9. I now hold top pair.

The big blind bets $0.15 into a $0.32cent pot and gets a call. The action is now on me.

I had been the most aggressive player at the table preflop, raising more often and with a wider range than my opponents.

All the other players have been fairly tight and none has shown down without at least a made hand, so I suspect the other players have hit some of the flop or are on strong draws. They had also not been raising preflop very often, even with middle-strong pairs (77-JJ) or big aces, but often limp/calling hands of that range. So far I have only seen preflop raises from them reach showdown with QQ+ and AQ+.

With one player behind still to act, do I have the right price to continue to see another card? Should I call to control the pot, raise to try to see where I stand, or fold to avoid getting into a bad spot?

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 07:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
This spot is indeed some sort of dilemma because of the awkward stacksizes. I can see merits to both raising and calling.

Raising the flop does yield some value against single diamonds and worse aces. However, the real danger here is that raising can also cause you to sometimes get your money in drawing slim/dead without a diamond against made flushes, two pair or sets.

I would consider both opponents' tendencies and think about whether or not you expect them to be calling/jamming against a raise with a lot of worse hands/draws. If the answer is yes, raising can be profitable. If both of them are fairly tight and solid raising wont accomplish much since they might be folding too often and only continue with better.

On the other hand calling can be good too. You do give both players a cheap look at the turncard, but you will also be able to collect further information and you can take pretty good decisions on most turns (i.e. folding any diamond turn, calling on blanks or Q/As). I would probably be inclined to fold if one of them bets the turn big.

- Felix

Live Trainer

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 08:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
i like flixxs analysis.but is it really worth calling to peel off what? obvious if you were agressive they probably would of called any reraise due to not believing you. My opinion is an instant fold,putting money into a dead hand like that is dangerous regardless of pot odds.
you had no diamond ,more than obvious one of the two other players would have a diamond draw of some sort and a big possibility of a set.
i think its a snap fold or preflop a bigger raise but again playing aggressive you still would of been callled.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com