Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

cash game profits

Old
cash game profits - Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Hiya

Just starting a small foray into the cash games, but I do have a question. Now I know my first result is pretty decent, but when searching the big bad web for info, I run into a big discussion with seemingly no answer.

The info I have says profit margins should be calculated as BB per 100 hands, where 6 BB would be profitable, and 10 or more would be good. The problem is BB. Some say it stands for Big Blind, others say it stands for Big Bet, where 1 Big bet = 2 Big Blinds.

Any light on this?

----------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
In FLHE, live profit is usually expressed in BB/per hr, where BB = Big bet.

The Big Bet would be equal to double the big blind, so in a 5/10 FLHE game, your Blinds are usually 2 and 5 pre flop (or some places 3 and 5). On the turn the fixed betting limits raise to $10 increments though, thus it is the "big bet".

About 3 to 4 BB/hr is a VERY solid win rate in FLHE live, and roughly 6 to 10 BB/100 hands is very good on line (you'll see about 30 hands per hour live, versus 50+ per hour on line). The BB/100 hands is used on line due to multi-tabling, and the much higher rate at which single table hands are dealt.

In no limit, the minimum bet stays the same throughout the hand, and that amount is equal to the big blind. In a $1/$2 game, you can min bet $2 on the flop, turn, or river. Therefore, for NLHE, BB = "big bet" or "big blind", they are the same thing.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
In FLHE, live profit is usually expressed in BB/per hr, where BB = Big bet.

In no limit, the minimum bet stays the same throughout the hand, and that amount is equal to the big blind. In a $1/$2 game, you can min bet $2 on the flop, turn, or river. Therefore, for NLHE, BB = "big bet" or "big blind", they are the same thing.

-JDean
Lol. I've been dabbling with NLHE for 3 years now, and I never knew that. I always thought the minimum bet preflop and flop was 1 big blind, and the minimum bet on turn and river was 2 big blinds.

------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 02:45 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
I've been playing cash games for a few weeks now and have started using Poker Tracker 3 to track my progress as I've decided 2012 will be the year I start playing cash games and actually spending time on poker study and developing my game!

Anyway, I too was really keen to learn what is a decent win rate. I've only been tracking Feb so far and I've attached the stats.

Any thoughts would be good. I think my BB per 100 hands is 9.72. I'm only playing 6 tables at a time. This is over 4000 hands

Is this OK for total noob?

Cheers,

Natalie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detailsnatalie3107.jpg (10.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Natalie3107; Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: add in number of hands

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 03:22 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Natalie!

Most newer players won't even be showing a profit, as they will start off losing, then bring their numbers up some, as they learn. Having a profit of 9.72BB/100 hands is definitely doing a number of things correct.

FYI - normally it will take a player being in the top 10% of all players to even show ANY profit.

Keep it up and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 04:59 PM
(#6)
Ok great! That is really good to know. I lost a fair amount playing sporadically here and there for a few thousand hands then I started watching TheLangolier's 2NL training and basically had to re-think the whole way I was approaching cash games. I've been spending a few hours playing then one hour watching training or a video from the site and just repeating that every day.

I had a another good session last night so for Feb 2012, I've played 4530 hands. Won $22.06 with BB/100 of 12.17.

Thanks for the encouragement!! I appreciate it.

Nat.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com