Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Clock

Old
Clock - Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Currently playing a .25 45-man SNG.
I have royalraise85 on my left :)
(and I just donked out as opponent rivered str8 on my overpair :)

I notice he plays mostly fast.
Now, in 45-mans, as we start off with only 5 tables, I tend to play a bit slow.
The reasoning being, let the other tables play fast, mortality is pretty high in these, etc.

I don't run the clock big time, just play at a reasonable pace... and I do tend to get a bit annoyed when quite a few people at the table play really fast.

Now, since rr is a mod here, he obviously has experience and his stats are good... I'm asking him, and everyone else, advantages and disadvantages of playing fast, especially in 5-table tourneys?

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
No advantage imo, I try make it to blind level 100/200 this is were they tighten up you steal the blinds.

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
That opponent does play fast but also makes some very bad decisions. I'd definitely label him as LAG.

His decision to call you there was terrible in my opinion and I wouldn't worry bout' the suckout.

If I'm confident that I'm well ahead I'll usually try to get the chips in good and fast, otherwise I'll take my time making a decision without giving away any time tells.

Usually I'll try to make the clock work to my advantage depending on tournament structure etc, if you can make the clock work for you go for it.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I try to play quicker earlier and then slow down some toward the bubble. This way I can see more hands when the blinds are lower, giving me a better chance to get a better hand and gain some chips before the blinds go up and the antes kick in.
With all the stations, maniacs, etc still in... I want as many hands as I can, to try and get a hand to take thier chips.

Now, where I will play slower or even use clock is especially at the bubble. If I can get enough time in to make the blinds go up on a short stack, where they may have been able to sneak in for the current level if I played faster.. then I'll make sure they pay the extra in blinds.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
(#5)
Oh he definitely was a Bingo Boy. Suckouts will happen, no (big) problem, especially since it's .25s.
What I noticed though, is that you (rr) were playing rather (consistently) fast.
I will play fast in spots, to make it a tell, but generally, i tend to slow it down a bit. Just a bit, mind you, almost never time-bank, play the same medium-slow pace.

Now, I'd really like to hear from people here, why is it not good to play slowish in things like 5-table tourneys. At the final table, it makes no difference, but when there's other tables to go, these pay 7 places, my idea is the slower the better, and I tend to identify donks by the fact that they play fast. I don't seem to be wrong on that, usually, so... as rr is obviously no donk (I pokerprolabbed him :)... what can the advantages of playing fast in these thing be?

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
(#6)
Quote:
giving me a better chance to get a better hand and gain some chips before the blinds go up
Ok, I can see a point there. I'll think about it :)

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I try to play quicker earlier and then slow down some toward the bubble. This way I can see more hands when the blinds are lower, giving me a better chance to get a better hand and gain some chips before the blinds go up and the antes kick in.
With all the stations, maniacs, etc still in... I want as many hands as I can, to try and get a hand to take thier chips.

Now, where I will play slower or even use clock is especially at the bubble. If I can get enough time in to make the blinds go up on a short stack, where they may have been able to sneak in for the current level if I played faster.. then I'll make sure they pay the extra in blinds.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)
the bubble in a 45 man game is on the final table so there is no advantance to clocking at the bubble in these.
I have never clocked in these. It is true that you get some donks go out quick. But only 7 get paid, so unless you think you have 38/39 donks in them,by timing you are getting to final table with a bigger chip disavantage

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
(#8)
I just realised that when fast-players particularly annoy me is when there is one other table left

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi grade b!

For 90's, i'll clock at bubble.... for 45's I'll clock to get to FT. Sorry.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
(#10)
Note to self, In order to tilt Don B. Chilly.....

Actually just realised I do sometimes clock in these. Like anytime someone types ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ into chat for another player and i think its bugging them.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
(#11)
Don B. Chilly is great!
I hope no-one beats me to it on Twitter etc :)

The zzzzzz thing too, how did I never think of that.
Cause if I try to say anything like, hey, is it a good idea to play fast when there's another table left... the result is that everyone plays faster, whereas, with reverse-psycholgy... :)

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 07:57 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If I know I can tilt someone in ANY tourney by clocking..... trust me, it's getting used.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
(#13)
Since: Apr 2011
lol jwk took the print right off my fingers so to speak ...if I see the zzzzz I usually give em the " Save it, write a book." chirp just to dig the splinter in a little deeper lol.... sure sign your getting on a nerve
Hi don b one thing I could add is play to your comfort zone as far as quick play goes...too fast and I find I can easily make a mistake or worse a miss click..... got a saying in the stone bizz "Hurry up and f^*& it up..." ...... that sort of applies here

cheers r0ck

Last edited by r0ck.carver; Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: oops

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com