Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

You choose the ACTION; Interim Decision #1.

View Poll Results: What do we do in the time between hands?
A) Rack up our chips, and go see if Sophie can get us in a $1/$2 game? 0 0%
B) Stay in our current seat, with our current stack, and see if we can recover our losses? 1 8.33%
C) Stay in our current seat, but top off our stack with $175 from our pocket to give us max ammo? 4 33.33%
D) Take the Seat Change to seat 3, and play without topping up our stack ($324 in our stack now)? 1 8.33%
E) Take the Seat Change to seat 3, and top up our stack to $500 so we can crush souls? 5 41.67%
F) BLANKS, again, this is for my use so I can track voting. Please do not select this. 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old
You choose the ACTION; Interim Decision #1. - Fri Feb 10, 2012, 02:29 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Interim Decision #1

Well, we just took a stack hit on the first hand we got involved with on our first time stepping up in levels; what do we do now?

Is this table good enough for us to stay at?

Do we think we can re-coup this loss agaisnt these opponents?

What kind of adjustments should we make in our thinking to make staying at this table profitable?

Are we steaming or tilting after we just "let" a weak palyer get pretty deeply into our stack?

What we know at this point is:

A) The Dentist is a big winner right now, and is acting quite happy aobut that. We have nothing to go on that would suggest he is any better than what we remember from our time playing agaisnt him at the $1/$2 table, so it would be great to see someone lay a "beat" on him, as that may well get the sparks to start flying.

B) We see the opponents on our immediate right, Mid 30's guy and Grandma, as a bit Loose/Passive pre flop.
- The Kid in seat 6 is playing pretty loose, and is probably steaming a bit trying to chase his losses.
- The Mid 20's woman in seat 5 seems to be a bit loose, but she also exhibits some aggression at times, and will fold at times; we are not really certain about her overall range and paly ability yet, as she could either be opportunistic, and playing a lot to get involved with the "weakeys" at the table, or she could just be loose pre flop and somewhat ABC based on her hand strength.
- Reg 2 in Seat 4 is a bit of an enigma too; we remember him as a pretty decent TAG player, but he seems to be a touch frustrated right now. Will he become more-so and begin to spew a bit? Is it an act? We just are not sure yet...
- After our last hand finishes, mid 50-'s guy in seat 3 picks up his chips, and says to the table, "Well folks, gotta run. The Missus tells me I have to take her out to dinner tonight!" We did grab a seat change button when we sat, do we want this seat change?
- Reg 1 is as we expected, a pretty decent TAG player. He is up cash, and is looking pretty comfortable. We do realize he could be a force at the table.
- And then we have our friend, the Dentist, in Seat 1. I think we all remember enough aobut him that we do not have to go over it again, right?

So here is our interim Decsion that we have to make. Do we:

(Please remember, if we take a seat change, we will have to immediately post the BB again, after we have just finished paying our blinds. If we do not immediately take the seat change, anyone else at the table may elect to take it the hand after us, and we must give up our seat change button.)

A) Rack up our chips, and go see if sophie can get us in a $1/$2 game?
B) Stay in our current seat, with our current stack, and see if we can recover our losses?
C) Stay in our current seat, but top off our stack with $175 from our pocket to give us max ammo?
D) Take the Seat Change to seat 3, and play without topping up our stack ($324 in our stack now)?
E) Take the Seat Change to seat 3, and top up our stack to $500 so we can crush souls?

Please post why you vote as you do, so we can discuss this decision that can be pretty important in live play.

Thanks!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 02:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
e !!!!!!

i think the most important factor is reversing the positional disadvantage in our favour with regards to our personal atm, the dentist.

everything else is insignificant.

Last edited by Django66; Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 03:09 AM..

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 02:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I"m staying and topping off.

I would not want the seat change to seat 3 and have an enigma on my left. I want the player in the position that can put the most pressure on me to be able to be read like an open book... like the dentist currently is. I've seen his bluff and monster so have a decent grip on how he's playing.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 03:19 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django66 View Post
e !!!!!!

i think the most important factor is reversing the positional disadvantage in our favour with regards to our personal atm, the dentist.

everything else is insignificant.

we also gain position on solid reg1, reg 2 we can steal from and he might be tilting off some of his stack, seat 3 is a good one, imo.

