Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Fifty50 Bubble Play for Bonus Chips

Old
Fifty50 Bubble Play for Bonus Chips - Fri Feb 17, 2012, 10:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I've no idea what the opp is doing here in this hand, although I do like the fact they are willing to get involved at this stage against a bigger stack. Obviously terrible play here to chase to the river then fold. I was really only worried about AA so kept barrelling.

Although I've put this in the STT hand analysis forum, what I'm also really interested in here is how much value we can look to get at the bubble, and how much risk in general we should take in the Fifty50s given the prize structure.

This is a $1.50 Fifty50 which pay $1.35 to all the top 5 plus $0.04 per 100 chips in their stacks at the end. I have played quite a few this month and this was not my first outright win, but was the first time I got paid just above $4.00 for 1st place, with $4.03 for $2.53 profit. I busted the opp next hand when my Jx caught the J and was checked down in a 3 way pot.

2nd to 5th here got from $2.61 to $2.22, which is not much difference bewteen them. They were all risk averse once we were down to 7 players and even more so at the bubble. The opp who folded what was presumably a good starting hand here might not be so bad - they just missed this time. Are they better off in the long run to play this way, and either get busted or get chips at the bubble, than the others who sat waiting for somebody to bust and see their own stacks & prizes depleted by the blinds?

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old
Fri Feb 17, 2012, 02:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi EdinFreeman,

I really like the way you've played the hand. Large bets on each street to price out the draw. Take down a pot with no showdown is good. When weaker hands call we're getting great value.

This looks like an interesting bubble with 6 very even stacks. As you've mentioned the payout structure calls for a very large emphasis on survival. Very much like a satelitte. The difference here being if you cash with 1 chip instead of getting the payout we actually only break-even (minus rake) So i think it is important here to still be focused on value.

If we are focused on survival alone we would need to be cashing close to 100% to be profitable. This is not maintainable so to be profitable at Fifty50s we also need to be taking value at the table.

Good Job
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com