Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Tournament results

Old
Tournament results - Thu Feb 09, 2012, 08:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Hi there,

What is considered to be statistically relevant when trying to assess results in your tournament play? I only play recreationally completing 10 tourneys a week, which equates to a total of 250 tourneys for the past 6 months.

I basically play exclusively in $3.50 18 player SNG’s. I made a $50 deposit about 6 months ago and within the first month it had spiked to $120. Since that time it has been as high as $130 and as low as $80, but typically ranging between $90-110. however, in the past month it has dipped below $50 on 2 occasions in part due to deviation from my bankroll management of 20 x buy ins to play at a given level. I have continued to play at the $3.50 level despite my BR dipping below $70. Current BR is $75

It will obviously be difficult for people to comment as my skill level is unknown (lets assume relatively low) or style of play (reasonably tight). I have read Harrington Vol 1 and am halfway through Vol 2, but feel the more I learn the worse my results have become.

Is it likely I was pretty lucky in the first month and the results of the past month are a more accurate reflection of my abilities?
Is 250 tourneys enough data to reach any conclusions?

Cheers

FB

Old
Thu Feb 09, 2012, 08:52 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Your outcome is exactly what I experienced at the 18mans,I enjoy playing these as well.
Funny thing is if your rolled the $15s play a lot like the $3.50s,for some reason I struggled at the $7s go figure.

Did you see a lot of the same names at your tables when you played? I found after a bit the regs where calling me really light and recognized how I was passive early on in the blinds.
So you have to adapt and keep them guessing if this is the issue.

These really are not hard to play,the problem is variance and making it less of a issue by recognizing spots not to push and fold in. What I did was I wrote down the average stack size and remaining players for each blind level for ten games to give my self a rough reference point for where I need to be active. This might help you out as it helped me a bit,knowing certain blind levels are more active than others you can get active the blind before to compensate.

Request your hand histories and go over the hands and see if you can find why a play didnt work out. Lot of things you can do,but I wouldnt look to much into losing a bit after being up.

After 1k in these you should have a pretty good read at where you are skill wise.

Old
Sun Feb 12, 2012, 02:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
Thanks Cookies.

I recognise the odd player, but I don't think that is the issue. I played my first $7 tourney the other day when tilted and finished second, playing super tight. Went back to the $3.50 and won the next tourney I entered, so maybe it was as simple as tightening my play.

I trialled a free version of poker office for hand history information, but was overwhelmed by the avalanche of info it provided.

Seems my BR management of 20 BI's might be a little light based on some articles I have read since my initial post. Any thoughts?

Cheers

FB

Old
Sun Feb 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Frickabomber!

Normally for S&G's, I try to use 75-100 buy-ins, but that considers that I'm more on the conservative side with my bankroll and also that I'm playing 45-90 man tourneys.

For 18 mans (which I haven't played), I'd think that I should be able to lower it some, but 20BI sounds a bit low to me. For those, I'd try to be in the 50-60BI range. I'd want to have enough of a bankroll to be able to cover a variance run, and I've seen plenty of 15-20 tourney runs in the past.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Not very good , but dont understand this thing yet - Sat Feb 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
BronzeStar
Ok

So I'm playing this poker school and I'm not very good a poker, I know what I should do and when i should do it, though I have not read any books( maybe I should pick up poker for dummies) but I have this level thing on my profile and there is a green chip with 20 + on it. Does anyone know what that means?

Thanks

Old
Sat Feb 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluke613 View Post
Ok

So I'm playing this poker school and I'm not very good a poker, I know what I should do and when i should do it, though I have not read any books( maybe I should pick up poker for dummies) but I have this level thing on my profile and there is a green chip with 20 + on it. Does anyone know what that means?

Thanks
Hi there Fluke,

Welcome to the forum!

It's your VIP Player Points level at Pokerstars Check this out for more details:

Best of luck at the tables and good to see you here!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 05:55 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com