Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$2.20 MTT 10K GTD 8,8 in BB w/ 2 Limpers

Old
$2.20 MTT 10K GTD 8,8 in BB w/ 2 Limpers - Fri Feb 10, 2012, 09:53 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi! guys, we are already in the money and play is down to about 115 players. Both opps have been very active.

The read on the opps is such that if UTG limper had any decent PP/Big Ace he would have raised it which he had been doing previously. I think both players either have a weak ace or picture cards looking for a cheap flop.

What is the right play in this spot? Given that we don't have much fold equity, shall we just see the flop and play fit n fold or its time to take a stand with 8's?

Cheers.

Last edited by deadeyz; Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: amend

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Nom nom nom look at all them chips in the middle! This is a very easy +ev shove. With two active limpers and over 30k in the middle to be won we are shoving our 8's here every time.

It will cost the limpers 10.5 bb's to call your shove so you do still have a reasonable amount of fold equity. If your called you are ahead a large percentage of the time. If you get folds you have increased your chipstack by 50%ish.

I hope you shoved regardless of the outcome. GL!

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 02:39 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewMe1 View Post
Nom nom nom look at all them chips in the middle! This is a very easy +ev shove. With two active limpers and over 30k in the middle to be won we are shoving our 8's here every time.

It will cost the limpers 10.5 bb's to call your shove so you do still have a reasonable amount of fold equity. If your called you are ahead a large percentage of the time. If you get folds you have increased your chipstack by 50%ish.

I hope you shoved regardless of the outcome. GL!
+1, we should have plenty of fold equity with this stack and 88 plays just fine against their limp/calling range if we do get called as they will almost never have a bigger pair, but we will get called by 2 overs and underpairs mostly. This is actually a stellar spot to shove.

Checking our option and seeing the flop is no good, because we won't be able to contest this pot on many board textures and we are giving them a free flop to pull ahead of us. Not to mention we simply can not pass up such a +EV spot if we expect to be winning tournaments.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi! guys, Thanks for your time and comments. I totally agree with you that we can't pass up such a +EV spot as more often than not we have the best hand pre-flop given the reads we have on the opps. I felt that mathematically shove was the right play and in the end I did shove, however I didn't work out in our favour. I am fine with the decision as that was the right play.

I would like to raise a point for discussion though. When the opps limped and it was my turn to act, to be honest I was double minded when it was my turn to act. Mathematically and logically shoving was the right play but my gut feeling was telling me otherwise.

So does it makes sense to trust/listen to your gut feelings? We know we are ahead and the right play is to shove in that spot but it might not work out.

Any comments guys??

Cheers

Last edited by deadeyz; Sat Feb 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: amend

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
correct is the long term view any given hand you can go with your gut and be right but how do you guage that?with atc yep i definitely do at times with real hands not so much.
gl y all

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com