I got the dead man's hand.

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Cairn!

Technically it needs to be the Q of spades... but either way... you won the hand and got your chips in good, that's what matters.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
According to historical accounts, the fifth card was never determined. There are several cards that have the "distinction" of being the last card. So technically, the dead man's hand is the only poker hand that is defined by four cards. At least that's what my research has shown.

I'm still in the game. Talk about being cursed. I've had pocket jacks three times and have won them all. One KO'ed an ATC luckmaster, another got me nothing more than the blinds, and the third killed a player who considered himself a poker pro. Am now on the final table in my usual spot - number 9 of 9.

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 09:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
can someone explain this please.. haha I'm a bit lost..

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man%27s_hand
"The dead man's hand is a two-pair poker hand, namely "aces and eights". This card combination gets its name from a legend that it was the five-card-draw hand held by Wild Bill Hickok, when he was murdered on August 2, 1876, in Saloon No. 10 at Deadwood, South Dakota.

According to the popular version, Hickok's final hand included the aces and eights of both black suits. As Hickok's biographer, Joseph Rosa puts it: the "accepted version is that the cards were the ace of spades, the ace of clubs, two black eights (clubs and spades), and the queen of clubs as the "kicker".[1] However, Rosa says no contemporary source for this exact hand can be found. The earliest detailed reference to the "dead man's hand" is 1886, where it was described as a "full house consisting of three jacks and a pair of tens."[2]

In accounts that mention two aces and eights, there are various claims regarding the identity of Hickok's fifth card, suggestions that he had discarded one card and/or that the draw was curtailed by the shooting and Hickok therefore never received his fifth card."

Last edited by 0HighTimes0; Sat Feb 11, 2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
cheers..

Old
Sat Feb 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Game just ended and I came in third. On a fun note, a player from France accused me of cheating when I went from 9th to third in three hands, eliminating players nine and eight. Funniest part was translating his tirade. Thank goodness one player was from Quebec could translate his accusations.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com