Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

BR Management Question

Old
BR Management Question - Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
So I read about needing to have 20-40 buy ins for SNGs depending from where you read. Now...how does multitabling effect this? Eg. Ive got a $430br, and im 5 tabling 3.50 9man SNGs. what stage can i move up?

Chris

Old
Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Chris!

Multitabling really wont' affect it. It just means that you're going to play them quicker.

It's a personal preference for me, but I try to have a larger number of buy-ins for s&g's as I've seen some bad variance runs in them (not quite as bad as an mtt, but similar). I try to use 75-100 buy-in's for them.

With your bankroll, you're well over 100 buy-in's, so the $3.50's fit well into good bankroll management. As to what your bankroll would be to move up, it depends on the level. Make sure that you're making a profit at the current games and have enough buy-ins for the next level that you want to play.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 09, 2012, 12:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolbuly View Post
So I read about needing to have 20-40 buy ins for SNGs depending from where you read. Now...how does multitabling effect this? Eg. Ive got a $430br, and im 5 tabling 3.50 9man SNGs. what stage can i move up?

Chris
Hi Skoolbully...

To my way of thinking, the decision to move up is a BR issue not just in terms of "do I have enough money to afford swings", but also a question of "can I adjust to a different player skill level before it costs me TOO MUCH".

If you check out the "Cowboy Challenge" section, you will see a somewhat "artificial" guage of SNG performance. The challenge essentially takes a SMALL theoretical part of a BR, and tests whether you can play 100 games on 25BI.

(Please note, I am NOT "slamming" the challenge by saying this, merely noting that without a reasonable explanation it really has no "sense" to testing a small part of a total BR on an individual game type.)

The IDEAL "use" of this challenge tho DOES exist...

The Cowboy Challenge is a GREAT way to "test" yourself against a higher level of competition. Consider...

A lot of people jump up in levels too fast, simply because they have reached some "magical" number of buy in's. Instead of doing that jump when you've hit 20 or 40 or 100BI (or whatever you are comfortable with), I suggest this:

Get your 40BI for your new level.
STAY at your old one, the one you know you can beat, until you get an extra 10BI or so for the new level.

Take that 10BI to the NEW level, and test whether you can run off 50 games without going bust.
This is quite like the cowboy Challenge that tests your ability to run 25BI across 100 games, only it takes a bit less time at your lower level to get 10.

If you "succeed" in your challenge, you are probably perfectly ready to move to the new level full time, with the BR amount needed to KEEP you there.

If you FAIL at your "challenge", then stay at your old level, study some more, get another 10BI to try a 2nd challenge...when you DO succeed at your personal "challenge", you will probably find that your experience with differently skilled players results in you STAYING at your new level longer, and much more profitably.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:36 AM
(#4)
The next level Im looking to move up to are 7$ sngs, so il take your advice and grind it up to $700 for a few weeks.

Old
Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:39 AM
(#5)
yeah good point. il bring it on board. thx

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com