Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR: Made a boat, facing a monster all-in

Old
2NL FR: Made a boat, facing a monster all-in - Sun Feb 05, 2012, 08:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Villain was playing 10/5/1 (about 400 hands in history)

The one thing I do know about him and is noted by other players is that he limps in with big hands, slow plays and bets monsterous amounts (compared to the pot sizing) on the river when he thinks his hand is good.

I picked him for 6,6 or 9,9 (which is why I folded the boat).

Any opinions or advice on this would be much appreciated.
Cheers

FH

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 08:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Hey Filthy,
I couldn't fold here, he may only have the nut flush.
I would go down with the ship.

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 08:48 PM
(#3)
Hey,
I tell you, I thought about it long and hard.

I actually told him I had a boat as the time clock kicked in ... he called me a 'bluffer', which either meant he was sweating if he had AA or made a flush on the turn ...

or ...

he was goading me into a call cos he did have 2nd or 3rd nuts over mine?

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 09:05 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi FilthyHermit.

This is certainly a sticky spot.

On the 1 hand, you spike the hand you really wanted to see on the river. On the other hand, this guy is betting so much, into such a small pot, that it is really a tough call.

Look back at the action though...

Pre flop, you get a free flop versus a limper who only has a VPiP of 10. If you consider that he will limp that entire range, 66 is just outside of that tight range. KK is within that range, but you hold a blocker to that card. So the only huge fear I'd have would be 99.

Next, you have to ask yourself why this guy would "wait" to bet a set with a possible straight on the flop. On the turn, a possible flush is there too, and you bet strongly enough to surely represent the flush.

Does he "give up" a lot on the river too?

I'll be really honest, in my opinion this feels a whole lot more like a turned flush given the read info you supply, rather than a better boat...

Still, if you are EVER folding a FH when you make it, this is probably the spot: "chasing" 30-some cents with a $5 call is going to be pretty pricey to you if you lose. THIS is why it is such a dicey spot...

To risk $4.84 to win $5.31, you have to be "right" about 48% of the time. I'm not QUITE sure your boat will be good that often, but I also believe it would be good pretty close to that. I still think if you are not sure, yes you can fold.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old
Sun Feb 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
(#5)
Thanks for the time and the input JD.

Normally a snap call, but that guy is a weird one with hands like that.
Thanks again

FH

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:56 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
For me it is a fold though he must have had 66, 56, or most probably a flush, plus there is a straight too but shoving when in the pot there is nearly nothing is nuts. If he was a LAG I would think to call hoping....

Etienne

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
(#7)
Since: May 2011
With no additional reads or stats, I'd probably call here. More often than not, these guys will show up with the nut flush, worse boats, or even straights or air. Sure, we could definitely be beat here, but I think we're ahead often enough to make a call profitable.

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 12:54 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
If he's actually only shoving with flushes and boats this is a fold. If he may not even shove with a flush then it's really a fold.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 12:57 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feskprins View Post
More often than not, these guys will show up with the nut flush, worse boats, or even straights or air.
There are no worse boats or straights in his range. Look at the info given on the villain.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
(#10)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
There are no worse boats or straights in his range. Look at the info given on the villain.
Oops, I was really tired when I made that post and missed the reads on him. ....

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com