Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

You Choose the ACTION! (Pre-Flop #2)

View Poll Results: What do we do, Facing a raise to $69 to go by the Dentist?
1) FOLD 3 27.27%
2) CALL 4 36.36%
3) RAISE Small, making it between $133 (a min raise) and $165 to go (1.5 times Dentist's raise). 2 18.18%
4) RAISE Medium, making it between $166 and $225 to go (just under 2.5 times Dentist's raise) 0 0%
5) RAISE Large, making it between $226 and All in to go. 1 9.09%
BLANK (for JDean's use, please do not select, TY.) 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old
You Choose the ACTION! (Pre-Flop #2) - Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
The group decided to limp along with our KQh.

Continuing...

(a re-cap)

SB: Dentist (seat 1)
BB: Reg 1 (seat 2)
BTN: Us (seat 9)

Action folds to mid 20's girl in seat 5; she limps for $5.
Kid in seat 6 calls.
Grandma in seat 7 folds.
Mid 30's/early 40's guy in seat 8 calls as well.

We look to our left and see the Dentist sititng with his hands on his cards, and he licks his lips quickly once.
Reg 1 has not yet looked at his cards, and is watching the action.

Pot = $22 when it comes to us.

We look at our cards and see Kh Qh.

What do we do?

New ACTION:

(NOTE: All stack sizes shown here are the amounts behind the bets placed in the pot)

We LIMP, by calling $5.

The pot is now $27.

The Dentist leans forward and looks at us, and glances at our stack. He then leans back, and announces "RAISE", and pushes $69 total into the pot.

Pot = $94

Reg in BB mucks.
The mid 20's girl mucks.
The kid mumbles a bit to him self, and tosses his hand toward the dealer with a bit of disgust.
The mid 30's/early 40's guy looks over at you, looks back at his hand, and he mucks as well.

As we contemplate our action, the Dentist says, "I really want you to call _____, I want to bust your luck bubble tonight!".

What do we do?

1) FOLD
2) CALL
3) RAISE Small, making it between $133 (a min raise) and $165 to go (1.5 times Dentist's raise).
4) RAISE Medium, making it between $166 and $225 to go (just under 2.5 times Dentist's raise)
5) RAISE Large, making it between $226 and All in to go.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 01:22 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
3 licking his lips tells me his mouth is getting dry cause he is bluffing.

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 01:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
i call.

he raised less than his previous bluff, so, he might have some sort of hand, i want to see a flop and reevaluate, a raise will probably make him fold if he is bluffing, a call might make him bluff more streets.

ps:
heads up, in position against the whale is exactly where i want to be!

Last edited by Django66; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 02:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Your dentist is beginning to look more dental by the minute.
Maybe "my" min-raise would have slowed him down a bit, maybe not.
In any case, at this point, I do want to see the phriggin' phlop - and he ain't going to fold my all-in or any raise... he's dental...

So if anyone's got ideas for any other course of action [other than flatting], I'd certainly be interested in reading hem.

Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: see [ ]

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 02:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
yuck yuck and yuck

Fold - mutter mutter heads up with KQs against a known bluffer who seems nervous, nope doesn't seem that great an option.

Call - $64 more will make pot $158 is an option

raise small say to 150- will give me an idea where I am in the hand - I like it- if he folds woohoo if he all ins i'm folding

Medium raise yuck yuck yuck - yes if he's bluffing this will chase him away but this really leaves us pot commited (well it would me) may as well all in if this is really our choice

All in good option if I'm convinced A) hes bluffing or b)he likely to fold to his image of us.

so call or min raise I min raise i think here.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 04, 2012, 02:12 PM
(#6)
Hmm.. JD going to flop us Ah Js 9s... or something like that... :)

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 01:26 PM
(#7)
I guess the dentist fainted or something.
Still, Grade B, I don't really like raising here at all, I do want to see a flop with those cards and it's got just expensive enough as it is. We min-raise, he can 3-bet. Lets' see a flop.

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 01:45 PM
(#8)
im folding because now i dont think the guy is licking his lips because he is thirsty but has the aces.

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 01:54 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'm calling. The dentist either has a monster or air. By calling, if we hit the flop, then we can play the hand in position, if not, then we can get out on the flop.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 01:58 PM
(#10)
Actually I happen to know exactly what the dentist is thinking ;)

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 03:57 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Next street in about 10 or 12 hrs...get your choices in folks!

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 01:28 PM
(#12)
(Head Trainer)
Looks like call is going to win, but I'm folding anyway.

The thing I don't like about calling is that we're creating a low spr scenario of ~ 3, which means we'll probably have to commit to playing for stacks when we flop a K or Q. But when he commits and plays for stacks with us, we'll often be losing to a better kicker or overpair.

If we miss, we'll have to fold to what I expect to be a rather large c-bet. And if we flop a draw, we won't really be able to semi-bluff it because it's going to be hard to fold out strong 1 pair hands in a low spr spot. if he flops an overpair to the board he's not folding to a flop shove over his c-bet. This holding derives some of it's strength from being able to semi-bluff when we flop draws, but in this case the effective stack greatly reduces fold equity on a semi-bluff.

If his raise were a more normal size (30-40), or if we had 1K instead of 500, then I think we can call and see the flop in position, although it's still thin.

If we raise, I think we are largely value owning ourselves. He's going to fold all his bluffs, and probably put us in with his value hands, a range which KQ does not play well against at all. In order for this to be profitable he needs to have a ton of bluffs in his range.

And, I really don't think he's bluffing. The lick of the lips/anxiety while waiting for the action to get to him doesn't have to mean he's preparing to bluff, it more often means he's got a big hand and is feeling anxious to get the action going (people usually feel this anxiety AFTER they bluff, when bluffing... not before the action gets to them). Plus, the last time he made a bluff raise over limpers he made it $225 to go, this is only $69. I mean he could be full of baloney, but it seems to me there's a reasonable chance he's hoping to just look that way with this bet size while leaving room for frustrated opponents to call or come over the top of him light.

Over all, neither raising nor calling look appealing to me, so that leaves folding. It's ok, as long as he doesn't rack up and leave we should get more clear cut opportunities to go after him.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 02:38 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
CALL Wins...

Moving on to next street. Please see post marked: You Choose the ACTION! (The Flop #1).

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com