Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

is poker really like this

Old
is poker really like this - Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
i have been posting positive threads in these forums, and at one point i was sure that i was on the right track to success. I watched many training videos and attended some live courses. Over the last 3 days it seems that everything i do is wrong. AA's getting cracked left and right, AKs AQs eating dirt and basically everything done is wrong. The most irritating part of it all is when you are getting killed by people Who have a VPIP between 35-70. Even pre-flop all in bets, with worst case AQ is getting killed by someone who has even stack or a little more or a bit less that just decided to call with absolutely nothing. I mean it is getting so sick its becoming rediculous. I tried to laugh it off once, twice, a third time a dozen times but i mean how long can you really go on laughing it off. People say in the long run solid players will prevail, but it seems like on the internet since you arent playing with the same players all the time its not a statement that is really true!! or is it. It love to get some feedback from the players that are making a real killing and not just grinding out making a few dollars here and there. sorry for my B**CHIG but i would really love to hear what you guys have to say, and also some real good pointers from the pros

Old
Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Short answer - Yes poker is like this.

Longer answer. _ yes poker is like this you get upswings where you get money in second best and still winn and when you get money in best and lose.

That is why GOOD bankroll management is SO important so your bankroll can take a hit. It is also very important to review hand histores.

I found after Waching a video or attending a live training i was losing more. And i was I'm trying to change my sytle of play and include things i don't naturally do. So i make mistakes.

I know thats not your Question but i really think this is a part of it , i know it was for me. I am still trying to break out of basic ABC tag play and its hard.......so i get short stacking in a sit and go and over play my ace high (AK or AQ) and take a hit I'd be out as i had let my Self get low on chips by trying a fancy steal from early where it should be 'm looking strong (not taking into account the calling stations in seat 3,5,7 and SB.

Hope it helps a bit

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
yep this is it !! 200 game down swings, upswings,or just plain sideways.suckouts, lucky draws,miracle rivers.great reads terrible plays,bad beats and on occasion the absolutely perfect
beautiful battle between two monster hands.
WHAT A GAME!!!!!

gl y all

Old
Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
Aga, my thoughts on this subject(although will definately bring controversy) Sit down, and start dealing out 9-handed games. Don't look at any of the cards until the river, once the river has been dealt, turn over all 9 hands. Do this 1000 times, and you will find out how this happens. Keep track of the hands that won, make notes about the big hands that get cracked. It happens more than not you see, because AA doesn't have holding power even post flop. A lot of the times, there's a hand out there that will beat yours postflop, just whether the person with that hand called, or not. The only difference between there and here, is that 90% of the open field contain players that play "Bingo Poker", so you see 80% more of that type of poker here than at a home game. Home Games rarely see this kind of thing happening, as most home games have a buy in, and rarely have more than a couple donkeys.

A few books out that I've read show that 2 pair or a set will be made on the flop about 35% of the time(could be wrong with that #), killing your AA, AK, KK. When you start playing premium hands with not raising, it allows for limpers, and limpers allow in others, as now they have pot odds for a wide range of cards.you also have to contend with.

I'm not a big fan of saying this kind of thing, but it has some validity, get your money in while it's good, stay away from bigger stacks, and get in good with the man upstairs, no not god, the man that has the EASY button that activates Poker Stars sick "Twist of Fate"...lol.

Old
Thu Feb 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi aga!

Yes, poker is like that. I've had streaks like this that have lasted for months. All that a player can do is to make the best decisions possible and keep grinding thru it. Streaks like this are a great reason to follow good bankroll management.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 03:38 AM
(#6)
hey guys thanx for the comforting words, i think lolol.

@stakehorse75 believe it or not i have done what you have said, about sitting down with a deck of cards and actually dealing out cards and then turning them over to see the results.

It is true that very rarely in that case do the premium starting hands pre-flop ever hold up. So my question in this case is, do you become a another one of the loose crazy players, limp into every pot to see a flop and take it from there or do you just stick to your 13 VPIP percentage which will usually consist of the top maybe 24 starting hands and wait it out? I am currently following a tight strategy, being very selective of the hands i choose to get involved with but when i do obviously play them strong. It has worked very well for me brining up my initial deposit from $45 to $290 playing SNG's and this was in about a month and a half time period. I also found that i might be off my game because i started using a poker tracking software so i am seeing the really loose/maniacs/weak players im up against and always think that these guys are bluffing so i challenge them, but usually find myself losing to their junk. Again thanx for the reply to my initial post and again i would love to hear what you guys think about my reply to your comments

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 07:00 AM
(#7)
ok so after going over the replies, i took a deap breath and said to myself lets get back into the clear thinking process, i then went ahead and sat at two 27 seater SNG's, well well took 3rd in one and second in the other back to back. dont know what to make of it, i guess its all about playing with a clear mind and being focused. As long as you know a thing or two about the game. Thanks again and i hope i hit my turn around point

Old
arsenault against the donkeys - Fri Feb 17, 2012, 07:36 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
.I kind of like to think of it this way aga, I try to implement some cards that outplay donkeys, like having better drwing cards. like 2 suited non air cards, like KQ, right down to 89, you should also look at the set mining video, it's got some good stuff in there.

