Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl 6max AA- Am i isolating myself against a 10

Old
5nl 6max AA- Am i isolating myself against a 10 - Fri Feb 17, 2012, 04:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Hi everyone,

my opponent in this hand was quite active,his stats were vpip:40 pfr:25 over around 45 hands.
With my preflop raiseing i set up a good spr of a bit over 4 so i thought i'd play it maybe a little more aggressively than i usually would.i thought i was probably getting it in on later streets anyway so i could just play it faster on the flop and get it in.

But through doing so do i isolate myself against a 10?,he still could have alot of hands that dont include a 10 especially after i 3bet preflop plus having a good spr for this board, so i felt comfortable with the play but just wanted to question it.
Would appreciate everyones thoughts thanks

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 06:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy1996 View Post
Hi everyone,

my opponent in this hand was quite active,his stats were vpip:40 pfr:25 over around 45 hands.
With my preflop raiseing i set up a good spr of a bit over 4 so i thought i'd play it maybe a little more aggressively than i usually would.i thought i was probably getting it in on later streets anyway so i could just play it faster on the flop and get it in.

But through doing so do i isolate myself against a 10?,he still could have alot of hands that dont include a 10 especially after i 3bet preflop plus having a good spr for this board, so i felt comfortable with the play but just wanted to question it.
Would appreciate everyones thoughts thanks
Hi Nashy,

I have to agree with your aggro approach to this line on this flop...

Versus a player showing the sort of VPiP as this one, yes a T is certainly in his call range, but the question I'd ask myself is this: would he really lead out like this on a T?

The answer is maybe...maybe he is worried enough about the draws possible here...maybe he is leveraging his loose image to extract value by betting out strong...maybe, maybe, maybe...

The real thing which tells you if your decision to go with your pre flop SPR that allows you to set up a stack off on AA here is: are there things BESIDES a T he may follow this line on?

You gotta think this guy may not give up on strong flush draws (esp with overs), pp 88+, and maybe even 89 type hands. You really are not in bad shape versus his entire range most likely.

Were he tighter, or a bit less aggro, that shove might be more troubling, but after you raise to $1.20 over his donk lead of 46c, I would think you are fine to go ahead and go the rest of the way when he shoves in this size pot. Sometimes he will wake up with a T, and you probably lose, but it seems that a bit more often he wakes up with a flush draw and only gets there some of the time, and a decent amount of the time he wakes up with JJ or something, and almost never gets there.

To me, this is definately worth the risk after you set up the low SPR going to the flop.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 06:57 AM..

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 09:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
thanks Jdean,

yeah that was my line of thinking at the time also,especially against this type of player as u said.
he can have alot of different hands a large part of the time in that spot.
thanks again i always appreciate it

Old
Sat Feb 18, 2012, 02:30 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
hi,love the preflop raise thats what I call a statement,back off I have aces. I think the opp must of had some sort of pp starting hand, I would be worried about pp 7s,or even quad tens.
Can not see any opp calling preflop with draw type hands for 35c raise.
Another thought would be something like QQ or JJ overs to the board.
Thats my thoughts on it hope you post the outcome.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com