Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL Q,Q on BTN facing EP raise & 2 flat callers

Old
10NL Q,Q on BTN facing EP raise & 2 flat callers - Fri Feb 17, 2012, 08:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi! guys, No solid reads on the opps who stick around to see the flop, they have been on the table for less than 10 hands or so.

In hindsight I am not too happy about my bet sizing pre-flop and on the flop, I should have 3bet about $2.50-$2.70 to go pre-flop.

Is it easy fold when facing 2 AI's given that we don't have any solid reads or getting 3-1is too good odds to fold in this spot when hand equity is around 53%?

Could I have played the hand in any other way?

Cheers.

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi deadeyz,

I agree that the preflop 3b sizing is too small. My general rule of thumb as a starting point is 3x the raise size, adding 1x for each caller. Here that would be 1.80... from there I like adjusting up a bit for value since it seems like there might be some action here. So I'm thinking $2-$2.15 seems good.

On the flop, I'm getting it in. The SPR is 2 with the bigger stack, just over 1 with the smaller one. Basically with this low a stack to pot ratio I know before I see the board that I'm going to commit any time there's no ace or king flopping. Sure we may be beat. Likely by a set if we are, it's hard to range either of these guys on KK or AA given the preflop action. But in a low spr spot they should be willing to commit with many worse hands. All draws might be happy to get it in here, A9, TT, JJ, etc. So yeah, in the long run I think this is +EV to get it in with a big overpair to the board in a low spr spot.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
(#3)
Hi! Dave,

Thanks for your comments. Would it have been better to jam on the flop once its checked around to us to put the pressure on the opps if they are on draws? Or it doesn't matter we are getting it in either by shoving our self or calling opps shove.

Cheers

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi deadeyz,

I don't like overbet shoving on the flop, no. 2-x the size of the pot is a bit too much. It may not get players to fold draws anyway but we don't mind getting it in with a draw, it's fine for us to get it in good. And the pot is sizable enough that we don't mind a draw that has decent equity folding (but I doubt they'll fold draws at this point). But we really don't want to fold out the parts of their range that we have smashed, and an overbet shove is likely to do just that. We want someone feeling like they have to continue with 9x or TT, spazzing out with 88 or other smaller pairs. We gain a lot of value from those holdings. Just a normal c-bet works fine, and if we get called it sets up a reasonable turn shove for us. If we overbet shove we're less likely to get value from spazz hands which have poor equity, but will still get called by better hands and hands that have good equity in the pot (like a flush draw + 1 overcard for example).

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 04:11 PM
(#5)
Thanks Dave, so all in all I think I played the OK apart from my pre-flop bet size which I need to learn a lesson from this experience.

Cheers.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com