Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

overpair - what to do? $3.3 $5k 6max

Old
overpair - what to do? $3.3 $5k 6max - Fri Feb 03, 2012, 04:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

first time i saw my opp shove on the flop, i know im ahead because why is he going to shove if he have AA KK or QQ right, the bet is a scared move

maybe im ahead with AK but just can't make a call, even when im ahead definitely he have 2 OC to beat me, with still around 29bb's left, i have lots of room to play poker

im confident about my postflop game and i don't want to be flipping my tournament life

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 04:49 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
How long have you been at the same table? You say its the first time you see him shove but I have no idea if this is your first orbit or what at this table.
Did the blinds just go up,how has the table been playing before this,did villian just lose a hand,is it common for him to re-raise preflop..Ton of info that could help us give you a better answer.

I could tell you good fold and be wrong based on the info. Your not going to get good responses without info and in turn we cant help you develop your reading skills.
We need more info,do you run a tracker?

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 05:26 PM
(#3)
hey iseeookies,

thank you for helping

i've been playing with the opp for a good 30mins and i think he's been playing standard poker,

opp is tight aggressive

i don't use any tracker because i want to play based on what im seeing and not because of their stats

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
Its really hard to give you a proper solution for this hand.
JJ is a hard hand to play when your facing aggression.

I tend to give players the benefit of the doubt the first time they make that play and I note it.
Sure you see later that the guy makes that move with crap more than not and it pisses you off but you can look at them as a bank once you see that.
First thing I do is tank and think through the hand street by street all the way back to preflop.
I then look at position and how active he is from this postion at the table against the table and then against me. Sometimes you find a player getting aggressive from UTG+1 because they think you call to often and fold on the flop. I have stacked so many players misreading by watching them and thinking how they see me and encouraging that image.
No play is wrong if you have a plan that will work against a certain player.

For example you can open limp against a Donk that raises from late position because he has read that this is how you make money. They may understand punish the limpers but they dont understand any thing else. I know I say never open limp but I say that because it is a great foundation to work off. If I play with other peoples money I never open limp.

You can open 7 or 8xbb against a calling station and cbet the flop knowing they fold if they miss.
There is the proper way to play and then there is the understanding how to extract as many chips vs. a certain player. I stress this because I shove with good hands against some players and get them to call weak. They tank and try to work it out and it doesnt make sense so they call.
TAGs and especially a good TAG knows how to play his opponent.

He has watched you and has one of two reads. You fold easy to aggression and wont call a allin which is common for most players. Or you call loose.

So looking back at the preflop you can say he is building the pot knowing you are going to fold on a board like this or he actually has a hand. We are now back to reads!! lol

Just remember to think about how opponents see you at the table as well as how they play and it might make that spot easier. JJ is hard to play for a reason.
He could have AT or he could have TT, there is no way to tell with out prior info.
I will say I find myself calling in these spots a tad more then I used to because Its a good spot to double up.

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 06:23 PM
(#5)
tnx cook,

yes im the guy that can't call an all in

maybe he got a read on me but i will let him have those pot

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
Most people cant call a allin,thats why it is such a good move in the right spots.

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:56 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Marvin,

Interesting hand.

I think after flatting his 3b preflop. This is the best flop we can hope for, we have to commit here.

I agree I think you are ahead here. Bigger pairs may bet but not shove here. Sets would almost never be shoving here. My best guess would be AK or AQ of spades or air. Vs overcards and flush draw we are a small dog but still getting a super price to call.

The reason I think there is a reasonable amount of air in here. With his 3bet and you flatting this flop is unlikely to hit you, so a good flop for him to cbet. Any cbet would commit him so his only option is to shove. He's hoping that the only hand you don't have is basically the hand you're holding. His "Air" range has plenty of overcards but without the flush draw you have him crushed.

Since we either have 50/50 equity or have him crushed I think we have to call here.

I understand the thought of preserving your tournament life and not wanting to flip. But I think we're getting waaaay better equity than a flip here and it's too good to pass up.

Depending on your read on the 3bettor I think I could just shove here preflop, JJ very difficult to play on the flop but still pretty strong vs a 3b's range. Perhaps you don't want to risk your stack on a flip. Then flatting I would for certain be shoving any flop without overs.

Thanks
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 11:35 AM
(#8)
your right, i should have called without overs

i'm ahead so why not call

best flop for my J's

lesson learned

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com