Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Did I play this well?

Old
Did I play this well? - Sat Feb 04, 2012, 10:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Everyone folds and the button makes a raise... Stats on raiser are that he is a tag but from the button he raises 40% so I do think a jk off is good enough... Did I play it bad or maybe I had to fold before? or when, thanks. For about an hour I played against him and he always nearly raised and betted the flop and turn too...

Etienne

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 11:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Etienne!

In my opinion, given that you have seen a 40% raise rate on the button by this guy, you can certainly flat KJo in the SB. You could also think about 3betting.

Of course I must note, KJo is not going to be a "great" hand versus this aggressive button player, and the depth of money is such that you may find it hard to play a top pair oop. While your holding does stand to be decent versus what is probably quite a wide range, a 3bet may be a bit loose pre flop since per your read this guy tends to "bang" the button HARD, and he will continue to do so. Much like an AK oop versus a raise and a small 3bet, I think overall I'd prefer to flat as you do here.

On the flop, when you flop the gut shot, I do not mind your check. You really do not "hate" a free card if the villain will give you one. Everything you have in the way of info says he is un-likely to give that free card though. I'm not sure I like the CALL though when the villain does bet after you check.

In this spot you have no real clue whether a K or J will be enough of a hit to win you the pot, as there are a lot of weak Aces this opp may be raising/betting. If you do hit either of these cards though, you are probably going to have to treat them like they are "winners" and a least continue calling. As such, I think I'd de-value the 6 outs you have a bit, and consider the worth only about 3 outs total. Adding in your 4 "clean" outs (the Q's), that gives you a total of 7 outs.

With 47 unknown cards going to the turn, that means you have about 7 / 47 = 14.9% chance to make the best hand on the turn (before the villain likely bets again). You need about 5.7 to 1 odds to make this call worthwhile. There is 66c in the pot, and you are facing a call of 27c, thus you are only getting 2.44 to 1 to call.

Since you really are going to find it hard (with the A on the flop) to take the lead with a K or a J spike, it will be tough to extract your "make up" in implied odds on those hits. Sure, the villain is going to keep betting at you, and your K or J MIGHT be good, but since you cannot really take the betting lead on almost half your "outs", I must really think you'd have been better off folding this flop.

In my opinion Etienne, flatting pre flop versus this aggro player is fine as long as you maintain a "fit or fold" mentality in your play. Had you spiked a pair on the flop, even 2nd pair, there probably would have been enough reason to continue versus his aggro BTN play, but a gut shot plus a DRAW to 2nd board pair, is really not strong enough to keep playing versus his aggro patterns; it will simply cost you too much to call.

This flop really did not "fit" you well enough to hang around, so I think it probably should have been a "fold", before it starts to cost you too much.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 12:17 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com