Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL QQ vs unknown opponent

Old
10NL QQ vs unknown opponent - Wed Feb 15, 2012, 04:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
Hi all Here's an interesting hand I encountered at 10NL, tough spot on the river

It was the villains first hand at the table. Something didn't feel right calling the strong river bet, so I went with my instinct and folded... Spots similar to this is where I leak the most in my game, calling off river bets with decent hands even though I can easily be beat... The plug to fix the leak is getting better overall . Any opinions of what to do on the river would be greatly appreciated (or even a different way to play it until the river )

Last edited by 94Tofer; Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hi 94Tofer,

Sorry for my eager first post, I misread the board. Now here's my analysis:

I think you played the hand fine and arguments for both folding and calling the river can be made. Villain's strong betsizing can indicate a strong range and he can be valuebetting a lot of boats plus the nutflush.

However, since the turn was checked through he could be valuebetting the , some smaller diamonds or even be turning some hands into a bluff because of boardtexture. I think the likelyhood of someone bluffing river on scary boards like a 4-flush and especially after a turn gets checked through increases in general.

That being said I actually would not mind a turnbet for some value from weaker made hands and draws plus as some sort of semibluff/protective bet.

Betting turn would serve two purposes here:

1. Value: OTT villain's x'ing-range will probably not contain a lot of flushes and mostly be comprised of a lot of pair+draw type hands which will often call a turnbet.

2. Semibluff: Some parts of villain's range can be some scared two pair or sets which wont raise you on such a scary turn. Against those hands you can bet as a semibluff cause a lot of rivers may improve us against that part of villain's range.

Either way betting maintains initiative and would allow us to checkback river when villain x/c's turn and x's river to us. That way we make some extra $ OTT while protecting us from getting bluffed. If villain x/r turn we have a pretty easy fold cause his range will be flushes far too often.

- Felix

Live Trainer

Last edited by PSO-xflixx; Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: misread the board

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Villain's betting line is 100% consistent with a full house by the river. Not saying there is 100% chance that is what he holds, because there isn't, but it is very likely.

Some great insight by Felix on playing the turn!

Old
Thu Feb 16, 2012, 04:56 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
Thanks a lot for that Felix!! Some great stuff to think about Thinking about it now I was probably over paranoid about leaking chips on river bets when I could easily be beat... Betting the turn would definitely be the best play - if he check-raises its an easy fold, and also he will usually check the river to me so that I can check behind if needed. And also bluffs are definitely in his range on that river bet too

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com