Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

pso open skill league

Old
pso open skill league - Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
ok its very early about 5 hands in so no information on players as yet, but lets face it , it is what it is

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

what do you do? i know its early and survival is the key factor,but did i really play this wrong or just unlucky?

Old
Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
When I played the open league, I would only go all in with AA or KK, or maybe QQ in some situations. In your situation, I would have made a smaller raise pre and try to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. AK is a strong hand, but can be outdrawn.

In the early stages of these tourneys peeps will go all in with almost anything, and raising just seems to encourage them. If you're playing for the prize money this is a valid strategy, they either chip up early or they go on to the next freeroll. They don't care about negative points, only the money they can win.

Patience is the key here, wait till you have some reads before getting involved. It's hard to fold strong hands, but the risk just isn't worth it if your goal is to gain positive points.

Hope this helps.

Old
Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi milehigh, your preflop raise was a bit extreme for any format to be honest, as joy said a smaller raise would of been better and try get through to the river cheaply.
However, with this been the open league and your playing for the points I think, I would of not raised and let the flop go 9 way if it must, then reevaluate on the flop. I may of even snap folded preflop, my reason 5 hands into the game, in this particular format there really is no point trying to play when the blinds are so low, and well, you will always get called from these players, who do not belong or deserve to try for the league, they only want the small prize because yes its actually one of the only completely free freerolls with no fpps required.
I did a similar mistake the other day in one, AK utg, so shoved looking for the +ev, the entire table called my all in grrrr lol, if you want to progress mate in the open league pm me and I will give you a top tip , I do not want to share to much if you no what i mean lol, but will happily tell you in pm.
Hope this helps mate.

Old
Mon Feb 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Milehigh,

I think joy & holdemace have given excellent advice here for the Open League.

In terms of how you have played it. I agree the initial raise is a too large. Too small and they all call which is also horrible but maybe something like 300 still achieves the same thing (thinning the field). Then if they come over the top and you're facing 2-3 allins you can just fold and avoid the chance of early exit. You actually got a pretty good result in only having 2 players still in the hand. But after the 3b to 1000 we can almost be certain we will be allin preflop. This early in the Open League without AA I think thats a no-no. So I'd probably just fold here and scream something

Personally this early in an Open League game I would call the see the flop and probably only continue with 2 pair or better (and no 3rd broadway card). The reason the league plays this way, other than the freerollers, is that chips do not equal points. It is all about survival.

Good luck in the league
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar010 View Post
Personally this early in an Open League game I would call, see the flop and probably only continue with 2 pair or better (and no 3rd broadway card). The reason the league plays this way, other than the freerollers, is that chips do not equal points. It is all about survival.
Hey everyone!

I agree with this 100%. I'd call and see what happens on the flop. League games are about surviving and earning points, so I do not want to be risking my chips early in a tourney without a made hand... and AK, while it does have great potential, is still only ace high.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com