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 11:53 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga32_x View Post
hey guys thanx for the comforting words, i think lolol.

@stakehorse75 believe it or not i have done what you have said, about sitting down with a deck of cards and actually dealing out cards and then turning them over to see the results.

It is true that very rarely in that case do the premium starting hands pre-flop ever hold up. So my question in this case is, do you become a another one of the loose crazy players, limp into every pot to see a flop and take it from there or do you just stick to your 13 VPIP percentage which will usually consist of the top maybe 24 starting hands and wait it out? I am currently following a tight strategy, being very selective of the hands i choose to get involved with but when i do obviously play them strong. It has worked very well for me brining up my initial deposit from $45 to $290 playing SNG's and this was in about a month and a half time period. I also found that i might be off my game because i started using a poker tracking software so i am seeing the really loose/maniacs/weak players im up against and always think that these guys are bluffing so i challenge them, but usually find myself losing to their junk. Again thanx for the reply to my initial post and again i would love to hear what you guys think about my reply to your comments
Only if I'm on a table with 8 players who are all in every hand then i will be looser not any two i hope to pick up more than my share.

otherwise no i keep playing my ABC TAG style.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:01 PM
(#10)
yep gradeb i agree m8. Im back to winning again i think i took down my last 3 out of 6 SNG's so its back to normal. I think the clearing the head scenario is exactly what i needed. Now i see everything very clear when getting into the pot. One question i ask myself before i click the betting button is " Do i wanna commit any amount of money with this hand from this position"? and it seems as if the answers to my question is working out like a charm. Thanx guys for listening and spending a few minutes to reply to my thread.

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:08 PM
(#11)
I have finally found taking some time off and playing less helps my game, becusae as you say then i actually consentrate on the game.

If you blame the cards bad beats ect, you can fall in to the trap of oh well i'll move up and get away from the bad players then boom 1 bad beat and time to reload the account.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 18, 2012, 01:02 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2011
well i think time off is what im doing i havent reloaded in over 60 days , not with all the changes and no explantation , bad cards ,call it what you like ,i am disapointed with pso so i will continue league but may have to drop that too will see but depsoits ,not till i see some changes for the better and an explanation

Old
Sun Feb 19, 2012, 03:13 AM
(#13)
hey plaws62, why getting discouraged? Where are you finding yourself lacking? Sometimes you just have to go back to the ABC basics and work from there. Solid hands, category 1,2 in Early positions and then up until category 4 hands in the cutoff and the blinds. Categories broken down based on the training courses in here are as follows

category 1: AA, KK
category 2: QQ, AKs, AKo, JJ
category 3: AQs, AQo, TT, 99
category 4: AJs, KQs, 88, 77

if you use these selections of hands in the early phases of a tourny, up until you can understand your opponents, it will save you some money from getting involved with marginal hands, and then trying to make a difficult decision against the loose players. Later on you can widen your range but it will keep you above water in the beginning, just until the field thins out. Also another thing i found that helps me is, when i catch a hand that i want to get involved with, i try to go up against a max of 2 opponents.

hope that helped a bit

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2011
WhiteStar
Yuppers poker is pretty much as you've described. I've had more bads beats the past 5 days while no doubt putting it in with the best hand only to be beaten on river by miracle 2 outter, straight, etc., etc. Plenty of times when I fold so many hands in a row people forget I'm even at the table, that's how bad of a run I get into sometimes. When things get bad for me even suited connectors don't pan out, so I stick a strategy (which works for me) so I won't make crucial mistakes.

But the fun part of it all is when you make it to final table and finish in the money, that replaces all the bad beat memories. (Starting to really not let bad beats tilt me anymore, get beat, search for another tourney to play in.)

Best advice I can give you, is to hang in there it does get better eventually.

Old
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 03:33 PM
(#15)
Since: Feb 2012
1. learn game teory ,and establish you're A-game
2. Volume, volume,volume
3. Ride the variance
4. ???
5. Profit !

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com