Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Turn shove correct or not?

Old
Turn shove correct or not? - Sun Feb 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Pretty early on in a $1.50 27man SnG. Managed to chip up a bit and then this happens.

I seem to be busting out a lot due to crap like this. Looking back I can see myself actually raising preflop, not a clue what he would have done then. Judging from what I'd seen from him, I doubt he'd have folded after putting money into the pot. With the top pair and nut flush draw, I think the flop bet was a good idea. The turn is good for me as well, so I bet and he raises. At this point I'm putting him on some kind of ace or a flush draw or some middle pair or so. He could be having a whole lot of nothing too.

What do you think of the shove on the turn? His call is completely stupid imho, and the suckout, well, let's not go there ... I hate running into 3-outers.

Old
Sun Feb 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Ov3rsight I'm not sure if this is intended as a bad beat story! It's pretty close. you have 40% of a royal and 20 bb's on a guy that you can clearly read to know he is a donkey but here is the problem with how you played this. You have a top 5% hand and have a perfect squeeze opportunity and you decide to show weakness or maybe cuteness by seeing a free flop that puts you in a jackpot. If you trusted your read then you should have jammed pre.
Once you hit this flop as hard as you did you are not folding so you try and extract chips and you lose. You have hands analysed by some trainers and know this is how it goes. Are you really looking for advice here.
So since you posted this what can we learn from it? Trust our reads! Jam it in his face, high 5 the screen and say eat it bitch!

Giddy Up!

Old
Sun Feb 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi ov3, you know where you went wrong ,preflop mistake by not raising. Looking from the opps view he would not put you on an ace on the flop so probably thought his/her K was good.
In answer to your question yes the turn shove was the move to make,however ask yourself what got you there in this particular spot.
preflop raise?
flop shove?

You played the hand ok, not a big deal to play a bit crafty,and you got terrible unlucky this time.
Just take satisfaction in the fact you read the opp like a book, knowing that you are able to do this is worth more than the buy in you lost.
Do not feel bad about it take pride in knowing you have the ability to read an opp.
Good luck ov3 hope this helps you.
You were the better player, the opp was lucky.

Old
Sun Feb 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

I would have started this hand by raising preflop. With a limp and a complete before my spot in the BB, with AJs, I'm making a std raise in this situation.
When I flop top pair and the nut flush draw, I'd absolutely follow up my preflop raise with a c-bet on the flop.
The turn is a blank and I'd absolutely fire another barrel on the turn. This time, the opp decides to min-raise. This situation is why I like the preflop raise, as early in a tourney, players will stay with any 2 suited cards or Ax all the time. I'd definitely be worried about the opp hitting A9, K9 or 99. If I didn't think the opp was ahead, I like the 3-bet shove, but since I'm not sure whether I'm ahead or not, I'd call and re-evaluate on the river.
When the river's a blank, I'd have made another value bet and called a raise by the opp.... which gets me into the same situation, but I'd have seen the last card.

The opp here also had more than 3 outs for the river. They had the three fives and also the other two kings, so they had 5 outs, or a 10% chance to win.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com