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:27 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2011
solid ..4 sure no.1 I,m topping and moving in a live game for several reasons...!~IMO
1 In a live game a change throws perception of play off ...a lot of people have trouble with this.
2 It's putting a known abc player behind me but I have a read I just have to adjust.
3 it puts me in a position to exploit all the dentists middle play as I think I have a read now and he's gonna bloat the pot 4 me.
4 all poker players ...ooo kkk(*think Jim Moriarty on the new bbc sherlock) 99.99999999repeating percent of poker players are superstitious..or at least the ones you want at you're table are lol so a seat change can psychologically mean luck change it s like you're a new player.... time to tighten up the range and forget the last hand ....let the dentist make you some coin back!

only my opinion tho

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:48 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
i voted stay in my seat but not to top my stack up,my reason for this i might be completely out of my league so would not want to jepodise losing any more money than i all ready have on the table.
with my extra money in my pocket i could drop back down a level and regroup, and with loose players at the table could easily double up my remaining stack.

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 06:16 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
I would stick with the same seat but I would top off our stack. We know the dynamics of the table and our position on the table is going to provide us tons of opportunities to exploit loose/weak players to our right. The only real threat and the positional disadvantage we have is against the reg 1 who is playing very tight which we can exploit to our advantage and adjust accordingly if he is involved in a hand.

As the table is playing loose we just need to tighten up our range and we will have tons of opportunities to pick small pots against loose/weak opps and there is always a possibility to play a big pot with the dentist as he is willing to do so. I would try to find opportunities to trap the dentist as I think he is the perfect opp for that play.

Cheers

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 06:51 AM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2011
C.
Top off and keep the button. Play it cool.

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
(#9)
i can't believe folks are passing the chance of superior position just for the blinds ?

or don't you think seat 3 is superior to seat 9 ?

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2010
I'm switching to seat 3, a preferable position on the player I most want to be involved with. I am also cheerily topping up my stack - mostly to have the goods for maximum value when we hit a very strong hand, partly just to give the impression to the table we might be an over-rolled fish willing to keep putting our cash on the table when we lose.

Look forward to the next hand.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Well this is real easy for me, I'm topping off and changing seats. I said way back at the very beginning of this exercise I would sit in the 2-5 game and request the seat change button so if a seat opens to the whale's left I can take it and gain position on him. Money tends to flow clockwise around the table, we want to be on the whale's left folks.... I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want position on this guy. It will be so much easier to exploit him with the positional advantage.

Also, I am not moving this hand and taking the BB, I will lock up seat 3 and move after the button passes. We can do this without having to post, since we'll only be moving 2 spots away from the blind (3 or more spots and we would have to post). So I will take 2 more hands here, then move.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
(#12)
Since: Feb 2011
i want this guy on my right and seat three will give us position on him almost always. so i'll top up and move. seeing the other side of this dudes face would be cool. let him pop my luck bubble from OOP ...

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:49 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
PLEASE NOTE:

Dave is right, it is somewhat "artificial" to say you must post the blinds again.

Usually the rule allows you to lock up the seat change, and allow the blinds to pass you, and enter when the button passes you.

This is true because you only need to post blinds when you move 3 or more seats AWAY from the blinds usually. This rule is in place to prevent people from arbitrarily taking seat changes to avoid paying blinds. Example:

Let's say we were in seat 4 instead of seat 9.

If we were to move to seat 3, and allow the button to pass us, we would be forced to post blinds even if the button passes us before we take a hand, because "waiting" for them to pass us would move us more than 3 seats "away" from our next BB.

Since we are in seat 9 here, and are moving from the BTN to UTG, we are allowed to wait for the blinds to pass us, and resume playing from the cut off seat once the button passes seat 3.

We are essentially in the exact spot in relation to the NEXT BB we would have to pay as we would be if we choose to stay in our current seat, so we do not have to post.

See?

I am sorry if this causes confusion for anyone, but as the voting is now in favor of a move anyway, it really does not change things.

If this information changes your opinion on whether we should switch seats, please feel free to psot that on the thread, and I will manually adjust the count. As of now though, when I tally the numbers in about 2 hours, it looks like were ARE moving to seat 3 anyway...

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
(#14)
Since: Feb 2011
then for sure wait, then move
we'll get to be cut off, highjack, then cutoff again?...i like it

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 11:01 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
OK Folks...time for results!

We elect to move to Seat 3, and to top up our stack to $500.

We grab a rack, and set it down in front of our new seat. We then have a severe urge to use the rest room, and leave the table to answer the "call of nature", knowing that it will probably be 5 or 10 minutes until we get a hand any way.

Time to move on to the next hand...

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 11:46 PM
(#16)
Since: Sep 2011
I clicked to move and not top up but I meant to click move and top up. I want position on this guy and I want the stack to maximise value. I don't know about anyone else but this seems like a pretty easy decision.

I also agree with Dave and will lock up the seat and move after the blinds (didn't know about this, learn something everyday )

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com