Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AK lost in $1 x 45 player SNG

Old
AK lost in $1 x 45 player SNG - Thu Feb 09, 2012, 08:26 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

After TheLangolier great live training on AK play I had a couple of of AK hand history emails to look at.

1) Bet sizing was 3x plus 2 for the limpers from the cut off - one caller - then a shove which I called. Only the second hand of the tournament should I have folded?

The villain had just shoved 1500 over a min raise and two callers in the first hand.

2) From the BB I had been raised 4x and then min 3-bet the villain 4-bet and I shoved. Here I think I am ahead. One for pokerstove (just downloaded it).

Don't have any table info' just my situation 12 BB behind facing a raise from a small to medium stack.

Thanks

Old
Thu Feb 09, 2012, 09:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Here's my two cents.

Hand 1
It is very early in the tourney and you have only invested a small percentage of your stack - 100 chips. You can afford to fold. Secondly, you have no reads on the villian. Thirdly, his line looks like a medium pocket pair, meaning you are slightly behind. Lastly, and most importantly, you are the one calling, not shoving. So, no fold equity. It looks like a coin toss if you choose to call. If this is regular speed, I'm folding and waiting for a better situation. If it's a turbo, I might call, but probably folding more often than not.

Hand 2
This hand differs from the previous hand in two important ways. Firstly, the blinds are higher and there's a significant amount of chips in the pot when the action gets to you. Secondly, you have the opportunity to be the one shoving and gaining fold equity. I think you would have been better shoving rather than minraising in this spot. I would have shoved here 100% of the time.

Let's here what the experts say...

GL

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:48 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ForrestFive!

In the first hand, there here are the key points, that in my eyes would lead to a fold. I absolutely would make the inital raise to 100 here and would do that everytime. UTG limp/calls our raise, then a mid position limp/shoves. With UTG limp/calling and still to act after us, they should have some type of playable hand, either speculative or a slowplayed monster.
AK, while it's a hand with great potential, isn't a made hand yet and also plays much better against one hand (possible flip) than it does in a 3-way pot (approx 31% equity against a top 10% hand and a top 5% hand).
Without having a read on the players, especially one where at least one of the opps would have a wide shove/calling a shove range, I'm going to fold here and look for a better situation where I knew that I was ahead or at least could be heads-up against one opp in a coin-flip, as a 1400 chip stack at this level is still very playable.

In the second hand, I start with a 1338 stack before any action. The opp from mid position raises to 400. Since 400 is very close to being 1/3 of my stack, which is the commitment point, I'm now looking at this as a shove/fold situation.
If I raise any less than shoving (like to 700), then I'm putting in well over 1/2 my chips and giving the opp a chance to see if they hit the flop before committing to call for the rest of my chips. With the blinds at 100/200, if I raised to 700 and folded, I would only have 3.5BB left... not a good option. If I shove the flop, then I just let the opp see if they hit a part of the board... not a great option either. Luckily the opp re-raised so that all the chips went in preflop.

I would shove in this situation. I want to be able to maximize my fold equity (if the opp folds, then I add 44% to my stack without a fight) and to make the opp pay to see if they would hit any part of the flop. Plus, unlike in the first hand, I would not be in a multi-way pot.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Thanks guys,

Hand 1

Yes I should have folded.

JWK24 good point I should be wary of the UTG limp / caller and give them credit for something.
Roland GTX it was a 10min blind structure not 5min turbo and yes no fold equity being the caller I should think of this.

I should have settled down and observe the table more as it was only the second hand. Probably a bit annoyed about the first hand with the villain shove thinking I should stop a bully.

Hand 2

Yes 3-bet shove this time.

JWK24 and Roland GTX I see what you are saying. Yes was I involved or committed? 10% / 33% of my stack (managed finally to download a full training video about commitment - eggs / bacon).

So a shove not a min 3-bet giving me the fold equity with my stack size. KQs is probably calling anyway.

Thanks for your reviews.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com