Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

multitabling

Old
Default
multitabling - Wed Feb 15, 2012, 02:35 PM
(#1)
marjoryaaa's Avatar
Since: Mar 2010
Posts: 65
looking for thoughts and views on multitabling? All of the good and bad stories of your multitablings.
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
(#2)
becar1989's Avatar
Since: Dec 2011
Posts: 19
Hy!
When I'm starting to play it was hard to multitabling. When go to higher level of play i start with 1-2 table and so one. With the time you can play a lot of table(on 2NL im on aproximately 13 tables). If you dont have HUD or program to give you some information on your opp its very difficult to know what type of player you are against especially when you must decide how to play your hand in many different situations. If you are good at 1-2 table try add some more table and see how the things going. With multitabling you must make quick decion and never go relax. Its easiest to play with some starting hand charts.

Hope it make some help!
 
Old
Default
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 04:00 AM
(#3)
Feskprins's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 450
I personally play 12 tables if it's full ring, but I recently moved to 6-max two days ago or something and I limit myself to only four tables to begin with. If you're comfortable on one table, you should definitely consider adding another one. It could be rather stressful when you start out, but you'll definitely get used to it. The more tables you have, the more valuable a HUD becomes, so if you intend to play on something like 7+ tables, I recommend Pokertracker or Holdem Manager. It's not mandatory, but it helps.

Adding more tables should increase your hourly winrate as long as you're making the right decisions. Never sacrifice winrate for more tables, although most people would be able to reach 9+ tables with some practice without sacrificing winrate.

.....
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
(#4)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
Hi m8t, the others are correct in saying multi table without a HUD is almost impossible, I have tried several occasions as a none HUD user and well I loose, but I must say you can multi-play tourney poker easier than cash nlhe. Most tourneys I like to play Tag , this is not to difficult compared to the cash structure.
Playing one game at a time and observing the table at cash nlhe is the way to play, I feel people get force security in using HUD and possible false stats.
Its really a decision to make on what sort of poker you wish to play. Whether you want to join the list of playing poker based on software,a bit bot like, or whether you feel like you want to play,bringing a bit of game to the table.
Hope this helps.
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
(#5)
Feskprins's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 450
I think you have the wrong idea of how to use a HUD, and playing one table is not "the way to play". What the HUD does is to provide you with information on how often someone takes a certain action, and you can use that information to make better decisions. Also, the stats don't lie.

I used to play 4-6 tables without a HUD and did so with profit so it's definitely not impossible. Need I remind you that a vast majority of players do not use a HUD. The reason you're losing when you're multitabling is simply because you're not good enough. Your way is not the only (nor necessarily the best) way. ....
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
(#6)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feskprins View Post
I think you have the wrong idea of how to use a HUD, and playing one table is not "the way to play". What the HUD does is to provide you with information on how often someone takes a certain action, and you can use that information to make better decisions. Also, the stats don't lie.

I used to play 4-6 tables without a HUD and did so with profit so it's definitely not impossible. Need I remind you that a vast majority of players do not use a HUD. The reason you're losing when you're multitabling is simply because you're not good enough. Your way is not the only (nor necessarily the best) way. ....
Hello again, I will just explain something to you how I see the use of huds. You may have stats on a opp who one day was just on a tilt for example,the software says he/she is an elephant for example.
On this particular day he/she is playing on top form., without watching the table it would be hard to see this surely?. I know you have vpip on any given day etc, but what if that players style is loose?. You can loose your stack quite easily on nlhe cash tables for that reason.
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:02 PM
(#7)
Feskprins's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
Hello again, I will just explain something to you how I see the use of huds. You may have stats on a opp who one day was just on a tilt for example,the software says he/she is an elephant for example.
On this particular day he/she is playing on top form., without watching the table it would be hard to see this surely?. I know you have vpip on any given day etc, but what if that players style is loose?. You can loose your stack quite easily on nlhe cash tables for that reason.
I see your point, but again, I think you've misunderstood how a HUD works. You can't just play based on numbers. You're still gathering reads and other information a HUD can't pick up by paying attention. Furthermore, it's usually very easy to pick up if a player is on tilt (again something a HUD can't show) and I'd exploit that player to death, and also take a note that he's capable of tilting and how he's doing it. If a player is on tilt, you're probably not going to see many hands before he leaves the table so that doesn't impact the stats, and if it does, the sample size isn't enough to profile him anyways. ....
 
Old
Default
Info multitabling - Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
(#8)
DeCollie's Avatar
Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Maybe this link is interesting;
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/96...ke-pro-199155/

Hope it is usefull .

Last edited by DeCollie; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:09 PM
(#9)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
Im Impessed mate, My observation on more than one table faulters. Did not realise you actually watch and observe as well. I bet there is a lot of players who do not observe though mate think I have seen a few of late
Either way thanks feskprins some usefull advice to know, and im sure the original poster as a lot to think about.
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
(#10)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,783
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCollie View Post
Maby this link is interesting;
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/96...ke-pro-199155/

Hope it is usefull .
Hi DeCollie!

Welcome to the forum.
Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner



Last edited by JWK24; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 05:35 PM..
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
(#11)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCollie View Post
Maby this link is interesting;
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/96...ke-pro-199155/

Hope it is usefull .
Hi decollie,welcome to the forum. Great link there mate, however think it may be removed by the mods,think that may be classed as spam ,but thank you all the same was interesting reading.
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
(#12)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,783
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
Hi decollie,welcome to the forum. Great link there mate, however think it may be removed by the mods,think that may be classed as spam ,but thank you all the same was interesting reading.
Hey Holdemace!

Links to 2+2 topics are ok.

John (JWK24)


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:34 PM
(#13)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hey Holdemace!

Links to 2+2 topics are ok.

John (JWK24)
Thanks JW did not know, sorry mate your link the business lol.
 
Old
Default
Multitabling - Wed Feb 22, 2012, 07:24 PM
(#14)
froggy178's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
BronzeStar
Multitabling is good for people who can think quickyl have extremely high attention spans and have extreme patience, if your after some basic ideas for multitabling check my blog
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
(#15)
ketchup143's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 279
BronzeStar
i've multi-tabled 3 tables effectively--that seems to be my max. i don't use a hud or anything as i am still fairly new to real money games (just started last summer). i might start using one soon, but from what i've seen on online videos of pros who use them, its just a bunch of data spread all over the place that i'm probably not going to use much of. i take a ton of notes, though--thats how i keep track of what's going on. i find notes are more effective than raw data, especially in the heat of battle, b/c everytime something really funky happens, u can note it and then u can pretty well generalize what somebody is gonna do in a certain situation. it only takes about 5 or 6 notes max per player to have a good idea. yeah i know it seems like a lot, but i can type pretty fast, and it helps me. one problem i've had while multitabling is putting the wrong bet out since i like to type my bets in manuaully when they're not quite a whole blind (like raising to 17 cents at a 5 nl table). if i were to play more than 6 tables in the future, i would definitely set it so that the slider bar hits every "cent" (like, for instance, 34, 35, 36 instead of 30, 35, 40, etc.). the reason im not doing this now is because i don't want to have to move the slide bar to the exact amount when i can just as easily type it in. also, i like to just click 5 or 6 times instead of 35 times (if i don't use the slide bar and decide to just push the plus button to raise the bet size). i imagine im in the minority with all this and it probably makes me seem like an old man. im not
 
Old
Default
multi tabling - Fri Feb 24, 2012, 05:43 AM
(#16)
marjoryaaa's Avatar
Since: Mar 2010
Posts: 65
thanks guys some good points to ponder and work on
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com