Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Just one more hand to evaluate today

Old
Just one more hand to evaluate today - Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi, just another hand I run into today that made me wonder, could I have extracted more value from it? It seemed that I would only have been called/raised by a better hand. The opponent was being aggresive but also pulling smart moves, so he could have made the J trips and be checking to see if I raised.

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
hi cleo the guy limps in utg+2 which to me normally means mid pairs or something like aj.
Your preflop raise was the right amount but sometimes unbelieved in button posisition.
The opp only calls your raise so i think kk,qq,jj can be ruled out with no raise preflop and only calling your raise.

The flop the opp leads out,suggesting maybe aj or even pocket 88s.
This next bit i really liked,you reraised,the most valuable tool we have is chips to ask the questions.
The opp then only calls your raise on the flop,at this point im possibly ruling out 888 and the house,i think surely as you have raised he would of put you on a hand maybe like aj so to me that as left the equasion.

the turn he checks, i would be quite confident he had missed that board but would definately
put in a small c-bet. to confirm my suspisions, but to be honest i think he may of folded.

the river he checks,at this stage a value bet would definately make sense,keeping it cheap though to get the call and not scare him off.

Old
Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
I think I would have tried on the river, you might not have got paid, but you wouldn't have had to show in that case. Worst case, he comes over the top and you have a tough decision, but I think if he had trip jacks he would have raised by the river, expecially since you checked back on the turn.

You might have lost a little value here but you minimized any risk to your stack and took down a nice pot. Well played.

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 01:19 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi cletero,

I like the preflop raise to isolate on the weak limper and extract value from him. A bit more (like .10c) would be ok too if we think he'll pay it.

On the flop he donks into you for 3/4ths pot, a pretty solid bet. This is a spot I'm not raising unless I feel confident he doesn't have a J and I'm willing to commit. Raising isn't good because we will tend to fold out worse hands and only get called by a range that has excellent equity against us (basically, hands beating us already + draws which have a lot of outs). It can be more profitable to simply flat his lead, which may keep him firing with his bluffs and semi-bluffs, and thinking his pairs like TT or A8 are good. If we're up against a jack, he'll keep firing that too of course, but we'll gain the most value by keeping his range as wide as possible, not raising and folding out worse made hands.

I think checking back the turn makes sense, chances are he's either got us beat (on the flop, or with a flush now), or he's just folding to another bet. When he checks again on the river, I'd make some kind of value bet unless the guy was tricky/trappy... most players won't try and check-raise the river with better hands than ours, they'll check call or just lead out themselves. So having position is a big advantage, we can make some kind of token value bet and get called by weaker pairs. .30-.35c I think is about right to get the curiosity calls from worse pairs.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 09:06 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
hi dave you say you would not raise on the flop,does this not make you look weak if you only flat call? and allows him to fire a bigger bet on the turn which then would make it a harder decission? on the turn.

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 11:14 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
hi dave you say you would not raise on the flop,does this not make you look weak if you only flat call? and allows him to fire a bigger bet on the turn which then would make it a harder decission? on the turn.
Make a plan for your hand, and apply the process of REM (Range, Equity, Maximize). Sometimes calls appear strong, we don't know how the villain will interpret a call (are we slowplaying AJ? do we have a flush draw? peeling with AK? etc.)

Calling keeps our range uncertain, and keeps the villains range as wide as possible. If he feels our call looks weak, that's actually perfect for our spot because we have a hand strength that gains a lot of value from the bluffs and worse made hands in his range, and a read of "weak" will encourage all those hands to put more money in the pot.

The villain doesn't have that much money behind since he didn't start the hand with a full stack. So my plan on the flop when I flat is to call him all the way down if he keeps firing. Sometimes we'll be paying off Jx or 88, but much of the time we'll be stacking pocket pairs, 8x, and draws. If he checks to us, we have position and can still bet to extract value from these hands. IOW given his stack size and range, I think it's profitable to commit here but using REM I think the best way to maximize is leave him in the drivers seat for now.

Since I have my plan when I call the flop, he can't really confront me with any tough decisions. I've already decided it's profitable to get stacks in if he's driving the betting, so if he shoves the turn (about a pot sized bet), I'm simply realizing that profit.

Raising the flop shows a lot of strength and will fold out parts of his range that we're crushing (bluffs and weaker made hands), while never folding out better hands, which fails to maximize value in our spot.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com